HMS Bounty Jolly Boat by slagoon - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:25 - first build

When I heard about the tragedy of losing all the build logs I was immediately grateful that my photos are all stored on smugmug online photo hosting so at least I didn't lose those...I went to work immediately trying to re-create as much of my log as I could while it is still fairly fresh in my mind.  Hopefully this will serve to help some of the builders who are even newer than me. Also I will add some retrospective comments as I go since I do have a tiny bit more knowledge now. 

Thanks for everyone who gave me tips and hints along the way. That really helped me stay motivated to continue

Here is what the packaging looks like - this isn't my photo, just one off the Artesania Latina website. 

wts005-01-002_md%5B1%5D.jpg

Some things about the kit that I noticed right away was that the parts list called out a base and pedestals, however these were not included. Additionally I later realized that the dowels for the mast and oars were made of their white wood (ramen) versus the walnut they called out.  Since I knew going into it that I didn't want to paint the boat I ordered the walnut from Cornwall Model Boats. They really came through very quickly.

The first thing I did was to remove the false keel and each of the stations. I sanded them all down to remove the laser burn and then stained them.  I should have removed the stain from the areas that I was to glue, but I didn't remember that at the time. I assembled them all, and luckily the stain didn't interfere too much. Then I laid my first couple planks on. To lay my planks I first soaked my wood in warm water for about 30 minutes. Then I put them on the frame of the boat where they would be installed and anchored them down with whatever I could find, bag clips, clamps, rubber bands....you name it. After each strip was dry I would then use wood glue to put it in place.

DSC06640-M.jpg

DSC06639-M.jpg

DSC06641-M.jpg

The instructions showed that I was supposed to leave a gap between the first and second plank so I did that. I wish I had just followed the tutorials on MSW though because I think it would have looked better if I had adjusted the width of the planks in the middle of the boat instead.I made little tiny thin triangular planks to fill those areas in.

DSC06642-M.jpg

DSC06643-M.jpg

DSC06645-M.jpg

Eventually I finished planking and was left with  this:

DSC06755-M.jpg

DSC06757-M.jpg

DSC06756-M.jpg

DSC06759-M.jpg

Next I added in my floor.  Here comes the next lesson for you all - keep wood away from dogs.  I had a piece of my nicely cut flooring and left it toward the edge of my table and either I knocked it with my elbow or my dog grabbed it, either way within 5 minutes of me having placed it there it was on the floor and chewed in half. I had to re-create the floor piece out of two of the leftover scraps which you can probably pick out in the second photo.

DSC06761-M.jpg

DSC06760-M.jpg

Then I began sanding the hull to smooth it out. After 800 grit was finished it looked pretty darn good.

DSC06763-M.jpg

Next I added the seats (which turned out to be the incorrect wood and the mast holder.

DSC06762-M.jpg

Since I didn't realize the seats were messed up I went ahead and added the bulwarks.

DSC06770-M.jpg

I saw on someone else's build log (not for the jolly boat) that they used graphite for the decorative fasteners of the planks so I did that too, thought it would look neat.

I started by drilling the holes at about 0.5mm 

DSC06784-M.jpg

Then I added the graphite from mechanical pencils hole by hole.

DSC06783-M.jpg

DSC06785-M.jpg

Then I tried my hand at making rope.

DSC06767-M.jpg

Then dying it using coffee for about a half hour - the rope on the bottom is dyed - hopefully you can tell the difference.

DSC06769-M.jpg

I figured I'd use my new rope on my bucket. In order to prepare my bucket I made slices with my x-acto blade so the bucket looks like it is made of multiple pieces of wood. Then I took some wire and hammered it flat to use as the rings.

DSC06775-M.jpg

Then Voila! it is a bucket!

DSC06771-M.jpg

DSC06773-M.jpg

Next I decided to make the part that retains the bowsprit... I was really just looking for small things to do that day. If you are getting tired of doing anything on your boat it is totally ok to work ahead since the little things might just give you the break in the monotony that you need.

