HMS Euryalus by egen -

Introduction
In this blog I want to tell about construction the to the first model with frames.
I use remarkable drawings which are published in the book HMS Euryalus (1803) by Allan Yedlinsky and Wayne Kepmson http://www.seawatchbooks.com/111003.
As I hope for the help of members of this forum. Any help, questions and remarks - are welcomed

Here is my short review.

I build my project from alder und pear/

I use a different method for hull and would like to talk about it a little bit. I saw it in a book and blog that uses a Russian master Narim.

I made a few planks the correct size  and stuck glue paper patterns

post-355-0-04701200-1361200424_thumb.jpg

post-355-0-37306500-1361200482_thumb.jpg

I drank them with only one side, and after that I glued all frames on a large sheet of paper

post-355-0-13598600-1361200533_thumb.jpg

post-355-0-52033300-1361200542_thumb.jpg

post-355-0-62175200-1361200573_thumb.jpg

post-355-0-31997400-1361200599_thumb.jpg

After everything was done, I removed the paper.

post-355-0-85401600-1361200630_thumb.jpg

It seems, that you like to build her only with double frames. This makes the job much easier but is very uncommon for English Ships of that time.

I am interested to see, whow your build goes on.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

After that I made out on the housing frames. They do not consist of 2 parts as the French style. I pre-glued only where it is required to design.

post-355-0-81221200-1361201791_thumb.jpg

Then each of frame I removed the inside of the wood

post-355-0-89729900-1361201802_thumb.jpg

And again gathered all the frames ready to jig. Now I use glue.

post-355-0-48846400-1361201844_thumb.jpg

post-355-0-81283800-1361201865_thumb.jpg

On the outer side of the rope is fastened frames temporarily

post-355-0-02215800-1361201887_thumb.jpg

post-355-0-54818500-1361201929_thumb.jpg

post-355-0-34521100-1361201938_thumb.jpg

post-355-0-73764900-1361201960_thumb.jpg

Very glad to see you back.  The framing looks super as you followed the varied spacings and offset timbers to accommodate the ports etc.  VERY nice work.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Glad to see this build log back also!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

I like the string tied battens.  No glue to remove.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Don't know if I missed something somewhere, but I don't recall ever seeing such a prefabricated assembly done off the ship.   It must be much easier doing this out in the open.  I hope it all fits in place without too much difficulty.  I would never have had the nerve to try it, so I am very anxious to see how it all goes in place.   It sure does look great.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Really wonderful, Egen

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Don't know if I missed something somewhere, but I don't recall ever seeing such a prefabricated assembly done off the ship.   It must be much easier doing this out in the open.  I hope it all fits in place without too much difficulty.  I would never have had the nerve to try it, so I am very anxious to see how it all goes in place.   It sure does look great.

Allan

Thanks for your attention and your fears. I really had doubts as it is correct to do such elements, and on other version and was compelled to do all installations carlings, ledjes and bulkheads already in the hull. It was very difficult,  long time and inaccurately. Now I try other way.

It really isn't established yet inside, and I plan it to make the following step. possibly it to be necessary to unglue some elements. what it is better to establish into place. I yet don't know.

What are the woods you are using? - I like the contrast.

You are progressing really well.

Cheers

Rob

It is a maple and a pear. I covered them with shellac, but I am not sure as it became more yellow than I expected. In any case I experimentiry, this good time when it is possible to hide all the mistakes and experiments in the hull.

Rob,

I saw your post on the topic Euryalus guns from the 2nd volume ..
Do you plan to do them yourself or have it any supplier?
I had the experience of ordering these guns in brass. I could not do it myself.
I had a project for Bell-Pulle (which is currently frozen, but other members of the company have continued the build it)

I buyed it and they was very nice.
I'm waiting for a review of Dan Vadas his order guns from Baranov that would have to discuss it in detail offer with all users, who are interested it.

It would take some of the costs that would make the master model guns and carronades for Euryalus.

Hi Egen

For the guns on the model, I think the most I could do is the carriages. I do not have a metal lathe and do not like casting. One of the companies I work for can do mold making and casting, and have said if I can do a master they could do the rest.

I would certainly be interested if someone was going to do the guns.

For a 1:12 scale version, I was thinking of trying to turn a barrel for each using my little wood lathe.

Cheers

Rob

Current build: HMS Blanche 1800, Scratch POF