King of the Mississippi by Jparsley - FINISHED - Artesania Latina

maturin52 is right 

the planking needed to be open in the front so the piece in the pic could slide between the 2 sides of the planking

you might be able to sand the point of the bow flat and might have to cut a new piece to fit the contor of the bow

or replank

this is one of those OH NO moments

can't wait to see what you come up with, wish I could be of more help

Joe

Depends on how accurate you want it to look, I guess. To my eyes it'd be a significant missing feature.

I'd suggest shaping a new piece to fit the shape of your bow, and filing a notch into the backside into which the point of the bow would fit. Having the stempiece overlap the bow planking would still technically be "wrong", but would simulate "right" far better than leaving it off.

It should be fairly easy to do this, as your bow is straight so you don't have to fit anything to a curve. 

Nice work on the stem.  It looks like it's supposed to be there.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Two thumbs up on the fix, she looks good. What was the final procedure?

I just got aware of this forum, and I know you will be happy with it. It may not be to late  to put lights in it. You can see what I did with lights in Bluejackets kit of the portland, and the Mantura kit of the Mississippi River boat. there is a forum on both.

Mississippi Riverboat by chborgm - Mantua - Scale 1:50

Portland by chborgm - Bluejacket

Let me know how I can help.

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

It is really simple.

All you need is a 120v to 12v adaptor like you use for a clock etc. Also you can buy all the 3 mm and 5mm leds prewired with resistor you want on ebay.  They are about 20 cents each. They come from China so it takes a couple weeks to get. On my Mississippi Riverboat model I have about thirty running off one adapter. No trick to wiring just take the + output from the adapter to the red wire to the light and thats it. 

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

• 1 month later...

Hey guys sorry for the long absence from this string Life and other builds getting in the way Anyways worked on this doll for a bit today I putt the rubber bumper rail on the sides It required breaking out the old bending iron Then the first part of the first deck structure the instructions call it the boiler room but to me it seems more of a storage room Anyways it's basically a square as you can see made out of plywood but the magical trick was to take a bunch of thin strips or wood mark the sides with a smelly black marker and glue them with precision and attemp to make something that resembles a wall made of planks Used the high quality walnut to trim the doorways and make corners on each side More to come soon I hope

post-18711-0-68019400-1468218119_thumb.jpeg

post-18711-0-26672900-1468218151_thumb.jpeg

post-18711-0-74072900-1468218162_thumb.jpeg

That structure does sit approximately where the boilers would be on a real vessel, so boiler room seems an appropriate label.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice job, congratulations on finishing! Depending on the nature of the ex, you can always put a log through the bow and display it canted over at a 30° angle...