Enterprise by src - Constructo - 1:51 - or Lessons in Adapt Improvise and Overcome

Rich, Carl, thank you!!! Always appreciated.

I epoxied my trucks on last night, left them in the oven with the pilot light on most of th cured up just fine. A couple didn't. Depending on how they are this evening I may have to re-glue them.

Ole me sciatica grumbled at me as I sat there setting trucks, looks like it's going to be rigging carriages instead of finishing my windows, I think I can do that standing. This getting older is bs. I want my youth back!!!!!! But I want it with wisdom and financial security that come with age!! Is that asking too much, :)

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Old age isn't for sissies. I take my 500 mg of "vitamin I" each day.(Ibuprofen) to help with the aches and pains.

Sorry but lol. To your comment Rich. Did make me laugh.. Sam I also take a mix of ... er.. things. I do recommend 0.3lL of coffee every 2 hours. ..helps the bladder...

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

Sam,

I'm glad I can do without, though my rear admiral swallows some of the nice stuff (Rich ;) ) She has the same age Sam, maybe year of birth related ... :huh:

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Sam, the color on that ordinance is just right. Very impressive.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Love the tones on the cannon.  Sorry 'bout the aches and pains.  Look at the brite side --- they get worse when you hit 70!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks for all the comments and likes, always appreciated.

Rich, Augi, ummmm... thanks...?  :P

I need some advice on rigging my gun carriages. Lavery's Arming and Fitting says that a 6 pound cannon had two single blocks on each side for the gun tackle so I ordered some from Chuck (pictures on a page or two back) I started stropping the block and just want to make sure I am on the right track before I get too far into this. One block will go hooked to a ring on the bulwarks, that will have a length of rope seized to it, the other block will essentially be free meaning other than the hook stropped to one end and rope running through the pulley it will not be stropped to the tackle.

Below are picture of what I have done so far (thats two nights and most of Saturday figuring this stropping out).

I feel like I am on the right track but wanted to check in with the more experienced before I waste several nights going in the wrong direction.  :)

post-326-0-51179200-1412640775_thumb.jpg

This is more or less the order I did these in

post-326-0-17156700-1412640779_thumb.jpg

A little closer. Still have lots of room for improvement, but with the naked eye from a foot away (51' in the RW) they dont look too bad

Sam

Good looking cannon and tackle. The blocks and hooks look very good and well scaled for the cannon.

Russ

Go on Sam,

Post some pictures of what you are doing with the rigging on the carriages and I can use it when ever I'm up to doing that with those few cannons on the Aggy  :D  :D

For me it looks good !

But I'm not that experienced ......

Sjors

Found this one for you. Looks like two single sheaved blocks, the gun could be a long six

post-33-0-86143300-1412683982.png

On another forum this ship is mounted with 14 6-pounders:

HMS Ontario (1780) Scale: 1:24

post-33-0-20102400-1412684748.png

Hope this helps ...

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks everybody.

Sjors I will loan you my rigging gnomes if they can wrAp their heads around this.

Cog. It appears from the drawing the block with the line seized to it will hook to the carriage and the free end will exit out the block hooked to the bulwarks? That seems to make sense. If that's the case then pre siezing like I am should work.

On a different note I was able to sit long enough to get a set of mullions into one of my frames. I may get those windows done yet.

Sam

• 1 month later...

This is most likely my last post till after christmas. Other than the last two days we have been on 12 hour days 7 days a week for the last three weeks and will pretty much continue until the 20th. So, very minimal build time for me. My bank account (and the IRS) are loving the double time though! Who needs sleep or hobbies? There is coffee and dreaming while awake!

Just before the insanity started at work I was working on my quarter badge window frames as my sciatica eased up. I finished my first set only to find I made my jig wrong. I had thought I allowed for a small amount of trimming top and bottom but ended up making them so big by the time I trimed them down there wasnt enough frame left to hold everything together! Dohh!!

post-326-0-84101000-1417066568_thumb.jpg

Looks OK

post-326-0-67112700-1417066570_thumb.jpg

Too big! DOH!!! :o 

So I made a new jig and built some new frames. When I made my dados for the mullions I cut just a tad too deep and ended up wit numerous match sticks......Doh-dohh!! Somewhere in all this there were a couple more screw ups that required starting over. All told I think I made these 5 times before I got something I felt was workable. 

I wan to get over to a place called SilPak and buy some casting epoxy for my glazing. I have several failed attempts at frames so I will experiment with that. If it doesnt work out I have some micro crystal clear I can use. My only concern is it dries so soft. we will see.

post-326-0-71952700-1417066572_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-54535500-1417066574_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-71540900-1417066576_thumb.jpg

Several attempts later.

While glue was drying on the frames I continued stropping blocks for the gun carriages and ordered some 0.025 rope from Chuck for my breaching ropes. Tonight i was able to rig one carriage - took me most of two hours to do. There is still room for improvement but I am mostly OK with my first attempt. Not sure how much breaching rope I should have and how it would terminate on a lashing like this, so far I have not found a picture or drawing that shows the and of the breaching rope. All the drawings I have seen the rope is cut off at the ring, I assume for clarity.

I havent trimmed the lropes yet as I may still play with them or redo them as I gain experience.

post-326-0-88123200-1417066755_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-58926600-1417066758_thumb.jpg

Not sure how much of the breaching rope to leave, leaning toward the left side.

Hope everybody has a great holiday season. 

Till then ,

sam

Sam ,

The windows are looking just fine !

Then about the breech rope,

The eyebolt for the breech rope on the bulwark has to go a little bit more to the left ( and on the other side to the right...)

Then the breech rope goes to that eyebolt without a block but true a eyebolt that's on the carriage

And it's touching the deck.

