HM Bomb Vessel Granado 1756 by Timmo - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64

A mass blackening of some upcoming hull ironwork was carried out. I've given up on the dodgy microwaving of solution for heat and use a bowl full of hot water to sit the container of solution in to keep it nice and hot to speed the blackening process.

Included in this lot are swivel guns and brackets, sweep port hinges, spanshackles, chainplates and chase port door hinges.

post-271-0-38514400-1398487642_thumb.jpg

Swivel guns attached. The blob at the end of the training handle is painted pva glue. Only one installed for a look. They'll be the last thing put on.

post-271-0-75709300-1398487670_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-97423400-1398487703_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-17365300-1398492555_thumb.jpg

A view of the rest of the swivel gun pedestals and sweep port hinges attached.

post-271-0-00343100-1398487749_thumb.jpg

The fore-most sweep ports will be left open. A ring bolt was added to the inside. This wasn't done on the closed ports as it simply can't be seen. This looks delicate and primed for destruction as the build continues but they are surprisingly strong as the hinges are glued a few mm into the hull and edge of the port also provides stability.

I'll be prepared for 'I told you so' if I do lose them.

post-271-0-38413900-1398487806_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-53604800-1398487833_thumb.jpg

Edited by Timmo

Hi Timmo

I've just been contemplating whether to add lids to my sweep ports. The kit doesn't show them but some contemporary models of similar ships to mine do. You have a very tidy solution there and they look very good - I'll have to keep thinking...

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Minor amendment to the open port- I've changed the ring bolt to hang down instead of defying gravity.

Channels are next.

Hi Timmo - not stolen, just like everything here, happily shared. Great work by you, I could do it outside today too but lack a table for such things.

Cheers

Alistair

I like the paintwork on the gun carriges Timmo. Very nice.

My Granado kit should arrive on my doorstep Thursday, and  I can't wait to start her! I'm certainly going to be borrowing some of your fantastic ideas. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Great to hear Joe. I look forward to following your progress on this fine vessel.

I find my mind wandering to possible next projects...

Channels and chainplates under construction. The facing on the outside was 2mm walnut, the 1.5mm recommended in the kit seems too narrow.

post-271-0-68451400-1399024992_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-22382700-1399024951_thumb.jpg

Facing yet to be trimmed but here is a problem in the offing- one of the sweep ports on the main channel on the starboard side is too far to the rear. As a result it's partially obstructing the chain plate. It's not quite as bad as it appears on the pic as the chain will be slanted further aft but it looks a little awkward compared to the others. The port side is fine but I'm wondering how I got one positioned about 4mm off.

Tomorrow I might shave the port lid and hinge off and see if I can shift it forward a couple of millimeters without exposing the port hole.

Any other suggestions welcome.

post-271-0-53325500-1399025045_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-18288100-1399025112_thumb.jpg

Edited by Timmo

Very nice work there Timmo, those are very interesting deadeye strops, never seen them like that before.  I experience exactly the same issue on Snake, its like playing russion roulette, no matter how much you try to get it correct, there seems to be one that doesn't work.  I decided not to try any drastic fix simply because the angle of the chains and the different viewing angles mean that it doesn' really jump out at you (and no-one else will notice).  In my opinion, its viusually more important to have the chains looking consistent and angled correctly than adjusting them to allow the sweep port to theoretically function.  My opinion only.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Channels unvarnished but pinned on.

There are elbow brackets that sit on the tops of the main channels that are provided in the kit as photo etch but it simply looks too thin so they will be fabricated out of kit walnut. Probably ply with the laminated surfaces painted.

There's also a couple of pedestal brackets on each side to sit on the main channels.

post-271-0-52716100-1399182914_thumb.jpg

Building beer of the day is a Black Duck Porter from Hawkes Bay Independent Brewery. A London style porter with some decidedly chocolate and coffee tones and possibly a hint of smoke. Nice but a bit syrupy so one is certainly enough.

Hi Timmo

Just rechecked my Granado and you are right: Those elbow/knee pieces are a bit flimsy. However they shouldn’t have to hold much pull from the shrouds. The resulting force on the channels should be directed broadside on through the channels into the ships side; provided the chain plates have a little play and are allowed to find their own balanced position. The said pieces then should only take a little strain when setting up or resetting the shrouds. At least that’s what I still understand from my design lectures– but be warned: My structure work was occasionally a source of wonder for the professor.

I was also thinking about that sweep port problem and believe Jason is right. Nobody will notice it – except you.

About that beer: In my opinion it’s already hard enough to have to drink it upside down. You shouldn’t aggravate the situation with syrupy consistencies. Try to get hold of a Swiss beer. No chocolate in there – we successfully sell that separately.

:cheers:

Cheers (!)

Peter

Thanks Peter.

You are right about the brackets. They shouldn't be taking any load all as the channels are very securely pinned. They are not glued yet but are solidly in place even before an application of CA thanks to the brass pins.

It's more about aesthetics for the elbows as it's always going to look like PE to me unless timber is substituted.

Also the sweep port will stay where it is. With all channels on it's hard to see which one is the problem unless you look harder.

As for the beer, all donations gratefully received if you think I'm suffering for choice. Having it flow so freely from the bottle here in the Southern Hemisphere depletes the stocks!

Looking very nice Timmo. My Granado kit arrived the other day and I've going through the contents over the weekend. I'm very impressed with the quality. I hope to start on her next weekend, and will be using some of the great ideas I've gotten from your build. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

I'll be looking for that build log Joe. Judging by your Prince your Granado will be a beauty. I hope my rigging comes out as clean as yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Minor progress with the chain plates pinned in place. A mast was put in place and some rigging line tied off to give the run of the chainplates.

I pulled my old Sherbourne out recently to contribute to a display of my dad's woodwork and boats and noticed I must have fixed the chainplates as per the plans rather than following the rigging line. It's only noticeable on the Sherbourne now I know what to look for but I'm keen to avoid that mistake with Granado.

post-271-0-65251400-1400387929_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-79182200-1400388082_thumb.jpg

The fleet takes in the last of the autumn sunshine together.

post-271-0-14320200-1400388231_thumb.jpg

Thanks Andy, Joe and others.

Andy It's a montieths imperial pilsner. A touch hoppy at 7% but not overly so. Well recommended, along with autumn sunshine, the smell of roasting chicken and kids playing in the backyard...along with ships it's part of my Sunday arvo ritual to make my 'happy place.'

Edited by Timmo

• 1 month later...

A long time distracted and then rigging guns but here they are. Remaining deck furniture up next including bitts, pumps, QD barricade and the tiller housing.

post-271-0-58881300-1403671967_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-71188500-1403672003_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-60014200-1403672086_thumb.jpg

Superb gun rigs there Timmo and all else besides. A long time between drinks but worth the wait!

Cheers

Alistair

I agree - absolutely worth the wait! Looking very spiffy there Timmo.