San Martin by Slowhand - FINISHED - OcCre - Scale 1:90

Well here goes, my first build log. The San Martin was the flagship of the King Phillip II 's commander the Duke of Medina Sidonia and is  frequently mentioned in "The Defeat of the Spanish Armada" by Garrett Mattingly. It survived the battles and voyage and finally reached Santander after sailing around the north of Scotland and Ireland.

An earlier incomplete build log of this model , with several photographs of the parts in box is shown in

San Martin by Volkerbo - Occre - scale 1: 90  so I won't repeat.

This is my first Occre kit and so far compares favourably with Corel efforts quality wise. The frames and false keel went together easily with only a little easing  and first picture shows three of the decks planked, although only the main deck is glued in place which needed clamping it was straight whilst it lies curved.  The planks were lightly sanded and given one coat of Danish oil and tree nails added in pencil. For this build I intend to sand, coat with one coat of Danish oil and rub in beeswax at the end. Noted a few oddities in the instructions already, one of which suggests bulkheads planked vertically with mahogany. Never seen this before so will plank horizontally as in many build logs. Also suggested this planking is done before the decks are added which I think would have needed trimming the planked decks. So will fit the decks and then plank the bulk heads.

The only bashing I intend to do is to cut out more gun ports to replace the metal stick on castings. Will try the method used in Half Moon using stub cannons glued into a block fixed to the bulkheads.  Aim is for the cannon barrels to protrude from  dark shadowy gun ports. If I can't get the planking right around the ports or the effect doesn't look good can always debash the kit.

Now for the fun, I have  a decent camera but struggling to get a good lighting and spot in the house.

post-22296-0-34413300-1449854897_thumb.jpg

post-22296-0-35961800-1449855062_thumb.jpg

All comments welcome and I hope its of interest to the members, signing off for now.

Steve

Edited by Slowhand

Slowhand,

Current build - Polacca scratch build from Amati plan

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

Dragon keel boat - Billings

Interested to see how it goes. I am at the start of building the Occre Cazador. Your decks look good. That's the next step for me following their instructions. Do they always suggest planking the deck before hull? Is this unusual?

Darren

Current Builds:

Berlin Tram by OcCre

Lady Eleanor by Vanguard

Hi Etcher

All build logs of Occre models I've seen, do planking of decks before fitting. It worked okay for me. Not come across on it on Corel models I've done.

Steve

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to plank the bulkheads instead of staining them as the instructions said. Stained underside of decks. Glad I did it although waited for extra wood.

2nd photo taken before using Amati plank bender on next bulkhead, left hand end.to get it to fit. Dunno why photo came out upside down

Other bulkheads nearly ready to fit - must remember to shave frames before fitting.

Taking my time.

post-22296-0-54294500-1452121179_thumb.jpg

Edited by Slowhand

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 5 weeks later...

Been a while since my last post as I've had a few hiccups The last 1 cm of the false port bulwark came adrift just after I'd attached the starboard so I decided to redo end gluing of both as it would be a pain if they came apart later on. Decided to attach the two lower ply bulkheads first to give additional purchases for the upper two which had caused the problems. Later Join Together the upper two and quite pleased with results. Found the ply bits needed quite a bit of shaping to get them to fit. I like the Occre way of working doing the structural stuff and the fine decorative planking together rather than the structural stuff all together.

Now doing the 1st planking layer, one of my favourite tasks, both easy and satisfying to see the hull grow. Doing the upper sides first to give strength to the ply bits. Spot the song title in the post

post-22296-0-07526800-1454780113_thumb.jpg

post-22296-0-16112100-1454780134_thumb.jpg

Edited by Slowhand

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 1 month later...

A quick up date to my build log. Slight bashing going on to put cut out gun ports in the hull and add stub cannons into the ports, took the idea from the Corel Half Moon. Compared to some of the hulls built on here with bluff bows, this is easy.

. Original has metal gun doors to stick onto the hull. Think the stub cannons will be too large, Doh!post-22296-0-20204800-1457721604_thumb.jpeg

post-22296-0-61277100-1457721651_thumb.jpeg

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 4 months later...

One thing about this website is it really makes you raise your game. Finally finished the first layer of planking on the San Martin. 31 planks each side, reasonably happy with it, will need some sanding and filling. Despite  tapering the planks are still crowded up at the bows.

Advice requested? Should I go with the 0.6mm thick Sapelli second planking supplied or should I buy in some 1mm thick timber. My last 2 Corel models used the thicker timber and it should be more fore-giving if an extra expense.