So ,when the cannon is fired, it can go a little backwards but not to much.

Otherwise you are damaging the bulwark.

The way you are doing it now, it has no space to go anywhere......

This is not critic but only help....

Take a look at Augie's build how he touch the eyebolts.

Sjors

Sjors, thank you, I will move the breaching bolts farther out from the gun ports. Thats what i love about this site, everybody has your back covered.

Regarding the lashing, the second drawing below is what I am aiming for (sorry no pun intended this time) Rather than a 'run in" or "run out" look I am going for a lashed to the bulwarks display. As you can see in the drawings the breach rope is terminated at the ring so I dont know where the extra would go. somehow lashed out of the way.

My two chase guns I intend to lash like the bottom drawing to hide my decking disaster.

post-326-0-55989500-1417104401_thumb.jpg

Sam

Edited by src

Happy Holidays over there.  We'll be here when you get back!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hey Sam, Fanatic Looking work, Always great to look at. I think you have the cannons just right 

I have had no build time since coming back from Vacation, and probably wont until the end of the year!

Tc for now 

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

Sam on post 126, you show in the photo a very small plane, could you give me some info on this please.

Sorry just went back and reread everything from the beginning on your log, I have been gone so long I needed to refresh my memory. Still a beautiful build, from every angle!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Robyn,

Great to see you back!!!

That plane is an ibex finger plane. They come in various sizes and shapes. My computer died on Monday so I can't access my hardrives or backup drive at the moment. With my work schedule at the moment it's going to be a few days till all that is resolved so I can't give you a link where I bought it. The best I can tell you is it was a luthier website.

Good luck looking forward to seeing more of you around here.

Sam

Hi Sam,

Just discovered your log...I've always liked the Enterprise and I think the work on yours shows some real craftsmanship, I'll follow to completion with interest.

J

• 4 weeks later...

Woo Hoo!!!! Finally a bit of progress!.

When we last spoke work was getting in the way of life. Our Holiday work binge culminated in an 18 hour day followed by a 4 hour nap at a local hotel then another 16 hours to complete the install. A two hour power nap then a drive home a night rest and off to the Bay area for Xmas. In the midst of the 12/7 day work weeks my long suffering G5 died, what little MSW I could get was via cell phone. Needles to say not much was accomplished build-wise. Happily everything is back to normal in my world (SNAFU!!  :D)

I have been busily stoping blocks and pre frapping training tackle so not much to show there.

I did manage to find some water clear epoxy at a fishing store based on the recommendations here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8921-casting-epoxies-from-smooth-on/page-2 Justnow I finished "glazing" my quarter windows. I think its going to work out well; it better, I really don't want to make any more window frames for this build.

I used a product called High Build rod wrapping finish from Flex Coat. It dries crystal clear and even comes with graduated syringes for dispensing the correct amounts of resin and hardener. One nice thing about this stuff is the work time you have, a mixed amount about the size of a US quarter - about 1ml was workable for a good 20 minutes before it started to thicken. My thermostat in the hall next to my work area is set at 68 degrees (20c)

post-326-0-34419900-1420927366_thumb.jpg

I glued a bit of clear styrene to the back with some plastic-zap and then mixed up my epoxy and added a bit of testers white enamel to cloud the glass a bit. All that time searching for a water clear epoxy and I go and add paint to it! Go figure.  :rolleyes:

I found a tiny bit flowed across the styrene and then a larger drop would flow and fill the opening nicely, after I filled all the openings I went back and added just a bit more as I was noticing some shrinkage. The picture below is right after filling the last opening. You can see the openings I just filled have curved just a bit already, the flatter looking areas are the areas I did last. I used the Better Halves  hair dryer to remove the 2-3 bubbles that had not flowed out yet - SHHHHHH! Don't tell her! There was 5-10 minutes between finishing and taking a picture. Afterwards into the oven with just the pilot light on.

post-326-0-23951800-1420927392_thumb.jpg

Thats all the news thats fit to print, the better half is out for the day so I am going to go and see how many more blocks I can strop before she comes home and wants to partake in some "Domestic Bliss" AKA House Cleaning............ :D

Sam

• 2 months later...

Carl,

A view from the stern is going to take longer than I estimated. Work went crazy again and we just finished up another marathon session. More 18 hour days, I think I am single handedly funding the US government with all the extra taxes they have taken. :o

I sat down this morning with the goal of installing my windows and maybe even getting the Badges installed this weekend. Murphy however had other ideas. It seems when I rebuilt the frames I didn't take accurate enough measumements on my width between columns. They fit just fine but the small additions I added to give some detail cover up too much of the frames. Looks like another round of framing windows, this time with fatter stiles.

I am going to change my last name to Glasier, or maybe Mud....

It just fits in with our motto at work; "We Do It Better Cause We Do It Twice!" In my case its four or five times!!! :P

post-326-0-80155000-1428167498_thumb.jpgpost-326-0-57311200-1428167538_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-11993100-1428167557_thumb.jpg

I more or less placed the assembly where it will go to see if I was being overly fussy. Just gonna have to suck it up and redo. My cost per hour on this build is slowly going down, pretty soon it will be free!!!! :D

Thats all for now,

Sam

Hi Sam,

Great to see you got some time in on the Enterprise. Those windows look beautiful! I'm not sure that I see what the problem is at all. Is there something that doesn't look right? If so, I'm not seeing it.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Steve, thanks for the kind words. I can't see the stiles, they're covered by the additions I added to the columns. Its minor in the grand scheme but I think it will forever bug me.The good news is the port side looks to fit much better so I will only have to re-do the starboard side. Woo Hoo! Ill just take the surname Mu instead of Mudd!! haha. I am staining the ga==badges right now so I can't get a picture, tonight perhaps.

Sam