Enterprise by src - Constructo - 1:51 - or Lessons in Adapt Improvise and Overcome

Hmmm, take care of yourself Sam!!! I remember myself funding the Dutch government ,,, but it deteriorates your health ... tremendously. Back to basics: The Enterprise. Looking good mate. I like your attitude towards pieces which do not meet your standards, even if it means a 're-do'. Hope to give you some more support! Missed your presence atn MSW!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

It's nice to see you back in the fray.  Funny, you mentioned my favorite movie ---- 'Twice is Not Enough' !

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Siggi,

I have had that photo for a while, I down loaded it I believe, from this site: http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/consitutiongundeck.htm. They have completly revamped their site and its not there now. However, it looks like there is now a vast compilation on the Constitutions history, now I am gonna have to spend a day there reading. Thanks!! :P I have also seen it here in the forums. Daffi had a post in either his Victory build log or in the gun and decking forums. I can't seem to find it now. Ill keep looking

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Sam,

thank you for your efforts. I tried it yesterday, but it did't work so as in the picture. So I build a hybrid of my first version and that seen in the picture. You may see it here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8505-hms-dragon-build-by-siggi-scale-148-english-74-gunner-1760/page-10

Regards,

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

Recent build: HMS Tiger (1747)

Captains Barge ca. 1760, scratch build
HMS Dragon 74 gunner 1760, scratch build

Siggi,

Nice work over there!! Another great build I have been missing.

Auggie, I think one of the requirements for this hobby is believing that twice is never enough.

Steve, the center window below is kind of what I was shooting for, the window on the left is the same as the one above. I can't see the framework of the window. Then of course is the bubble in the center window. Its barley BARELY visible from "normal" viewing distance as is the texture that is in the window. I filled that one oa bit too much, I think I can live with it as again its barely noticeable. 

Sam

post-326-0-80623000-1428370443_thumb.jpg

Edit - Ha!! Barley visible!!!! I am a gooder speller! Souper edgamacated!

Edited by src

Roather noice! The laft froam 's-vizzibel 2 mi ...

I prefer the frame in between the left and the centre one ... Left is rather thinnish and the centre one is a bit heavy ...

Auggie, I think one of the requirements for this hobby is believing that twice is never enough.

Believing ...??? KNOWING ... a kind of inbred certainty ...

Its barley BARELY

Deep down inside you have to admit it ... you love beer ... ;)

Carl

J thank you!! And thanks everybody for the likes and stopping in.

Carl, so now your saying we ship modelers are inbred?!?!?!? Sir, I resemble that comment ;)  Yea, the one on the left needs help, its going on the scrap bin and the one between, I don't know how I will ever duplicate that....

It looks like I only will be rebuilding 2 of the 6. The others will be ok, they don't pass the macro test but look just fine to me when viewed from a normal distance. Without my glasses or WITH a big glass of malted barley they look AWSOME!!!! hahaha!

Sam

I've heard the term "beer goggles," but I've never heard it applied to ship building...

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Just stopping in :)

I would say that with my glasses on or after a glass or what of whisky they would pass ANY macro view ... any whatsoever ... :)  I'm so glad you resemble the comment ... I was afraid I would be the only sicko ;)

I have to remark on your faillure to rebuild all six ... a bit of a let down, knowing your perse-mewhatchamecallit. No redo :o I'll just need to live with the disapointment :huh:  ;) Looking forward to see the result, though, can barely wait ... :D

Carl

• 3 weeks later...

Wooo!!! Hoooo!!!!!

After MONTHS of this, that and the other thing she looks different! I rebuilt some window frames this week and installed them then glued up the assemblies into some quarter badge/galleries. Last night I took the plunge and hacked open the hull to expose the LEDs that were buried so long ago when I planked over them. I set the galleries in place and carefully marked them out on the hull and started cutting. And cutting. And CUTTING. Nervous the whole time I would slip and gouge the hull. I did slip once, its a minor scratch and should rub out with a bit of dark oil.

post-326-0-10213900-1429922935_thumb.jpg

When I finally removed the planking I discovered my LED bar was just a bit too low. AS Agent 86 would say "Missed it by THAT much!!"  :rolleyes:

post-326-0-68171000-1429922891_thumb.jpg

When I laid out the replacement windows I scaled up a bit and moved everything up to the bottom of the wale forgetting where I had placed the lights. Oh well there should be enough light to light up the windows, I hope. I won't be too upset since the odds are I will only light them once or twice until the novelty wears off.

