Royal William by marktiedens - FINISHED - Euromodel - scale 1:72

Mark,

Gorgeous detail work - I also agree with Pete (:-)

Are you using Chuck's ropes?

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks,Michael - yes,I am using Chuck`s rope for all but the smallest lines. I am using sewing thread for those. Nothing really wrong with the kit rope - just too fuzzy like all kit rope. All the kit rope is light tan & I was having trouble darkening it consistently & once I did,it got too stiff to work with. I already had most of what I needed anyway.

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

really nice work Mark.....belaying and seizings look very good!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I decided to fix an error - the cleats on the fore & main masts for the preventer stays should have been just one on the forward surface of the mast instead of two on the sides,so I removed the ones on the sides & added the ones on the forward sides of the masts.

001.JPG.f772c424ce3b1a9196fb59401f460c9f.JPG

003.JPG.357c2d16b918c7863145ee843ee8bd3c.JPG

Mark

Mark,

You HAVE been busy. The build is 'like whow' and now a mass of intricacies that we all dream of in a ship. Well done. I like your sprit topmast backstay rigging (with the ten blocks) where it was so important to have less tension in that than the other stays, backstays and shrouds (to have the same tension is likely to cause a deflection in the fore topmast stay). Must have been a little tricky.

Pete

Edited by piratepete007
additional comment on one of Mark's photos

For those members intrigued by Mark's last comment regarding deflection of the foremast stay, they might be interested to know that through a mutual cooperation between Mark, Vince, Ken and myself, I am writing a collection of detailed files describing how the Royal William could be built [the files are freely available to anybody to download]. I have the greatest respect for these members who are currently showing a wealth of different skills in building the same ship and who allow me to collate what they are posting.

The following two images hopefully illustrate the problem in creating a suitable tension in the sprit topmast backstay that does not interfere too much with the alignment of the fore topmast stay.

Pete

Screenshot (13).png

Screenshot (14).png

Edited by piratepete007
correcting poor grammar

To those who may wish to look at a different slant to a Royal William build, have a look at this link which I received from Oliver Lippold. It is not in English but the photos are self explanatory. The build log starts by showing a brilliant carving of the head ornamentation by a friend of his and it is covered in 24 carat gold. Just a fantastic piece of craftsmanship.

http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=63518&pageNo=1

Pete

Beautiful work Mark.  Your log, along with the other RW logs and Pete's very helpful notes, are wonderful marketing for what a great kit (and subject) this is.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Mark,  Yours is such an impressive build,  I can only concur with what other members have said. It has inspired me throughout my build and whilst I can't match the quality and attention to detail of yours it gives me a standard to try and get close to. Brilliant!

Ken

the standing rigging looks awesome Mark!  :)   superior job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Update - I thought it would be a good time to take a break from rigging & work on the ship`s boat. The kit supplied boat is molde from resin & with some work it can be made to look presentable. The first picture shows the boat as supplied - the casting is very thick,so the first thing I did was thin it down with my dremel & sanding drum. Then I added a little sheer to it. The frames were added - only down to the bottom of the casting. Floor boards were then added - they hide the fact that the frames don`t go all the way down to the keel.A cap rail was the made along with a rubbing strake. The inside was painted yellow ochre along with the space between the cap rail & rubbing strake. The bottom was painted with a Floquil color called aged white.The rudder was then made with the hinges simulated by installing a couple of pins,then some black card stock was cut & glued on next to the pins & the pins were then glued to the added strip on the transom.  Finally, all the thwarts,foot boards.& thole pins were added. I did not make the masts or oars - didn`t want to hide all the work I did by filling up the inside of the boat with them. If anyone asks,they are stowed below decks;).

004.JPG.8067cd5cd62ce8c66cadb22299a186bf.JPG

003.JPG.67df98fb3a30136e6d19cf1309f41cbc.JPG59e0088a4fc48_004(2).JPG.e0f9cadf0c58946b7e31e7afbb45764a.JPG

005.JPG.655593648a959433f7d1806101acffb8.JPG

001.JPG.1d1712461763fb7541e8332fffbc34d2.JPG

008.JPG.c595690026f076050af460b05d3dff43.JPG

011.JPG.fae14aca5071a19ada6b8d4318275b78.JPG

Mark

Mark,

A dramatic change from the supplied plastic resin hull supplied - as you say, it can be worked fairly easily and allows for much individuality in the process. Well done and attention to detail such as the risers, bottom boards, frames, foot stretchers and colour (sorry, 'color' over your way) all are a stand-out. It is an interesting point that the last re-fit of the Royal William occurred in the early part of the 18C and it was also during this time that the Admiralty insisted upon carvel construction instead of clinker. So it seems to me that either style is more than acceptable for this build.

Pete

Mark, your quote "with some work it can be made to look presentable." Really? - You turned a piece of plastic into a thing of beauty - Brilliant

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thanks Pete & Michael:D. I had thought of sanding down the outside  smooth,but after thinning down the inside,I was afraid it would be too thin to do that. The resin is much easier to work on  than plastic - it doesn`t melt when you grind on it. Sorry about the bad photos - I had to take about 20 pictures to get a few decent ones. Hard to get a good, sharp focus with my present camera.

Mark

Mark,

I am receiving a new boat from Euromodel in the next few days and just as an experiment, I will carefully trim down the outside to resemble a carvel build. Will let you know how it goes. By the way, your concept of partial frames looks like a much easier way to go and since it is not a scratch build, why not ?

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

nice jog on the ship's boat Mark......do you have more to do?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Popeye - I am currently attaching all the footropes & blocks to the yards. The blocks are easy - the footropes are a pain. May have some pics in a couple of days. Still looking for some small wood parrel beads - I have some metal ones,but they look like,well,metal:(.

Mark

Update - the footropes are finally done. I started by clamping a balsa board to my table & made two lines representing the length of the stirrups. The yard was then pinned down on the upper line. Then I bent a piece of 1mm brass wire into a u shape & pushed it into the board along the lower line. The stirrup ropes were tied around the yard & cut off long enough to wrap around the wire & with a small clamp holding a little tension on it,a seizing was made to make a small eye. Some diluted white glue  was applied to stiffen the ropes so they would hang straight. Lastly,the footropes were then ran through the eyes & tied off on the ends.

001.JPG.bad59e418558cf1506b1992ec57be835.JPG

59f2a51eaff18_001(2).JPG.dbcab1aee657a47a299c73b3092bc4be.JPG

002.JPG.8ebf974948e34598dbc7225d438d918e.JPG

Mark