Endeavour 1934 by Julie Mo - Amati - Scale 1:35 - America's Cup UK J-Class Challenger

Your other option is like Dee Dee did, re-plank the transom horizontally so the grain of the wood is not so confusing.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks, DeeDee.  I think it will be okay.

Bob, you know that even though what you say is true, we will always see it.  Maybe a bit o' rum will make everything good again. ;)

That is why so many modelers I know tend to bend their elbow a lot. :P

Occupational hazard?

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Looks like you have it. When you flip the boat right side up does the deck go to the top edge of the transom? A rail?

All of the planks extend above the rail right now, Mike.  When I'm done I will cut them down to where they need to be.  I still don't have the deck plywood attached, even though the instructions say to do that. 

I think the last picture is eye candy! Seriously nice planking.

Why thank you, Buck!  :)

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

I feel like my hands are tied behind my back.  Everything seems so laborious.  Maybe I found a way to slow time. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I did get a few more planks glued down...

Endv_052.jpg

Depending how the light casts, the transom can appear well defined.

Endv_053.jpg

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

Looks good Julie. Best, John

Member:

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

It's funny how shapes and angles can distort things. Looking at the second pic, I was trying to think of a way to tell you the transom was off kilter :o . Then I looked at the first pic again ;) .

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Looking good Julie. What is in your mind for the small section of hull at the top rear of the rudder?

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Unfortunately, the transom will require me to resist the temptation to scrutinize.  Acceptance will have to suffice.  There are times I work on the model when I should be getting ready to go to bed.   

Keith, what I have planned for that little section is to glue on a piece of mahogany and shape it to blend.  When I was planking the other side, the planking extended over that area.  This would have allowed me the opportunity to put in a neat filler across the gap.  But one day the rasp in my hand got carried away, leaving me with a different problem.  :o

Note to self: Stop experimenting on the model!

I'm hoping the fix will work...

Julie

Julie

Thats the trouble with rasps, they sometimes develop a mind of their own. You need to reprimand it. The trouble is its probably male and hence prone to flights of fancy. I think cutting back the offending area to get a surface for gluing and then adding a fillet is probably the way to go.

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

And I'm thinking I will have to modify the rudder a bit to make a smooth transition...

I've also put the offending rasp in timeout.  The other rasps have been warned.

Julie

Re: Your concern regarding the transom

Why not paint it, say a semi gloss dark blue (just the transom, not the whole boat!). This would provide a nice contrast with your diagonally planked wooden hull and would provide a great background for lettering. Gold lettering would look good and would be appropriate. Fill it first with a filler that hardens, even Bondo. This will give you another chance to get some sharp well defined edges between transom and hull.

Just an idea.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I did think about painting and dark blue would be a great choice but I am going to be putting a decal with the name and hailing port on it.  My experience with decals tells me they don't do well against dark backgrounds, even if the text is light in color. 

Julie

Woodland Scenics makes great dry transfer letters. I don't recall off the top of my head, but one sheet has sizes from tiny to 5/16s" and come in a number styles and colors including white and gold. They're mostly designed for the model railroad crowd but they are easy to layout and apply. If you make a mistake you can lift a letter off with a piece of tape. Best of all they are designed to be covered with dull/gloss coat.

Best, John

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's been a month since I last worked on the model.  Time flies when you're busy.

I gave myself a break today from the kitchen project... well... kind of.  I made a couple of material trips to pick up much needed items.  I also bought some landscape lighting that I temped in.  The void Christmas lights created had to be filled.

Anyway, by the end of the day I got the bug to lay some planks.  I have to admit for as much as I enjoy working with hot hide glue, I have let the fact it has to be heated deter me from the occasional quick trip to the work table to lay a plank or two.  For some reason that mental block wasn't there tonight.

But what was unusual was that feeling I previously had of pure enjoyment working on the model has diminished.  I found myself asking why I was even doing this, with all I have on my plate now.  My neighbor across the street recently bought a Hinkley 36 and he asked me today if I would be willing to make some mahogany built-ins for his fenders.  I was excited about the prospect of getting back to woodworking!  But I am just at that point with the kitchen where I can see light at the end of the tunnel.  We have lived in a construction site for over a year now and I'd love to live a more normal life, at least for a while.  There's always a new project on the horizon.

So here I am laying some planks on the model and wondering why I am even doing this.  Has anyone else felt this way?  I really want to see the finished results but I am worried all the other things going on will cause dust to build on what was once a passion.

Julie

So here I am laying some planks on the model and wondering why I am even doing this.  Has anyone else felt this way?  I really want to see the finished results but I am worried all the other things going on will cause dust to build on what was once a passion.

Yes. 

My build has been very slow the last few months. Some of that is procrastination, the rigging on the plans I have is much simplified and I want to get it more accurate but I've a lot to learn and absorb first. Other things, work, 2 kids, etc. get in the way (but not in a bad way).

But the nice thing is that's a hobby. Unlike having a kitchen redone, one can take a break for a day, a month, a year. I don't have a deadline and it's small enough that I can just to put a cover over it to keep the dust off. 

The process has not completely stopped though. I can still find time to be on this site, do a little bit of model work for 15 minutes some evenings. I also filled my need for some larger woodwork over the holidays by building a new mini-work bench for the model.

And if you find that you want to give up completely - well that's not such a terrible thing to do (although I really hope you don't - your Endeavour looks too nice for that).

All the best (especially with the house).

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Hi Julie,

I call it Model Ship "Paralysis."

