HM Bomb Vessel Granado 1756 by Timmo - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64

Hi Timmo,

Wonderful job on your headrail. I just finished mine as well. Nothing like yours...

I am watching and learning. Beautiful work!

Cheers, Julian

Julian

Current: Mamoli - Friesland

Billing Boats - Dutch Sperwer

Finished: Billing Boats - Bluenose

Mamoli - Santa Maria

On Hold: Caldercraft - Bomb Vessel Granado

Autumn is in the air for today's spell in the garage shipyard.

The dregs of cyclone Lusi pass overhead bringing a gusty wind and spot of rain from the dark sky. A porter ale in hand to match the mood and On to the port headrail/ cathead knee.

Symmetry is the issue here. A trace of the one already completed onto paper and a fold to invert the image to proved a template to help with the other side piece.

post-271-0-72076200-1394946995_thumb.jpg

The same method of Dremel, bench sander, file and sandpaper was used to and shape the piece.

Plenty of test fitting is the order of the day.

post-271-0-66433900-1394947528_thumb.jpg

The largely finished piece, right, compared to the other. None fixed as yet. I was a bit too vigorous on it and snapped it. Easily glued back together but that spells the end of progress today while the glue sets.

post-271-0-20600700-1394948426_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-05216800-1394948450_thumb.jpg

Looking very good to me Timmo. Symmetry achieved - I wish I could say the same for my weekends efforts with copper tiles. Lusi was slow to arrive but here now with some fine winds and heavy rain - nothing that we aren't used to!

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

The head rails had a centre section carved out to created raise prfofiles on either side. It's a little rough thanks to the file slipping and he grain on the walnut but it'll do. The centres were painted up to match the rest

Two part epoxy was used to attach the head rails. It claimed a setting time of 4 minutes but was more like an hour resulting in a lot of smearing to remove and paint over later.

post-271-0-09014000-1395168788_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-36856700-1395168807_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-83266800-1395168833_thumb.jpg

While the epoxy was out the remaining stern figures were added. The castings are not quite symmetrical so bit of gentle pressure bent them on the right angle to have their heads resting against the taffrail. The bases they rest on had the edge facing the hull shaped to fit neatly.

The wee dolphin carvings were set further back towards the stern than the kit instructions show. According to AOTS Granado they are almost a continuation of the stern carvings.

post-271-0-93387700-1395168854_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-78200100-1395168875_thumb.jpg

His majesty's bomb vessel Granado as she now stands

post-271-0-80542300-1395168900_thumb.jpg

Beautiful work. I like the way you painted her.

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Wow - that looks superb in every respect. Strikes me that you have set THE standard for this kit. Great work.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Echoing what everyone has already said, shes simply stunning Timmo, outside views really show her off.  Given your experience on this, would you consider using a different wood other than walnut next time?  Walnut just seems so hard to work with sometimes, but it can give nice wood tone as you've shown.  The underwater paint looks perfect as well.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Jason, thanks for the comments.

yes I would seriously consider boxwood or another timber next time. This is my second kit so was started without much consideration for materials etc and I've learned a lot since about the splintering and grain properties of walnut. Looking at the head rails especially I think they could have been a lot neater with a different timber but cost is a consideration so depending on what I embark on next I may be stuck with it yet.

• 3 weeks later...

With all the changes to the head rails the bowsprit was temporarily fitted and gammoning applied to make sure there was nothing that would be in the way later.

post-271-0-59176000-1396636357_thumb.jpg

A small but nerve wracking addition was the hawse holes.

I added a reinforcing plank between the cheeks as per AOTS and as a result thinned down the bolster a bit and rounded the top and semi circle edges.

The bolster was held in place while holes were marked with the flat end of the 3.5mm drill bit dipped in paint. A smaller pilot hole was drilled first before the larger one. This was done with a Dremel. The bit was too long and had a little bit of wobble making the hole slightly bigger than I would have liked but nothing major. Tape on both faces prevented splintering which was my big fear. Not a lot of second chances with this area.

post-271-0-35391300-1396636486_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-31262600-1396636508_thumb.jpg

Now the final centre head rail can be knocked up.