Also do I follow the Occre instructions? Going to take my time and listen to advice as the Admiral and me are relocating to another port near by.

post-22296-0-27458300-1469901405_thumb.jpg

post-22296-0-23719500-1469901432_thumb.jpg

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

Very nice looking work so far and first planking looks good. I just ordered this kit from Cornwall and have the Domanoff upset set for it coming as well. I've done a couple of hulls with AL's thin outer planking ( Swift and Independence) and really like it. Easy to cut with scissors. The Occre at .6mm may be thicker than the AL strips though. I'll be following along !

Current builds:  Caldercraft Cruiser, Mantua Astrolabe

Almost Finished: Mamoli Hunter

Completed:  AL Swift, Constructo Albatros

Thanks for the kind words. The Domanoff parts look well worth having.

Edited by Slowhand

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone else do this? You look at your model and debate what you are going to do , yet all the time you know what you are going to do.

In my case I am going to replank the decks with maple 1 x 4mm . The existing ones are too wide and are irritating me. 5mm X 90 would equal nearly 0.5 m wide on the real ship. Colour of deck too yellow caused by using Danish oil on the wood.

Edited by Slowhand

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 2 months later...

Finished re-planking over the original Tanganyika planking using maple wood, 4mm by 1mm thick, Glad I took the time to do it. Prefer the lighter colour of maple and narrower strips. Mind not sure if in the Spanish Armada there was the daily ritual of scrubbing the decks down with salt-water which whitened the colour of the planking.

Still to decide on how to do trenailing, as don't want to spoil another deck!

Also got to decide on second hull planking. Do I use the thin 0.6mm Sapelli supplied or buy in some thicker timber?

post-22296-0-28194200-1478361456_thumb.jpg

post-22296-0-87998000-1478382016_thumb.jpg

Edited by Slowhand

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 1 month later...

Quick update on progress. Me and the Admiral moved dockyard and in the process lost my background paper for photographing. Decided to buy in some 1 x4 mm Mahogany for second planking as it would give me a chance to finish the wood off a  bit more than the 0.5 x 5mm Sapelli supplied with the kit.Just about finished above the wales on both sides.

Bit disappointed in quality of wood as the grain is quite pronounced. I wanted to post a link to the Montanes by Montanes build log as the wood quality there is superb, but must figure out how to do it

Next for the tricky bit below the wales- updates soon.

post-22296-0-31726000-1482351649_thumb.jpg

post-22296-0-35605400-1482351676_thumb.jpg

post-22296-0-87028800-1482351692_thumb.jpg

Edited by Slowhand

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 4 weeks later...

Just about finished 2nd planking layer waiting for a bit more wood supply from the South West. Replaced the 0.5 x 5mm Sapelli supplied with kit with 1 x 4mm Mahogany. Reckon the thin layer would have taken a bashing in the couple of years I expect to need to do the rest of the build and used the guide provided on NRG by Dirk de Bakker and Greg Brooker, split the hull into bands to help tapering, drop planks at the bow to stop crowding only using new blades to cut the timber. Glad I didn't follow the instructions which came with the kit, where you sweep the wood up to the wales.

post-22296-0-19611200-1484325110_thumb.jpg

post-22296-0-55702100-1484325140_thumb.jpg

post-22296-0-39790400-1484325180_thumb.jpg

post-22296-0-05454400-1484424683_thumb.jpg

Edited by Slowhand

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 3 weeks later...

That's it finished the second layer of planking. Used drop planks on the planking nearest the keel as the space for the remaining strips was a bit out. Quite happy with overal result. who looks at ships bottoms anyway?

post-22296-0-25700500-1485886156_thumb.jpg

post-22296-0-04584900-1485886195_thumb.jpg

post-22296-0-30857700-1485886221_thumb.jpg

Edited by Slowhand

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 1 month later...

Got the strakes on without too much white glue smearing the planking. Had to stain them as supplied in greyish walnut and hull planks were mahogany didn't look right. Beginning to realise why people scratch build. Having said that walnut is a pig to work with so hard. Flexible beech for the bulwark tops instead of supplied walnut, bends really easily. Discovered another SM build log on a Russian forum,

IMG_1550.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1589.JPG

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 2 months later...

First coat of thinned down polyurethane satin varnish on the hull. Not sure about second coat in case it becomes gloss. Any advice welcome. Took the easy option and used the bronze Occre fittings for the gun ports instead of the making wooden ones.

IMG_1859.JPG

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 3 weeks later...