Some careful scraping and gluing and something new on the hull.

post-326-0-68827900-1429923505_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-35986300-1429923535_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-82644300-1429923559_thumb.jpg

On Tuesday I went in to a Radio Shack near work to pick up the parts I needed to build the DC version of the PWM Flicker circuit here:   

http://www.radiolocman.com/shem/shem-cache.html?di=14767

Turns out this store is closing and everything is 40-60% off. Oh NO!!!!!! :o $$$$$$$

They had this little gadget on sale for $35 down from $75.

post-326-0-74880600-1429923580_thumb.jpg

Its an Ardiuno Uno kit. It even came with a bunch of resistors, LED breadboard precut and stripped jumpers, etc. All I have to do is download programs and install to get candle flicker for my LED. I can even add trim pots in to either globally or individually control brightness. Just have to learn a bit of programming. Or ask the programmer at work....... :D

Anyway now its back to rigging gun carriages, I am really glad there is only 14. right at the moment I can imagine doing one of those 50 or 75 gun ships. Yikes! :huh:

If all goes well I might even have some canons installed by this time next week. We shall see.

Sam

Edited by src

Sorry, Sam.  I can't take my eyes off of photo #1.  Has me smiling ear to ear.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Wow, Sam, those quarter badges are works of art. Beautiful job.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Augie, Steve and Steve, thanks!! Its was really nice to actually put something on. Granted I have canons, bits, coamings and such that are all just waiting until the canons are in, but looking at the hull it was feeling like she was abandoned.

Based on photos its been roughly 16 months. But who's counting????

Sam

Edited by src

Sweet, Sam.  I can't wait to see the LED's lit up.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sorry, Sam.  I can't take my eyes off of photo #1.  

Its a pretty cluttered desk isn't it?  :P

Mark, I hope to get the basic programming done this week. Unfortunatly I fried the LED behind the door, forgot there wasn't a resistor tied in yet. I tried to cram 9 units of Magic Light into a 3 unit containment vessel and killed the LED genie. At least all the Magic Smoke stayed in the wires.

Carl, thank you, you almost got your wish for me to rebuild them when I saw how the lights and windows were lining up.

Sam

Edited by src

HI Sam Coming along, and look great, Love seeing the detail and work you put in to the ship.

But......

The Curise ship "Britannia"  Only took less than 2 years to construct... A great looking ship, I have driven past it.

Wiki

Just Saying .... Keep up the good work...( so glad im on the other side of the pond..

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

Thanks all for the comments and likes, always appreciated.

So I tore the door off to get to the burned out LED. I did entirely too good a job anchoring that one. Really had a hard time getting to it, damaged some of my bulkhead planking in the process but I got it out. Cut the dead one out and then looked at how little wire I had to work with. Some how I had to get a 500 + degree soldering tip about a half inch away from my delicate and irreplaceable planking with out scorching it. I used some aluminum foil as a heat shield, figured that would save me from all but the worst disasters. (Living 50-ish miles from the San Andreas Fault now would be a perfect time for the Big One!)

I slipped some heat shrink tube over the wires, did my best to crimp the leads and wires together and soldered away.

I have found when soldering small connections like this I get better results if I use a technique from soldering the coming on stained glass windows. I use a separate flux and solder rather than rosin core solder. A bit O flux on my joint and then melt some solder on the tip of the iron, touch the iron to the joint and if your tip is set to the right temp the solder just flows off. Then I just had to pull the heat shrink tube over the bare wires and shrink it. But with what??? My heat gun is just a bit too much and I wasn't going to use a lighter. In addition to nose hair wood is also flammable I am told. I kept the foil in place and used my soldering torch on the lowest setting I could get it to run at then held it as far away as I could and still activate the heat shrink. 

DONE!

Obligatory pictures (gotta keep You Know Who happy....) Yes the door is crooked, I noticed when I loaded the pictures on the computer. Its been reset as well as I can get it. Something is off, I am not sure if the door is out of whack or if one of my decks  or more likely its the bulkhead planking is off plumb.

post-326-0-96662200-1430280078_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-41720400-1430280106_thumb.jpg 

post-326-0-69733100-1430280126_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-44660900-1430280145_thumb.jpg

post-326-0-29598600-1430280167_thumb.jpg

Been in dentistry ...? Well done Sam, great demolition and repair job. You said it was for a LED, which will be used probably once or twice ... until the novelty weares off ... Big risk, but well executed mate. I wouldn't have dared for certain!!!

Carl

Dentistry ???  I'd liken it more to micro neurosurgery !!!  You're a brave man.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976