HM Bomb Vessel Granado 1756 by Timmo - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64

• 2 weeks later...

Having a go at the shrouds. AOTS Suggests they are served down to the catharpins but am I right in thinking the foremost ones should be served all the way down to the deadeye as per Steel's rigging masterwork?

Suggestions welcome.

Timmo - that seems to have been common practice.  Only other thing to consider is the scale question,  I've decided against serving anything .75mm and smaller thinking it looks too thick and out of scale, that's just my opinion though.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Good point Jason. I've served it and it looks ok on 1mm thread. The first starboard shrouds are installed. I'll post some pics when I get a mo.

Another diversion here but here's a souvenir that some might appreciate - a very fine depth gauge. It's from the now abandoned engineering workshop at the paper where I work after the press was decommissioned. It was used to calibrate press rollers to very fine tolerances for decades

Little ship modelling value but it makes you appreciate the quality and workmanship that used to go into tools that is so hard to find now.post-271-0-06617800-1417673258_thumb.jpg

Nice piece of printing history there Wayne, haven't seen one in a while.

Both my wife and I work in the industry as well. I work for one of the largest ink companies in the world (I did work in rollers many years ago), and she's a copy editor at the newspaper. She waits every day for her job to disappear...

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Small world isn't it Joe? The physical end of the business is disappearing rapidly all right - this website is an example of why. On the plus side when I started out only 15 years ago I didn't think I'd be involved in some of the cool things we do online now.

But I miss taking a new reporter out to show them the press in full flight as it was a good education on the potential for their mistake to be on every one of the 50,000 copies spinning through it.

On the modelling front I've gained a very large workbench which will enlarge my modelling space dramatically and am also re jigging the serving machine slightly to speed up shroud production to try to keep ahead of you

• 4 weeks later...

I'm away from home for a couple of weeks on summer holiday but after days of boating, fishing, swimming and general lounging about I've been rigging the yards in the evening. These are now all complete with the exception of the stirrups for the horses which are brass rod and will need some crafty cutting twisting and blackening when home again.

From left are the mizzen yards sitting on the mizzen upper and top mast and at right the main. At lower left is the spritsail yard.

post-271-0-79564800-1420495155_thumb.jpg

Note the early style rigging of the main yard horses with deadeyes. This would presumably have allowed them to have the tension adjusted as per the shrouds but seems to have dropped out of favour in latter years.

post-271-0-52239400-1420495404_thumb.jpg

Some nautical trivia from my beach holiday. The town of Whitianga in Mercury Bay is know for a visit by Cook aboard the Endeavour but another of his majesty's ships left a more enduring mark.

HMS Buffalo was a transport ship built in Calcutta in 1813 and later used to carry convicts and colonists to Australia ( New Zealand was never sullied with transported prisoners) and transport kauri timber spars from NZ for the admiralty. She was blown ashore in a gale in 1840 and later broke up on the beach which was named after her and where I now paddle about with the kids. Only two souls were lost during the wreck.

It's hulk was briefly uncovered during a tsunami scare only 100m off the beach in 1960 and there are various small bits and pieces of her including copper sheathing in the local museum.

There are some rather nice images of the Buffalo by artist G Jackson on signs marking the spot of the wreck with the one of her grounding capturing the sense of stricken inevitability that must have hung over her once she was on the beach in a then-remote bay with little in the way of other vessels or infrastructure about for aid.

post-271-0-09192500-1420504544_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-51445300-1420504674_thumb.jpg

The waters are somewhat more calm today..

post-271-0-30309500-1420504801_thumb.jpg

There are plans for the various conversions of the vessel in the NMM but little in the way of a proper hull plan that I can see with some initial looking although there are some slightly misshapen looking models in Australian Museums that can be seen online.

It would make a nice scratch build project one day...

Yards looking good there Wayne, nice work. Neat info there about the wreck.

Enjoy that nice weather, I'm jealous. Winter is here with a vengeance suddenly. 

Oh, and I may yet not catch you. I'm going to be doing a bit of a remodel to my workspace, so that may serve to slow my torrid pace a bit. Although I am starting to daydream a bit about the next build...

Joe Volz

Current build:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Nice looking yards Timmo, very neat work -  will be getting back to mine on Snake soon hopefully with your inspiration.  I see you used black thread for the stirrups rather than usual natural thread, seems to give a little more muted result which I quite like.  Very jealous of the gorgeous beach location!

BTW - I'm disappointed to see what I thought to be purely an American affliction rearing its head in New Zealand, namely referring to His/Her Majesty's Ships as the THE HMS 'Such-and-such'....I always think of the restaurant in the movie "Mickey Blue Eyes" called "The La Trattoria"  B)

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Small progress but the sort that makes a difference in the mental battle that is rigging-the final shroud for the lower mainmast has been installed. I'll rig the dead eyes when the mizzen ones are done.

Also the gammoning for the bowsprit has been installed.

As per AOTS an eye was spliced in the 1mm rope with a needle used for this.

post-271-0-84233300-1420869023_thumb.jpg

The addition of the extra rails did make the rigging of the gammoning a bit more difficult but this was expected and the hours spent measuring back when making the hair bracket and other rails paid off. The foremost middle rail on the port side broke free while rigging but this was no drama and made the rigging easier.

post-271-0-47155100-1420869649_thumb.jpg

Five turns around the bowsprit before the thread was threaded into a needle to spread up the final turns around the centre of the gammoning before it was tied off.

post-271-0-47583300-1420869709_thumb.jpg

Gammoning finished.

post-271-0-96720800-1420869765_thumb.jpg

Also, here is my new bench I mentioned a way back that should increase my workspace. It's an old cast off (with vice included) from the engineering shop at work that I've added a new plywood top and back to.