DSC06778-M.jpg

DSC06779-M.jpg

Then I made the boom mainsheet double block. The double blocks provided in this kit are very featureless so I really enhanced and shaped the dead eyes so they looked a little more detailed.

DSC06780-M.jpg

DSC06782-M.jpg

In the instructions they tell you to make the tiller out of a little metal rod, so instead I fashioned one out of some wood I had leftover.  At this same point I realized my seats were made from the wrong wood so I carefully removed them and re-cut and reinstalled the correct wood (you should be able to tell the width difference). I then put gloss varnish on the whole boat.

DSC06786-M.jpg

DSC06787-M.jpg

DSC06789-M.jpg

DSC06791-M.jpg

DSC06790-M.jpg

DSC06793-M.jpg

After a dud order from an online wood supplier I ordered some walnut from Cornwall Model Boats and they came in basically the amount of time it took to cross the ocean. They were great.  In the meantime I started my Christmas present of the Harriet Lane, a steam sloop.  When t he wood arrived I was filled with glee and  put my mast together.

DSC06950-M.jpg

DSC06951-M.jpg

DSC06953-M.jpg

And then I installed the Bowsprit

DSC06956-M.jpg

DSC06957-M.jpg

DSC06958-M.jpg

DSC06959-M.jpg

I added a couple blocks and my gun

DSC06961-M.jpg

DSC06962-M.jpg

I know my parrals are a bit big, I'll change them another time...but they are better than just rope.

DSC06963-M.jpg

DSC06964-M.jpg

My hatchet seemed to be plastic it was such a light pot metal but once I took some sand paper to it I was able to really shine up the blade. I added some matte black paint to the handle.

DSC06965-M.jpg

Then I began my rigging.

DSC06967-M.jpg

DSC06966-M.jpg

I then made some new little gadgets for the boat, I started with something that no boat is complete without….an anchor. I don't know if this boat would have had one, but I thought it needed one anyway.  I made it out of sculpy then I attached it to one of my homemade ropes.  I then coiled that homemade rope and put some wood glue on the bottom of the coil so it stays nice when I put it in the boat

DSC06969-M.jpg

DSC06968-M.jpg

Then it was time to make my oars.

DSC06970-M.jpg

DSC06971-M.jpg

DSC06976-M.jpg

Later I added some rope grips which you will see in the macros further down the page.

Then it was time to work on the pedestal. I got a pine pedestal from Hobby lobby since AL had included it on the parts list but not included it in my box…jerks (and yes I did try writing them - sent an email back in November…no response).

So I wanted to attach the  name plate to the base at an angle so I made some plywood out of some of my sheets of boxwood and cut it into the same shape as the nameplate then sanded it down into a wedge shape.

DSC06975-M.jpg

Then I attached it and used a dark walnut stain pen (you can see the own on the Left Hand Side).

DSC06978-M.jpg

Then I added about 10 coats of satin varnish and then the nameplate.

DSC06985-M.jpg

DSC06984-M.jpg

Then I thought some more about Bligh's epic voyage and remembered the carpenter's box.  I wasn't ambitious enough to try to make the box so that it opens or anything…but I did try to make it like the one I saw in the Mel Gibson version of the Mutiny on the Bounty movie.  I started with a bit of balsa that I shaped into a chest and then I stole some scraps of the mahogany that my husband had left over from planking his Swift. I cut these planks in half so they are about 1/16" wide each then applied them to my rough chest.

DSC06977-M.jpg

Then I made some tiny sculpy accessories, a latch, two hinges, and a drawer pull.  I also used some railroad decal rivets and pinted over them black. I applied some satin varnish (which looks shiny due to my lighting but isn't)

DSC06979-M.jpg

DSC06980-M.jpg

DSC06981-M.jpg

DSC06982-M.jpg

DSC06983-M.jpg

DSC06906-M.jpg

I then made some barrels for water or wine.

