Battle Station by cobra1951 - FINISHED - Panart - 1:23 - Also known as Posto Di Combattimento

Thanks for the likes and all input so far, much appreciated :)

Quick update

I have almost caught up with the other one, just need to finish off the gun port covers and rig them then i will be ready to continue on with both of them together.

You may notice that i have gone for a brown framework on this one, this is because i did not like the look of the first one in white. One coat of walnut wood dye gave it a mottled aged look which i liked so i left it at one coat :)

attachicon.gif54.JPG

attachicon.gif55.JPG

I really like that deck planking; understated but all the better and more pleasing for it. Nice work! Such a good build.

Completed build Caronada Francese

Completed build Posto di Combattimanto

Current build Navio Rayo - Puesto de Combate

Current build HMS Bounty

Completed build HMS Victory Cross Section

Completed build HM Brig "Supply"

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Made up the second set of cannons

post-11947-0-90593700-1465823440_thumb.jpg

Made some rings and hooks and finished off the ends of the breaching ropes

post-11947-0-57666900-1465823488_thumb.jpg

I do not want any movable parts that can come loose later on after the builds are finished, and then give me a nightmare of a job trying to get them back in place. So i drilled holes in the bottom of the cannon wheels and glued some brass wire in

post-11947-0-30204700-1465823652_thumb.jpg

Next i laid some masking tape across the deck

post-11947-0-34698800-1465823718_thumb.jpg

Then i carefully placed the cannons exactly where i want then to be and when i was satisfied with the placement i pressed down on the gun carriages with even pressure over each wheel

Note : in this picture you can see i have also made and fitted the shelving to the inner hull above the table

post-11947-0-28511900-1465823921_thumb.jpg

When the cannons are removed there are 4 marks left in the masking tape, i have highlighted them with pencil to make it easier for the camera to pick up the marks. all thats needed now is to drill out the holes where the marks are, apply glue to the brass rods in the wheels and place the cannons where i want them :)

post-11947-0-38310900-1465824103_thumb.jpg

That's a real good idea with the cannons

I second Don in saying real good idea for the anchoring the canons. I have had a few come loose over the years and that is a nightmare trying to put them back in place after decks have been installed and rigging has gone up. That will be great insurance against the glue not holding.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Thanks EJ.  :)  If the cannons are completely hidden except for the barrels poking through the gun ports,as well as glueing the wheels down i drill a small hole either side of the gun carriage and use some rigging cord and eye pins to tie them down as well

Edited by Cobr@

Very nice. I'm enjoying seeing the details at this larger scale. Especially the rigging which is nice as with smaller scales it can often be hard to see just what the ropes are doing. This also makes your photos look like they are on an actual ship rather than just a model of a ship. Of course that is also due to the great job you are doing on building these models.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Thanks EJ :)  The large scale makes it much easier to do which in turn makes it easier to keep it all neat and tidy. Except for my fingers they still end up covered in glue :D

That I understand. I've had some days where I felt like I peeled more glue off my fingers than I put on the ship! No wonder it feels like I'm always out of glue...  :P 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Hahaha! I've done that a time or 20! I once spent probably close to ten minutes looking for an eye bolt that I thought I dropped only to find it glued to the side of my finger. Though, when it comes to leaving DNA behind on a build it tends to be blood for me. Never fails that I will cut or poke myself with a carving tool or knife, shrug it off then later look at the piece I was holding and there will be smears of blood on it. Maybe I should take up a safer hobby. :D

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

These pictures are really amazing, and your work is fantastic Bob. I was looking at the table thinking it looked rather empty.....any thoughts on maybe a couple mugs of grog, stout, beer......... :)

Thanks for your kind remarks Don :) and also thanks to all for the likes and input so far :)

I know what you mean about the bare table but there a few containers and a small barrel that can be left on the table once i have made them as seen in the pic. I can't be bothered to make anything because i am itching to be starting my Occre Endeavour soon

post-11947-0-16231200-1466190522_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cobr@

Moved on a little bit further

Cut away the rear supports from the 3 main frames and fitted the 6 pillars that support the upper deck frames

post-11947-0-91207900-1466191264_thumb.jpg

post-11947-0-95743900-1466191274_thumb.jpg

Started to make the containers (not sure what they contain though LOL)

Cut 10mm dowel to length, rounded one end and cut a groove in so it looks like they have a lid on them

Cut and bent some brass wire to make the handles.

All i need to do now is to get the inclination to fit the handles and paint them up :D

post-11947-0-51383700-1466191516_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob, it looks like I am looking at a full scale ship. Very inspirational. Thanks for sharing.

Ian

Thanks Ian. The fact that it's 1/23 scale helps :)

How is your Victory coming along ?, not heard anything for a while

Edited by Cobr@

They might be the cartridge carriers for the powder monkeys. Powder bag, wad(s) and the projectile (round shot, bar shot, etc.).

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I was also thinkimg that they were probably the containers for the powder bags. Would love to find out for certain. In any case they, along with the rest are looking quite good. I too am excited to see you start on your endeavour model but push through and finish as you are near the end!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

I agree with Ken..  cartridge containers to carry the powder bags from the magazine to the gun.  Some had flat lids, some had rounded.  Usually painted red with a leather carrying strap.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

@ Ken, EJ and Mark

Ahh yes i agree with all of you about what the containers are for. Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated :)

This just highlights once again the lack of information in instructions. Even if they left it in the same language as the rest of the instructions, to put the name of the parts you are actually building would cost nothing but would help immensely for anyone wanting to research the part. :angry:

Rant over on with the building :)

That has always been a pet peeve of mine in model building. The instructions/plans may show the part but not tell you what it is or name a part but not show you where it goes. The latter is easier to figure out thanks to google searching or posting the question on here. The former however bothers me because I want to know what I am building and why. I build ships to learn about them as much as to enjoy building them. I want to know what that piece is for, what the rope does, where they go and why they go there. Most of that I can figure out through reading other books and minor research but not if they do not tell me what the part is to begin with.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Lovely build, some items to remember, better to save a link to your build! The only thing which struck me as a pity, is the manufacturer using plywood for the beams.

Great work

Yes ply doesn't look to good but as it's the main frame i think strength was the main thing they were thinking of. Where the ply will be exposed i plan to put a piece of 0.5mm x 6 mm line over it and stain the same as the rest of the beam :)