Edited by Timmo

The vertical timbers of the head rails were made up from some curved pieces of ply from the kit that were unused from the hair brackets. In a technique copied from Mitsuaki Kubota's fine Bellerophon build they were painted blue and some half mm walnut were laminated to the sides. This was sanded back to give a nice edge.

post-271-0-39582800-1396857592_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-32509700-1396857627_thumb.jpg

Careful shaping ensured a close fit.

post-271-0-42345300-1396857731_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-21554300-1396857748_thumb.jpg

The centre hair brackets running horizontally between the upper cheek and upper rail have been made up and painted and await cutting and fitting to slot between the verticals.

I'll be glad when this lot is finished.

Edited by Timmo

Fabulous work Timmo - did I say definitive in a previous post? Well that is what it is.

It is strange how we get into parts of this hobby and then can't wait for them to end - "I'll be glad when this lot is finished". A bit like climbing hills (which I did in the weekend - the Tongariro Crossing). Can't wait to get over the tedium of one part of the climb but when you do, the view is so good you want to climb higher. Keep it up, I like the views from your peaks.

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks Alistair and very poetically put. Nice weekend for the crossing. Bet you could almost see your house from there.

Irony is next on the agenda is shaping and installing swivel gun pedestals and then installing the carriage guns- read repetitive.

But the head rails were always the bit I anticipated would cause the biggest block in construction and that's because I wanted to give it a bit extra.

That's how we learn.

Edited by Timmo

Hi Timmo

It’ is great how you improve that already excellent kit!

Keep up the good work

Peter

Just terrific work on the head, and all around.

I'm really leaning toward Granado more and more for my next build. Your log has been very inspiring in that regard. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Thanks joe. It's a fine kit with just a bit of extra difference in the way of the mortars and the bling on the stern. I'd highly recommend it.

Here's what we're aiming for. The Granado plans from the national maritime museum at Greenwich. This is low-res off the website as I don't like taking my copy out of the tube much until I can afford to get it framed as a new crease appears each time. Note the detail with the hair bracket etc. quite a bit there that's not in the kit.

post-271-0-52479700-1397026120_thumb.jpg

At last the finished rails with centre section added. The fit on some of the rail sections isn't that tight but it's mainly on the inside which should be hidden by gammoning and the bowsprit. It will be harder to do the gammoning now but shouldn't be impossible.

Our friend Hermes isn't fixed yet and won't be until the bowsprit is on. He's already had his caduceus (twirly stick) broken, which will be fixed later.

post-271-0-14834100-1397026052_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-11325400-1397026074_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-55648900-1397026106_thumb.jpg

Edited by Timmo

Timmo,

Lovely work on your headrails, and love your attention to detail. Looking forward to more. :)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Hi Timmo

What a nice ship you are building .

Your paint work is just out of this world.

Love your attention to all the detail , just fantastic work very well done.

Denis.

Hi again Timmo

I looked at getting  prints of the SOS and the Royal William from the NMG  but they wanted 60 pounds each + P&P so gave it a miss.

Denis.

Thanks for the kind words Denis. My Granado plans were about $70 including PP. I guess that's he benefit of a smaller vessel.

I've just noticed a bundle of pics have disappeared from the log. I'll try to replace them but suspect some may have been deleted since.

At last it's time for something that's not head rails. The pedestal for the swivel guns are fairly simple affairs constructed of 4mm square shaped to an octagonal cross section. Filing the notches for the sheer and rough tree rail was not as difficult as I expected but just needs some care. Measuring on one side for the correct angle gives the right angle to cut for the opposite side. There's 14 of these to make up.

post-271-0-01451800-1397882873_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-64375300-1397882920_thumb.jpg

Easter weekend means a bit of time on my side for once so I also replaced part of the sheer rail at the bow where I'd cut it a bit short while installing the cathead knee/head rail. It had been on my mind ever since.

Also today's beer is a doppelbock. Not a bad drop with a load of maltiness but more of a red hue than a full black or porter ale. The taste of autumn...

Edited by Timmo

Continues to be stunning - so crisp. I need a lesson in how you paint as my stern decoration beckons. I think the Amati Fly version is inferior to yours. It is very hard to pick out what is what. Will have a crack at it soon and may revert to you for advice!

Cheers

Alistair