After a large glass of wine tried some tree nailing lightly drilling holes into planks and marking with a pencil an absolute disaster. Ripped existing planking on part of the quarter deck using flexicut detail knife and relaying planks, including a couple of others on port side. Phew, got away with it. Ship's cat now hides the only remaining evidence of trenailing attempts. A rather large cat about the height of a polar bear according to the scaling of this kit. Assembled ladders, but not glued in position. I mean they're identical to those on the Corel Half Moon which is 1/50 scale. This build is 1/90 scale so they can't both be correct. Getting a bit fed up with Occre so many parts are not right including the massive cannons for the main deck and all the metal parts. Bought some canons from my usual supplier, 30mm long wooden carriages.

IMG_1889.JPG

IMG_1907.JPG

IMG_1975.JPG

IMG_1996.JPG

Edited by Slowhand
Extra photo

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 4 months later...

Update on the deck fittings I have done and the windows added. Decided not to use Romanov upgrades as windows had not been cut out. Camera highlightened some of the bittens need more sanding to fit into the racks properly. Waiting from timber  from Cornwall Models to plank the rear balcony.

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

Edited by Slowhand
Typo

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 1 month later...

Waiting for timber to plank balcony so decided to work on ships boat. Replaced horrible lead one supplied with a kit. No instructions available, already had to repair two bulkheads with super glue. Will I have to taper the planks, wonder how many needed.A mouse sized hands would be great.

DBD861BE-3520-4729-BB5B-D36F3A5A3914.jpeg

Edited by Slowhand
Bronze to lead

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 3 weeks later...

The mice completed the ship’s boat over Xmas and I added the railings to the stern balcony. That’s the stern of our cat on the prowl for more Turkey and giblets.

E3FB65FD-EF79-4BD1-AD13-2479EEC1584E.jpeg

04EBA22F-AFFF-46B0-88DF-ABF6419EE696.jpeg

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 10 months later...

It’s been a long time since my last post, afraid became a bit apathetic about the model as it bears so little resemblance to what the original San Martin must have looked like. On another ship forum website found images of painted glass image of the SM and a lithograph of a major Spanish Galleon of similar period. Concentrated on my traditional wood carving with gouges. Anyway update of progress, shaped all the spars using 18v drill as a mini lathe. Used chuck to hold wood  and a piece of sandpaper to taper the spars as powered up the drill.  Attached chain plates to new boards and put in place ready for staining before gluing.

9E805C3A-B368-4245-B7D9-D2A25853845E.jpeg

03027A85-585D-4AB2-B057-1B1C429D8AF5.jpeg

98122F83-2E8E-49CA-B9A0-6D0CFE001B23.jpeg

46C4AAEC-9159-4B2A-99EE-B49724C9014F.jpeg

Edited by Slowhand
New photo with chain plates

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 1 month later...

Steve, this is a beautiful build! You are so close now. I have Dusek's 1:72 San Martin on my shelf although I don't know when I'm going to get going on it ... but your project gives me added motivation.

Ian

Hi,

.    lovely build with great detail. Boy-oh-boy that boats got some belly on it. Keep it going.

.       kier

Saving for: HMS Vanguard...Victory models.

finished: Bluenose11...Billing Boats... (sorry no log.

Thanks for the kind words guys, there are so many fantastic builds on this site it’s so easy to get lost in the weeds

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Think it passed Dockyard QC. Need to buy in some brown rope for the ratlines from Cornwall Models as the beige hemp supplied would look very odd IMO. Also some parrels needed as no where near enough in the kit. Best get them in before Brex**** could be a problem for the non scratch builders. PS why are those funny blocks used to hold the anchors called cat heads.

7172BA96-79C8-47F6-BA6D-9ABD3F67D402.jpeg

Edited by Slowhand
Typo

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

• 4 weeks later...

Oh I do hate doing ratlines, going to let the brass hinges etc naturally age. Ratlines as good as I can do as have already redone them once, just going to continue with spars and finish the build and make a decision on whether there good enough.

2D38A01D-7366-4B7A-B491-2F4B148E04F1.jpeg

4DEC8CC7-03BD-42CC-8AFC-35E8D84380A4.jpeg

5551860B-B67C-4DEC-AD86-253959FEEC3E.jpeg

CBA115EE-2841-4742-8333-FB964BA38B95.jpeg

06CD131A-7227-4780-BDA8-FBB9E2E2CCC2.jpeg

Edited by Slowhand
Typo

Slowhand,

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

You have a nice looking ship there. Love the Hull colour, the Mahogany was a good choice.

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

This is coming together well, Slowhand. I'm glad you didn't give up on it. Whatever historical accuracy issues there may be with the model as issued, you're putting together a very well worthwhile build.

Steven