DSC06992-M.jpg

I added some gloss varnish to the inside of my bucket (which did dry clear)

DSC06986-M.jpg

Then I got out the big guns ;) 

DSC06993-M.jpg

That's my canon rebel T2i and if you know about photography you'll see my macro tube…so you know you are set for some macro goodness :)

DSC06994-M.jpg

Lets start with a couple photos for scale…

IMG_5109-M.jpg

IMG_5108-M.jpg

IMG_5107-M.jpg

And now for the super high quality camera photos…I'm including a link to the full size photos for your pixel happiness.

img_5099-M.jpg

img_5100-M.jpg

img_5098-M.jpg

img_5101-M.jpg

img_5104-M.jpg

img_5105-M.jpg

img_5097-M.jpg

img_5096-M.jpg

img_5094-M.jpg

img_5093-M.jpg

img_5095-M.jpg

img_5102-M.jpg

And now for the closeups

IMG_5090-M.jpg

IMG_5091-M.jpg

IMG_5089-M.jpg

IMG_5087-M.jpg

IMG_5088-M.jpg

IMG_5086-M.jpg

IMG_5085-M.jpg

IMG_5084-M.jpg

IMG_5082-M.jpg

IMG_5081-M.jpg

IMG_5080-M.jpg

IMG_5077-M.jpg

IMG_5078-M.jpg

IMG_5076-M.jpg

IMG_5075-M.jpg

IMG_5073-M.jpg

IMG_5074-M.jpg

IMG_5072-M.jpg

IMG_5070-M.jpg

IMG_5071-M.jpg

IMG_5069-M.jpg

IMG_5067-M.jpg

IMG_5068-M.jpg

IMG_5066-M.jpg

IMG_5065-M.jpg

IMG_5064-M.jpg

IMG_5062-M.jpg

IMG_5063-M.jpg

That's it. Thanks for looking! Good luck with your build.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Welcome home, Sarah.  Glad you came back and were able to re-construct your log.

Looking forward to your next build :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Augie. I can't wait to get my Harriet Lane reposted!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

I don't know if I ever saw the details of the chest and barrels.  That's a very nice touch good job!

Just to add to the welcomes and let you know I'm delighted to have your logs back on.

Tony

Daniel, Thanks! I had just added those details about 2 days before the site died so most people probably didn't see them.

Sjors, Thanks - glad to be back here! Good to see you too.

Carl, I'm just glad MSW was determined to come back even after the tragedy.  I won't be able to recognize you with that new avatar! Nice to see you!

Tony, Thanks, I'm glad you are on too!

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Bob, I think you murdered a few brain cells with that.

I got a PM asking me how I coiled my anchor rope that way so I made a new coil and took a few photos along the way. Lets start out with your materials that you'll need...

DSC07020-M.jpg

You need wood glue, rope, something small and round, tin foil or something else the glue doesn't really stick to, and optional tweezers.

Start by putting down a blob of glue.

DSC07021-M.jpg

DSC07023-M.jpg

Then spread it out so it is a thin layer. I do this with my fingers, but you can use whatever you prefer.

DSC07024-M.jpg

Take your round thing and stick it in the middle (I couldn't get a photo of this part since I had to use both hands)then twist the rope around the round thing slowly patting it around (this is with either your fingers or with the tweezers) You will need to go slow and wrap in a circle making sure all rows get at least some glue on it.

DSC07025-M.jpg

DSC07026-M.jpg

DSC07027-M.jpg

DSC07028-M.jpg

Now set it aside and wait awhile, I usually just wait until the surrounding glue has dried which can take awhile.

When you are done peel off any residue and you are done!

DSC07033-M.jpg

DSC07034-M.jpg

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Will add to the nice to see your stuff back Sarah!  This one came out terrific!! Nice extra detail!  Looking forward to seeing where you go with the Harriet =)

-Adam

Edited by SkerryAmp

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Sarah,

Really nice work, I like all the details you put in. I missed this build on the old MSW somehow. 

Nice little soft boxes your using, what are you using for diffuser material?

I know what you mean about pets, the FA (Future Admiral) came home home from a shoot with a "Squeaking-Ball-O-Fur" last July. She has grown into close to 9 pounds of Frolicking Feline Fury. Anything on my work bench is a toy. 

Looking forward to more builds form you.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Dennis, You are quite welcome. It is good for me to have it written down so I don't forget anyway :)

Sam, There was so much going on in the old MSW I don't blame you for missing it. Also I finished it during that small space between MSW 1 and 2 that was online for about a week. Thanks for the compliments :) As far as my camera studio.... it was a cheepie off Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MYASTG/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that is exactly it. Note that if you have a SLR you CANNOT use the "camera stand", use your own tripod. I will need a MUCH bigger one for my harriet lane.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Hi Sarah,

Nice little build! I do not think I saw her before on MSW... All the deck items do bring her to life.

I guess I'll have to take a look at your other builds.  ;)

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Adeline,

Thanks so much!

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

St. George, thanks :)

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

• 2 weeks later...

Gary, cool story - too bad Norstroms doesn't have that stuff anymore, I'd actually shop there if they did.

Buck, thank much!

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Nice work on the Jolly Boat. Excellent photography also.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

awww *blush* thanks.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Hello Sarah

Ive been looking over the Bounty Jolly boat logs. I see you and Mario have added carpenters tool boxs. Is there a written account of the voyage. I find it unusual that they would steal a Ship but not keep tools. Not saying I'm right, just I'd want tools if I was running from Her Majestys Wrath. Seem i remember the Bounty was believed to be scuttled and tools would be handy to start a society.

If you know of reading on this subject, I'm always interested in facts.

maybe I'll intertnet search

Nice build, enjoyed myself and envy that camera, although with my work it would show to many flaws.

Shine On -/\=

Keith

Aww, thanks... Well the box, to be honest is an homage to the most recent movie...the one with Mel Gibson and Bligh did bring a box with him. I don't know if it was a carpenters box or what though....As far as a book - well I haven't read it yet, but I do have this downloaded to my kindle...if you don't have a kindle or smartphone you can still read it on your computer... here is a link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083ZQ16Q/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title . It is free.

As far as the camera, well I just accidentally hit "Check out" at amazon on a new T4i....so you might be able to talk me into selling it this one (or my parent's old TSi that they replaced recently and gave me to sell) PM me if you are interested.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

If I remember correctly (not discounting any questions of historical bias or accuracy), in Nordoff and Hall's account, the carpenter was allowed to keep his tool chest, however most of his tools where kept by the mutineers. He was left with just a few basics.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I couldnt figure out how to get a non-kindle version but found it here in text. Easy cut and paste to word so I could up the font for my blind eyes and I think I'll be researching it abit tonight, if it isnt too dry. 84 pages at 14 font isnt bad an effort to have some details. Like why he sailed past new Guinea to Timor. I saw the map of the route sailed on spiff's base stand in his build log (that was an intriguing idea)

http://archive.org/stream/anarrativeofthem20337gut/pg20337.txt

Thats mean tempting me with a camera like that. Wish our budget could afford this hobby the way I'd like. First the kits, then tools, then books, then cameras.... I'm beginning to wonder where it ends. I'm looking at buying a lumber yard ATM also :D.

tmc

hello Andy

Thats what I'd think. In that time period a carpenter owned his own tools (T Jeffersons carpenter was a slave and didnt own himself but owned his tools), but the mutineers were stealing an HM ship and would not be able to just pull into any port and restock. and tools would be important for the future. 

Keith

You can actually get Kindle for your computer....http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=sv_kstore_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771  I still prefer paper but I do like the ability to have access to the readings anywhere.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

We have a pandigital which wont read mobi files. It has a Lynx OS IIRC. Tammy got it because of the back light for reading in the dark. I read paper or on the computer mostly, with computer becoming more common as my eyes go, as it gives me the ablity to increase the font. That way I can put off getting glasses. With the Lyme my vision changes from day to day and I think getting prescription lens would be a waste, so I use those cheapy $3 magnifier glasses. Being far sighted, those work about as well as Rx and it save money and another trip to Dr.

Keith