How to prepare rigging rope?

ChrisLinden

Hi

I am soon starting the rigging of my ship. Someone told me I need to prepare my rope by making it wet and leaving it hanging weighted for a week or two to remove the stretch. Is this common practice? ive not come across similar advise before. It was as he said to avoid the rigging to loose tension over the years and going saggy.

Advise is welcome !

Finished: Pinta, Amati

Current Build:  Friesland Mamoli 1:75

I think it depends on where you got your rope. Some rope, that Chuck's (Syren Ship Model Co) do not require stretching. Other rope does need it. If you are unsure, you can test a section of it. The main thing is you want the rope to be set so it does not stretch when rigged. 

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Are you using the kit-supplied stuff, or are you making your own?

Your own willl stretch, the kit-supplied stuff will not (or far less)

I did not strtch mine, and it is still resonanbly tensioned.

On the other hand, there is always some stretch. So I did not fix my shrouds directly, i set them up, and did increase the tension after a couple of days.

Only my stays (whcih I made myself) had a tendency to lose tension over a period of weeks.

Jan

Hi Jan

I have the rope from the Mamoli kit.

Its un labeled so I can only guess the quality.

I also purchased some Mantua rope.

If there are better materials you can recommend let me know where to buy it. I will not make my own rope.

Thanks!

Finished: Pinta, Amati

Current Build:  Friesland Mamoli 1:75

In the past, I used kit supplied and after-market Amati line for mine.  I always "painted" the rigging with a 50-50 mix of white glue and water.. After it dried a few days, I would re-tension it.  The nice thing about the mixture is that it also allows me to set some nice sag in the lines where needed.  What while also help with sag, etc. is to keep the model in a case in (if possible) a reasonably controlled environment as far as temperature range and humidity.

I'm going to start making my own which will be a new learning curve and experience....  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If there are better materials you can recommend let me know where to buy it. I will not make my own rope.

Thanks!

I highly recommend Chuck's rope (Syren Ship Model Company - http://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/miniature-rope.php)

It's really great to work with, and I have no interest in making my own.

Rope stretches when tension is applied. The rate of stretch slows over time but it will continue to stretch until it fails. Not much tension put into a model while being rigged so any stretch caused by rigging may remain undetectable for years, if the building environment remains constant over the model's lifetime. Wetting and hanging with a small weight won't hurt a natural fiber rope, nor will hanging under tension, harm a synthetic or composition rope. Some rope may not display stretch quickly, it was mentioned a water-glue mix being applied to the rigged composition line with good results.

Pre-stretching will do no harm unless overdone, might be good insurance.

jud

I know there has been debate on beeswax back and forth but I ended up using a combination of beeswax and turpentine on my rigging. It soaked into the rigging well and left a matrix of wax throughout the thread structure once the turpentine evaporated. This left the thread slightly stiff but pliable. This also worked on soft materials such as the cloth I rolled for the hammocks.

Bill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

• 2 weeks later...

I know there has been debate on beeswax back and forth but I ended up using a combination of beeswax and turpentine on my rigging. It soaked into the rigging well and left a matrix of wax throughout the thread structure once the turpentine evaporated. This left the thread slightly stiff but pliable. This also worked on soft materials such as the cloth I rolled for the hammocks.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I'm going to start rigging my schooner in the next week or so. I too, was planning on using the beeswax and turpentine mixture on BlueJacket rope. My question is; Will using the mixture affect my using either diluted PVA or CA to fix the rigging where necessary?

Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

Best,

John

PS Do you think I will need to stretch the rope after I apply the beeswax mixture? Thank. J.

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Hi,

Sorry to not get back to you sooner. I am actually on a ship south of Tahiti and headed for Auckland at the moment. I have not found the beeswax and turpentine mixture to keep glue from holding the knots. The thread is still porous so there is still teeth for the glue to hold. I do use CA to lock knots. I use a needle to apply a very small amount to it. Perhaps it will fail after 20 years or so.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

The hanging a weight to line that you make is to not stretch it but cause the fibers to set into each other.

David B