Enterprise by src - Constructo - 1:51 - or Lessons in Adapt Improvise and Overcome

Thanks for all the likes its always appreciated.

Russ, yea that really makes a difference even at this scale. Especially the pins. 

I am very mildly concerned with the cross piece, its dadoed and pinned and seems very secure but its such a small glue area and right on the edge. When i did my joinery I went in just a bit over 1/32" about 0.0335" instead of .3125" to give myself a good shoulder and then went 1/64" on the bit just to hide any discrepancies in my cuts. Never having rigged anything before I dont know how much stress will be placed on this part. It appears that the rigging that terminate here are for the Stay Sail and the Fore Jigger. I dont know the terminology of the line yet but it appears to be a line that will control how much wind or how full the sail is allowed to be. Clew line?? I guess its time to really start reading Masting and Rigging. I am probably worrying unnecessarily. Me?? Never! :D Ok off to work.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Sam:
My theory is to give it as much strength as you can. Better safe than sorry. If it is glued and pinned, it should be okay. (famous last words) :)

Russ

Sweet bitts, Sam.  As for the ladders... good practice for when  you step over to the darkside. ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Woo Hoo!

McMaster-Carr delivered my new #4-40 taps today. I was able to finish a plug cutter for my trucks. 

I started with some short lengths of 3/8" pencil rod, mostly because we have a bunch of scraps at the shop. Also I figured a heavier body might be less likely to burn the edges on my trucks. 

Not having a metal lathe or a mill I had to adapt and improvise a way to make these. I chucked the blanks in my fastest hand held drill motor and spun them against a running belt sander. First 80 then 120 grit then I hand filed to the best finish I could get. I then went to my wood lathe and chucked the blank up there. Using a jacobs chuck I through drilled the pilot hole for the axel, then stepped up several times to get my finished bore size. 

I then drilled my set screw hole, here is where I ran into trouble; I broke my bottoming tap, inside the hole and couldnt get it out so I had to make a new blank. I then broke the pilot hole bit in the new blank, inside the hole again!!!!! Fortunately I had made a couple of blanks (I am learning....) so was able to get  one complete today.

I have started a new set of blanks for back up. I thought I would get fancy and clamped a file into the drill vise and tried to turn the outer diameter down so I dont waste so much wood, it works but looks kind of crude.

Naturally once I finished tapping my setscrew hole I had to try things out. I grabbed a length of lumber and cut two truck, all told it cuts amazingly clean, especially considering how I have gone about making these. I am pretty pleased with the results so far. I need to come up with a way to clean up the edges, I am thinking a mandril of some sorts and throw them on the lathe at the slowest speed and use a file. We will see.

post-326-0-67122500-1400634398_thumb.jpg

My first plug cutter, kind of rough but it works!

post-326-0-85778400-1400634396_thumb.jpg

A blank for two more.

post-326-0-95754700-1400634394_thumb.jpg

The first cuts. Pretty clean all things considered.

post-326-0-01995300-1400634393_thumb.jpg

Even the backs arent too bad

post-326-0-79730600-1400634390_thumb.jpg

Compared to the drawings

post-326-0-93949900-1400634386_thumb.jpg

Mounted to a carriage. These are both rear trucks. Hopefully the weekend I can get the tooling for fronts made. as well as a method to clean everything up.

Sam

post-326-0-03110500-1400634389_thumb.jpg

Wow, Sam! Your carriages are going to look awesome!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Those carriages really do look fantastic!

But thank you for the photos showing the steps as I just love seeing the creation of pieces from raw materials and how it is done!

I also hope that the next time you get a "relaxing break time" there is more "relaxing" than "breaking" though haha

Thank you for the kind words and taking some of your precious little time back to visit all of us Bindy! We have missed you. A new avatar, you never told us your a model!

As far as "how its done" I cant speak for others, but that's how I did it. Most likely there is an easier way. My mind typically finds the more difficult path from A to B. I am please with the results so far though.

Hmm 'Break Time," after today thats going to be non-existent for the next week or two.

Build wise not much to show. I have drilled the holes for the belay pins in the cross piece and started on my new scratch built ladders; Constructo......? Since I do not have decent lighting in my garage any power tool use is done during the day, so today I am finishing the last cutter for the trucks, I might even get them all cut out. I dont plan on talking any "breaks" till I finish the machine work, so I shouldnt break any more bits or taps................Who am I kidding???

Sam

Sam,

If you find the secret to not breaking bits and taps, you'll make a fortune.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Can't wait to see the ladders.  Love the comment about your mind finding the most difficult path from A to B.  Sounds familiar.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

• 2 weeks later...