Don't worry, it will pass.... Had the same with Pen Duick in the past couple of weeks, Dredging myself out of t, then, my Glasses Frame broke.... (Lucky I have a spare pair that I can see, sort of. :))

Ditto Richard, life does get in the way. (And, my sentiments also, your Endeavour looks far to good, pause, but for Gods sake, don't stop now!! :))

So much of a beautiful work of Art to let it go....

(Re:-Pen Duick "Struggles.)

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Hello Julie,

I've got the modelbuilder's blues ... My Dolphyn is on hold for a number of reasons, one of witch is the instructions are very poor English and scant, or Eyetalian, which I cannot read, and google translate makes a dung heap of the translation. The other build fell, and I need to do some repairs. I tried a few times but each time they didn't stick. Depressing ... Furthermore, life has a tendency to pop up when you don't need it to. Fortunately no children, so no excuse there.

However, I do not want to quit, so I try to motivate me building other things, like a largely PE based Fokker dr1, home improvement which has been delayed to often, and whatever else I can find. I know I'll come back to those two models. After all, it took me merely 3 years to finish an ini mini tiny scratch build I started as an aside ...

Don't quit on your Endeavour, put it on hold but don't loose it out of sight, you've done a very good job on her! Besides, what's MSW without you!

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

We all go through it from time to time, it's kind of like writer's block.  To get through writer's block they say to wright anything, just nonsense.  and the act of writing will break the block.  I find for model block If I go to the workbench and do anything, move things around, straighten out the tools or supplies, or like you add a plank or two, It helps and soon I'm back up to speed.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hello Julie

My record break from working on a model is 18 years. It collected dust in a spare room and every time I came across it It reprimanded me for my neglect. The symptoms of my dereliction grew slowly. A day off here and there became the odd week and then month. House maintenance, career, children all consumed my time and my ship became unloved. Occasionally I would blow the dust away and marvel at some item of detail, wondering how I had managed to create it and fearful that my skill would no longer suffice. In the end It became the itch than needed scratching and I resolved to finish it. !8 months later and it was done and everyone that saw it voiced their admiration. While pleased by the comments in the end they didn't really matter, as I had done it for my own pleasure and satisfaction. 

So I come to the point of my ramblings................................ do things you like doing the most and if they change go with the flow. What goes round comes around and you generally get a second chance.

Edited by KeithAug

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

I started my whaleboat in 1986! Life has so many turns. Wherever your passion takes you, go for it full blast and you will always have the peace of knowing you did your best. By the way, your build is awesome!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Thanks for the supportive words, guys.  It's nice to know I'm not alone. 

Yesterday morning I walked into the workshop to look at the model and then it occurred to me the workshop is a pig pen!  It's become a dumping ground for all the stuff we had to get out of the way for the kitchen remodel.  I've become so used to it I didn't realize how much stuff was blocking my path to the workbench.  I know once I get it straightened out again I'll be drawn back to the model, time permitting of course. 

I laid five rows of planks the other night.  So far I haven't run into any serious side bending of the planks.  On the starboard side I went from bow to stern.  On the port side I'm running from stern to bow and it seems to be going better. 

I had planned on laying some more planks yesterday but I was called to action due to a leak that developed at the kitchen sink.  Someone who had no sense of straight and level plumbed the drain so poorly that it put stress on the pipe and fittings until it finally failed.  I had to run to the store to buy materials, tear the whole thing out and plumb it back in properly.  I hadn't planned on fixing that until we were ready to replace the sink and cabinet, but that would have been a month away or more.

Today is a day of rest.  My muscles ache from the last few days.  I guess I should be grateful.  My union from which I am retired called twice in the last couple of days to inform me two members (both right around my age) have passed.  Enjoy every minute of life you have been given for one day there will be no more.    

Julie

I know what you are going through as I started The Hannah as a ship in a bottle in 2000 and just finished her in 2016. Would work on her until I ran into a problem and would put it on the shelf. A few months (year) I would start again only to have another problem. The last time I pulled it off the shelf low and behold all the sails had holes in them, I had to replace all the sails. It finally made it into the bottle and now sits on my finished shelf. So hang in there and you will get back the urge.

Al

Al

Current Build

The President by Sergal

Completed Build

Cutty Sark 1:75

SIB Hannah

Opium Smuggler

SIB Pride of Baltimore II

On Deck

Pride of Baltimore II

• 3 months later...

My body told me the other day I need to do something less physical.  Then the light bulb popped in my head and I knew just what that was.

After I dusted off the hull of the model and heated up some hide glue, I began laying planks again.  I did about 6 rows when I realized the rest of the planks I had made were scrap.  Ripping them on a full size table saw with a thin crosscut blade created a lot of bad cuts.  But I needed to rip more pieces in order to finish the hull.  I tried the table saw again but after three pieces I was reminded how difficult it was to cut clean widths.  Time to come up with something else...

All I did was make some spacers to allow the veneer to fit under the straight edge and put short pieces of the correct width planks to space out the rule from the maple board.  With a sharp blade it took two passes to rip a plank, one to score the veneer and the second to finish the cut.  I found I had to lightly score the veneer in order to keep the blade from drifting off along with the grain.  It took me about two hours, on and off, to rip 130 planks, more than enough to finish the hull.

Plank_ripper.jpg

The planks aren't all a consistent width.  The blade did stray on some cuts and I'd have to joint the edge with a hand plane to bring it back.  But overall I'm fairly pleased.

No excuses now!  (I think I said that before :rolleyes:)

Julie

Thanks, HOF! 

Soon the microwaves from Planet Solar will be frying everything that exposes itself to its radiation and I think that little model will be looking pretty inviting again.

Julie

Hello Julie

Model boats have a way of nagging you to finish them.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures