Anchor Hoy c. 1825 by Maury S - FINISHED - 1:48 - Harbor craft - POF

I sanded the bars down to approx. 2.75" and they look a lot better.  The block in the left foreground simply has a couple of "V" grooves (cut in on a full-sized table saw) that hold the bars (or any other straight pieces) in place while shaving or sanding.

AH_CapstanBars2.JPG.78a15f6f62746e9b51edd6ce5dd6924a.JPG

AH_CapstanBars3.JPG.f8c320291d9cf4e2b7f4d2e31d14cd14.JPG

Thanks for the comments.  Now on to the tiller and rudder.

Maury

Edited by Maurys

Darn, I am sorry I missed your log before this Maury; a very nice build of a non-typical subject.  I  will take some time to go back to the start and look more closely at your work. 

I hope you don't mind the last minute arrival of an audience?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Welcome Pat.  I was wondering where you were.;)

Maury

Gudgeons + pintles.  I cut and shaped some brass strips.  The gudgeon has a small piece of brass tubing and the pintle has a brass rod in the centers for the rudder hinges.  I filed a "flat" on both the tubing and rod pieces, dabbed a bit of silver solder on each and held them in place with pins on the magnesia soldering block.  Silver soldering gives me plenty of strength for the joint.

59ff284a72f39_AH_GudgPintles1.JPG.68b3d12eb627bb99b08a492dda1f6a67.JPG

They do not look complete, so I used some low temperature (438 degrees) silver solder (Home Depot, $6) to fill in and make it look more like a casting.

Solder.JPG.ec0fe8041c0eb2b59c604ced480d7ab3.JPG

First attempt with the butane torch unbonded the tube so I went to my hot air machine, set it to 440 degrees and it worked  well.  A little filing and they look better. Blackening next.  Getting them to line up on the rudder and hull will be a challenge (big fingers, small parts).

Maury

AH_Gudg+Pintles2.JPG

Maury, that looks so good.

Thanks for the info of the magnesia block.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Per,  The magnesia block is soft enough that you can use pins to hold pieces in place, stick parts into it while working, etc.  Powder sloughs off a bit and I assume it does not carry the risk of asbestos. 

Maury

The rudder irons are on, and smeared the paint.  No surprise there.  Now that they are blackened, would they have been painted over?  Minor adjustments needed so the pintles fit easily into the gudgeons.

AH_RudderTestFit.JPG.75843aba1e1f516c032495b5b0278446.JPG

While I was at it, I test-fitted the tiller.  It clears the capstan bars well.  Along the spirketing in the background you can see the brackets to store the capstan bars.  Cleats above for a line to hold them in place.

AH_TillerTestFit.JPG.d669ddebd5e3d430dadb6e5b0015a738.JPG

Maury

The metal work looks very good Maury.  Ed Tosti shows a good technique for lining them all up in his book, cannot recall if he has it in his log also.  he used a long pin through the gudgeons to align them, and if the pintles are then set straight all should be good.  I think he does top and bottom first if I recall.  Sorry if you were aware of this?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Interesting point that last photo raises for me: would the ship be under way and need steering when the capstan was in use? Enquiring minds....

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks Pat, I'll look it up.

Druxey,  Interesting question  (among many others).  I suspect the capstan was used only while hoisting an anchor and not while under sail.  Once lifted, an anchor would be made fast, bars removed (and put in the racks along the bulwarks), and then make their way to the destination. 

I test fitted the spencer mast and it looks good.  The block at the top is not permanent yet so there is room to move it a bit fore + aft.

AH_SpencerMastTest2.JPG.4db261cef9fdce47a8f44f68e64cbfc7.JPG

Another problem now arises.  The rigging of the shrouds (20' off the deck) will probably interfere with the hoisting of the gaff and sail.  We'll see.

Maury

• 2 weeks later...

Little things...I temporarily set the mast to establish where the mast step aligns.  Wedged into the partners so it sets at the proper rake and plumb sis-to-side.

AH_MastSet1.JPG.7af4066964b6c09bcf9fe567c956c727.JPG

The window frame in the background is my plumb line.

The mast wedges (below) will be put in once I'm ready to permanently step the mast.

AH_MastWedges.JPG.c78ebf25fdb2f25cc83a1d9b70426a67.JPG

Maury

Maury,

As I read your last posting, and looked at the background..... the masts are surely plumbed.

If you wouldn't had mentioned about the window,  I would had said something about it. 

Looks nice.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hi Maury - 

Really nice work on an unusual subject.  I like how the deck beams and underlying structure is shown, and how clean your masting is coming along.

I do have a bit of an issue with your rudder.  I may be mistaken, but with the angle that appears to exist between the rudder blade and the rudder head, I do not think that your rudder can turn.  With this kink, as the rudder blade pivots on the pintles and gudgeons, the rudder head would have to move in an arc, side to side.  But you have the rudder head going through a large block that fits tightly around the rudder head, giving it nowhere to move.  This may be an artifact of the photograph, but you probably should check it.  

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Dan, Thanks.  It is a bit awkward and maybe a bit exagerated.  See the original drawing  https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/13002-anchor-hoy-by-maurys-pof-harbor-craft-c-1825-148/

There is an off-set in  the rudder post.  It is a plug-stock rudder designed to minimize the amount of water that can get through.  See earlier comments on the rudder:

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/13002-anchor-hoy-by-maurys-pof-harbor-craft-c-1825-148/&page=11&tab=comments#comment-491561

It actually does swing a fair amount without binding.  One of the many issues with working from original drawings rather than actual plans.

Maury

I kept thinking about the rudder (rather than sleeping).  I'm going to see if changing the axis of rotation can be re-done and how that affects the entry through the counter and transom.

Maury

I made a new rudder, making sure the axis of rotation proceeds from the line of pintles (not installed) through the center of the upper portion of the rudder stock.

AH_2ndRudder2.JPG.9a1688432c14f7448b7d5c0752ef1db2.JPG

I'll have to enlarge the hole through the counter.  I'll find a way of creating a hole that the plug fits snuggly (is that a word?).

Maury

Maury - 

The new rudder looks great.  Sorry if my post had you doing extra work, but the improvement is noticeable.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Dan, No problem.  You were correct and that gentle nudge is is always helpful.

Reworking the rudder meant the post was further aft and the hole had to be enlarged.  While I haven't seen any details on other models or diagrams in books, I suspect that access to the rudder post would have been necessary.  The plate is temporarily set in place and has (simulated) screws for removal.

AH_RudderPlugCover.JPG.ee56a3fd43ff3e924b0c3011e496e326.JPG

I'm still working on a lot of details before I step the mast and bowsprit.  Assorted cleats eyebolts need to be installed.

AH_Bitts.JPG.22b4035a4d71be4808b43f199a200c70.JPG

Maury

I replaced the cleats.  Using a #76 drill bit I set holes through the cleats.  A piece of 24 gauge copper wire was then glued in to reinforce the cleats.

AH_Cleats2.JPG.11b98c2d183c71a1bceaf66e4558ab97.JPG

AH_Cleats3.JPG.8bb371fb7daa67f1b8a068a70a8a4340.JPG

I started working on some blocks.  After inspiration from Ed Tosti's recent YA post, I file the copper wire on the side of the block flat.  Looks much better!

AH_Blocks1.JPG.87b60693da3730b7f85c46b96fa3df1e.JPG

A problem may have been discovered!  A magnet holds fast against the spool of copper wire.  It's probably copper coated steel wire.  Is this going to be an issue?  Do I need to find some pure copper wire and replace what's been used?

Maury

Edited by Maurys

• 2 weeks later...

I finally received the spool of 24 gauge copper wire.  I hardened a couple of 3' long pieces by holding one end in the vise and pulling the other end until the wire broke.  It's interesting to see how much the wire stretches before it breaks.  Thanks to Ed Tosti for the instruction on hardening the wire.

Maury

I've finally found some time to work on the model.  I made some eye bolts and a few blocks with hooks.  The copper is soft even after hardening and too much bending (or squeezing in pliers) creates weak spots.  The blocks shown are Chuck's 1/8" box wood singles.  The wire is 24 gauge copper stretched to a .021" thickness.  The twisted part provides something for the glue to hold onto.   The inside diameter of the eyes is + / - .05" = 2.4" at scale.

5a3982684de1b_AH_BoltsBlocks.JPG.a68745d6cd0adf7e15c82dc6808ed732.JPG

A little more practice is needed for the hooks.

Maury

A couple of gun tackles were rigged.  They attach to the aft end of the bow sprit to run it out as needed.

5a3a93c594056_AH_GunTackle.JPG.22aa235d2448897ef7dee283da1a02b1.JPG

Just threading those blocks was a challenge.  Even the needle threader needed adjusting to get it through the holes.  I can't imagine how someone working in a smaller scale gets this done.

Maury

This is the double block at the mast head for the peak halliard.  All the copper will be blackened with liver of sulfur solution (which according to Ed Tosti will not discolor the wood).

AH_PeakHalliardDblBlock.JPG.fa22594ef9a8cf0273f83756520644af.JPG

Maury

The blocks for the topping lift and throat haillard are set into the piece at the top of the spenser mast.

AH_Blocks-Spenser.JPG.620fbcb80ec6910e89304a722da9d045.JPG

I can't tell you how many little pieces have jumped to places unknown.

Maury