I can use about 36 myself :)  :D  :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

LOL! Thanks for the compliments. As far as supplying to others, I will direct everybody to a post several pages back where I reminded Robbyn about a mantle for my parents fireplace I started in High School..........My dad got tired of the wait and passed on, mom gave up and bought her own and my brother installed it. That was one of the first things he pointed out to my better half when she (me?) committed the grave tactical error of meeting the family.  :D

Rich, finishing up a job this week, hopefully I can get back to work over the weekend, might have a couple of assembly pictures for you if you are still noodling about how to assemble yours.

Carl! Its been a long time, does this mean your building again? I will have to drop in and see.

Augie, see my above disclaimer on manufacturing.  ;)

Brian no need to apologize, we all build to our level of satisfaction. Master Builder??? Thank you very much, but I feel I have quit a ways to go before I deserve that title. 

Thanks all for the likes and comments, hope to be back to building in the next few days.

Sam

Edited by src

Not jet Sam. I'll give you a buzz when Dolphyn has resurfaced from below newspapers, folders, and ... mainly DUST. However, I've first some major catching up to do. Love your stamina!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Woo Hoo! Assignment is done and now back to building. 

I discovered the other day my rear trucks are 0.020" oversized. Insert appropriately colorful Longshoreman vocabulary here. I almost said I will live with it but they are very close to the same size as the front trucks. I didnt want to make all new parts since I am getting low on Manzonia but didnt feel I would be able to cut them down cleanly by hand. What to do. What to do. Back to the wood lathe and make a new cutting tool........ I used the back side of the front cutter and now all I need to do is reverse the tool. With 1:51 being such on odd scale I most likely will never use this tool again but its there if I need it. I might work for 1:48. 

Then I needed a way to hold the truck firmly and centered to the tool. 

A couple of weeks ago I tried to make an arbor to spin the truck and cut a small chamfer on the edges. That failed when I discovered the #2 screws were the same size as the axels. I salvaged that and turned my trucks down. Some broke, more have an imprint os the hex head, but many of them are usable. I may still have to cut some new parts, but I wont have to replace all of them.

Sorry for the blown out back grounds on some of the pictures, I was shooting against a concrete driveway and was too lazy to set up a backdrop for this.

Making a new cutting tool

post-326-0-78402600-1402169598_thumb.jpgpost-326-0-18041200-1402169597_thumb.jpg

The finished tool

post-326-0-68504500-1402169595_thumb.jpgpost-326-0-02463600-1402169593_thumb.jpg

An arbor to hold the over sized trucks

post-326-0-56252300-1402169591_thumb.jpg

In use

post-326-0-44424700-1402169588_thumb.jpgpost-326-0-91834000-1402169586_thumb.jpg

The result. Based on the drawings here at MSW, the new and improved trucks are 0.005" undersized, I can live with that.

post-326-0-23236600-1402169583_thumb.jpg

Now to figure out a jig to make the bolts that hold the trucks together. Not sure if I can pull this one off since I dont have an indexing head. I have lots of scrap trucks to play with though.

Thats it for now,

Sam

Sam:

The trucks look good. The rear trucks are always a little smaller than the forward trucks. Good work.

Russ

Love it Sam! Your toolbox has extended too ... if not the use of it! Looking gooooood

Carl

Thanks everybody! Its always appreciated.

Lory, thanks for dropping in. Yes we are/were all newbies. I still consider myself a newbie - this is my first build although its been 5 years in the building, lots of start and stop in my world. 

Absolutely stick with it! you mentioned sanding, do you have a build log up?

Russ, do you happen to know if the smaller wheels were simply to give additional elevation, or does it somehow help control recoil? I can see where the smaller wheels might place more weight in the rear causing the recoil to want to go through the deck instead of straight back.

Carl, I have had the lathe for a while now, its been at work. I brought it home a few months ago both to force the company to stop asking me to loan it to others and also to do my masts and spars. As you can see I havent got to those yet.  I keep finding other mini projects to extend my build time. I think I might be able to set a world record for prolonging a build.  :P

Sam

Edited by src

Sam:

I have read that the larger trucks on the front of the carriage helped compensate for the deck camber.

Russ

Sam,

Isn't it natural to prolong the building time with 'sub projects' when confronted with (scarry) items like masts. rigging ...  :o I suppose taht currently I seem to be carrying that record  :P

Carl

Carl, the masts dont bother me although maybe they should since I have never done one before. Actually the carriages are a bit of a chore, 14 repetitions. I don know that I will ever build anything much bigger than 20 guns, I dont do well with repetition. Which is why I spent so much time figuring out how to mass produce things like trucks, trying to make 60 round disks about .25" in diameter would have caused a subdural meltdown!  :D

The better half is going away for a few days this week leaving me alone with the animals and my build, there just might be some real progress by this time next Sunday. silly woman - good thing there is a dishwasher here.........

Sam