Enterprise by src - Constructo - 1:51 - or Lessons in Adapt Improvise and Overcome

Robbyn, thanks! I kinda figured others did something similar but didnt see anything in the forums.

I dont usually spend too much time making pretty jigs, more wham-bam! I do appreciate the art like tools and jigs I see here though.

Rich, thanks. The break was needed.

Tim,

Thanks for stopping in, always enjoy new faces. stop by again.

Didnt get much of anything accomplished today build wise - domestic bliss (house cleaning) reared its ugly head.

sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Sam,

That's a great solution to a pesky problem.  Everything looks sharp on the carriages.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, thanks. They are working out ok so far. I have been slowly building more jigs so I have a total of four as well as making more carriages. At the moment I have a wopping TWO carriages done...... Woo. hoo!! Only twelve more to go. So glad I am not making one of those 60 gun shops ships at the moment.
I have been making round head nails at the same time.
Maybe I will have something to show over the weekend.
Sam

Edited by src

Hi Sam,

Your carriages are stunning.  I got so far with my Endeavour ones and put them aside until I my mind set for doing them is right.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Terrific job, Sam! Seeing this has been great motivation to free up time to work on my own Enterprise. I always look forward to my email notifications that you, Bindy and many others have made progress.

Builds in progress:

Mamoli Gretel

Constructo Enterprise

Future builds:

Amati Santa Maria (and 15 others that caught my eye....)

Just a quick update. I have assembled all my carriages to a certain point. Still ned to make the Bolsters, Quoins and trucks as well as all the metal work. 

post-326-0-22750000-1398647713_thumb.jpg

I am thinking of displaying with an unconventional arrangement with the carriages lashed sideways, at least the two front carriages. That will hide my oops from earlier. I need t do some research and see how common this was. 

post-326-0-23750800-1398647728_thumb.jpg

Sam

Hi Sam Great work as normal. yes the cannons look nice as you have them in the picture, not sure is they would have been like that at the time, You have it how you want it :)

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

Rich,

Yea I am not sure as to how common that was. Most of the pictures/drawings I see show them either run in/out or with the muzzle against the bullworks. I have seen a couple of drawings showing a lashing with the carriage sideways like I have in the lower picture. On a smaller ship like the Enterprise I suspect that there may have been times when they were lashed sideways but I have no proof. Such as times when there was little likely hood of combat. When I look at how much deck space is taken up with the guns run in and lashed it seems like an awful lot of deck space taken up. Then again, I am probably using 21st century values. Either way I will be lashing the two forward most carriages that way just to hide the mess I made out of my deck when I moved the bits from the deck to the cap rail.As far as the rest, a bit of research and then a game time decision. Its gonna be weeks before I get to that point so I am not worried about it at the moment.

Sam

Carriages look great whichever way you decide Sam!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Rich, Robbyn, Thanks!

Quick update. While I noodle over how I want to make my trucks I am making the various bits and assorted furniture. I have made the Fore Jeer and Sheet Bits. I think thats what they are called. I am pretty pleased with the Jeer Bits, I may remake the Sheet Bits, they are a little inconsistent on the chamfers.

I was really pleased with my tenons on the Jeer Bits, I wish I had taken pictures, they are the cleanest scale tenons I have cut in mahogany since I started this build. I reinforced all the joints with pins after the glue dried. 

Once I get a few more parts made I will get some finish on everything.

Hopefully this weekend I can make a cutter for the carriage trucks, I want to make them with flat stock instead of dowel rod. Mostly because I have plenty of flat stock and no dowel rod.

post-326-0-49262500-1399516318_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-06170500-1399516320_thumb.jpg

Sam:

The bitts look very good. I especially like that you have fastened the bitts together and the knees as well. That should be a very sturdy structure.

One thought about the knees. I wonder if there upper curve should be lower than it is. It is a minor thing, but I think it might be worth it to consider.

Russ

Russ,

Thank you. I was somewhat concerned about things coming undone when I rigged. I know I am on the right track now.

As far as the knees, I wondered the same thing. The parts came pre cut and more or less match the plans. The only thing I have to compare to is Fully Framed and those dimensions are completely different.  

So more like the red line? I can drop about an eighth of an inch before I hit my tenon, for that matter I can remake the entire assembly, it wasn't hard to make. Feel free to modify the photo if its easier to explain.

post-326-0-91832800-1399519850_thumb.jpg

Sam

Edited by src

Sam:

More like this. This is a bit rough, but you can add a bit of meat to the bottom end of the leg, but only a bit.

Russ

post-164-0-84411500-1399521139.jpg

Edited by russ

Hi Sam,

I just read through your entire build log. I've got to say that your joinery skills give me a level of proficiency to strive for. Beautiful work.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Sam,

That's the funny thing with wood.....

You can shape it to every thing what you want.

I have to follow Russ with this.......

Get your tools and shape the wood  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Thanks for the likes and encouragement.

Wow Steve thank you!!

Sjors, yea wood is great stuff. I have an ongoing debate with one of the metal workers where I work, I say wood is a superior product. He says metal is cause modern ships are built from steel, aluminum, etc. but I can theoretically at least walk into to wilds a build a shelter with nothing more than a rock and some tree branches.

Anyway, I think I have come to a decision on my trucks, tomorrow I will reshape my knees and start on the trucks.

This weekend being Mother's Day here in the States I won't get a lot done but some progress should be made.

Sam

Sam,

Constructo complained about my frequent request for missing parts. They say I should ask for all missing items at one time so they came post it just once. So, I asked them for an inventory sheet so I can count everything they have given me. There was NO inventory sheet in the kit. I just counted the main deck cannons and they're all there. But all the small rigging stuff is anybody's guess. I can't believe they only gave me enough stuff to build 64 lids when I need 104.

If you've got any room left in the back row, I think I'll sit in to watch this lady take shape.  Your planking and joinery look just terrific.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Been a very slow week build wise. I came home on Monday to discover the cat had knocked one of the Admirals favorite decorative teacups off the bookshelf trying to get to a potted flower plant on the top shelf, she has now knocked it off twice this week and I am in the process of fixing it for the second time - what little build time I have in the evenings has been spent fixing it. The second time she converted it to numerous dissimilar fragments. 

Was using my break time at work to make a couple of cutters for my trucks and managed to break my last bottoming 4-40 tap, inside the hole for the set screw. Made another one and broke the drill bit - inside the hole......aaarrgh!!! I didnt realize "Break time" had numerous definitions. I have another 4-40 tap set do in on Tuesday, hopefully by next Saturday I can start cutting wheels.

In spite of all that I have managed to get some forward progress today. I recut the jeer bit knees to approximate what Russ drew, I may have taken a little too much at the bottom. They look ok. we'll see how they look when I get some stain on 'em.

post-326-0-91019000-1400365010_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-86550500-1400365012_thumb.jpg

I spent most of today fabricating the Main Bits. The instructions dont give a name, I am just assuming this is the correct term. These miniature dados and mortises are both enjoyable and challenging for me. I am pleased with the results.

post-326-0-80961100-1400365018_thumb.jpg

While I was waiting for the glue to dry on the Main Bits I thought I would start in on the ladders. After looking at the kit parts I realized I will have to make my own as Constructo seems to have sent me mis-matched parts. I can totally except simplified parts and choosing to make my own. Even the door and side badges dont bother me, its my choice to build my own. BUT:

post-326-0-44037000-1400365016_thumb.jpg

Really Constructo????

Sam

Very good work. The extra glue surface you get with the joinery will add strength to the piece.

Russ