I'm staggered at how simple general household maintenance tasks and woodworking is when all the tools are ordered and close to hand. If only I didn't have to share it all with the family wagon...

Messy cutting and sanding will be done there while in the distance at the back on my old modelling table the sharp eyed observer will see a byrnes table saw picked up second hand from a MSW member. I can now see why people rave about these machines. Scratch builds are what the future holds if I'm not being too optimistic.

post-271-0-70858700-1420870206_thumb.jpg

Edited by Timmo

Looking good Wayne.

The gammoning was the first thing I did, and with my new headrails was quite a test of threading the needle. 

Nice additional space you have there now. My personal shipyard is temporarily closed while I re-model my workroom. Did lots of painting (walls) today.  

Joe Volz

Current build:

The lower shrouds have been rigged and lanyards tied. The foremost shroud was seized it's entire length and the rest seized on the uppermost portion down to about where the catharpins will be.

post-271-0-47420400-1421556786_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-55946000-1421556845_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-92791500-1421556880_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-73811600-1421556994_thumb.jpg

Looking good Wayne.

How's your serving machine working out? The results look nice. 

You are going to stay ahead of me for awhile. I've been busy remodeling/painting my hobby room, so I've gotten nothing done on Granado of late. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

The serving machine is great. Well worth the effort of knocking it up. I'm looking forward to a pic of this modelling Mecca you're going to have Joe.

Catharpins were made up using Dan Vadas' HMS Vulture example as a guide but of course aren't nearly as neat.

post-271-0-44084900-1421795558_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-64374300-1421795592_thumb.jpg

Catharpins look good to me Wayne. They're a tricky little thing. 

You're pulling away again, as I'm now delayed another week or so on progress as I wait for my Domanoff serving machine to arrive... :D

Joe Volz

Current build:

Domanoff! You've gone gold standard there Joe.

Mine needs new clips as the ones on it are small battery terminal gator clips and the thread often slips through as it's too small.

Well, the Domanoff one is actually purchase number two. I bought the one from Flagship Models and was really disappointed in both the quality and functionality. Big waste and it went in the trash. I should have just gone with Alexi to start with... That's what I get for trying to save some money!

Joe Volz

Current build:

Everything is coming together wonderfully, looking really really sharp! Catharpins look great and you got them to what looks like the perfect length, well done.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Futtock shrouds here.

I tried seizing an eye for the hook end but the result just looked over scale.

post-271-0-96016400-1422237919_thumb.jpg

A simple knot worked out better. The shrouds were passed around the futtock stave to the right tension and the seized to the lower shrouds. This follows practice seen elsewhere and has the advantage of leaving a tidy result with no large knots on the futtock stave.

post-271-0-86430200-1422238082_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-83138800-1422238112_thumb.jpg

Rat lines approach but I'll mix it up with some stays to relieve the monotony.

Interestingly. While tying the F shrouds outside on the deck on a hot summer's day Granado was caught in an unexpected squall.

The wind came out of nowhere and increased rapidly in strength until trees began shaking and the outdoor umbrella came down on my work table, nearly claiming Granado. It was all hands on deck to reduce top hamper until the gust departed as suddenly as it arrived.

Gives you an appreciation for mariners being caught by a sudden squall and laid on their beam ends...

• 3 weeks later...

The lower rat lines have been tied for a while now but I've just finished colouring them black with ink.

post-271-0-61702300-1424069287_thumb.jpg

Also installed are the cabin light lids which were the kit ply with planking attached on one side to match the hull and sanded thinner with a rebate on the edges cut in. A ring bolt was added on the inside face.

post-271-0-38496800-1424069574_thumb.jpg

The lower stays have also been completed.

Again following from Dan Vadas' fine swan class build I turned some mice (mouses?) from wood for the stays, which were served a few scale feet past the mouse for each.

post-271-0-74552500-1424069828_thumb.jpg

The timber used for the say mouse was some manner of African Blackwood, possibly ebony obtained from a mate throwing out some old book ends, The book ends were 'L' shape with carved elephants attached. He kept the elephants and passed on the ends thinking they'd either be good as pizza oven fuel or for boat building.

I've never worked with such a heavy, dense wood before. It's great and turned the very small mice nicely.

post-271-0-41131200-1424070099_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-47701500-1424070149_thumb.jpg

Also knocked up were some anchor buoys .

post-271-0-48689500-1424070198_thumb.jpg

And in a little experiment a 9lb gun in 64th scale was tinkered with on the lathe. Not the neatest but fun and it's incredible how black this timber is. There more uses for it in future I'm sure,

post-271-0-94677400-1424070792_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Not much real progress of late except the mizzen upper shrouds done and both crows' feet. Been distracted watching cricket World Cup matches instead and working on other workshop projects.

Crows' feet were quite fiddly to get to correct tension on- a bit too much would pull the stays up and too little would lead to the inner crows feet strands being saggy. It was helpful to find that this piece of rigging was only designed to prevent topsail abrasion against the stays as I had begun the process thinking it was designed to spread the load from the stay to the tops as well as the mast. Hence I was cranking on too much tension initially. The main crows foot was rigged about four times before it looked right.

post-271-0-96376800-1425793793_thumb.jpg

Edited by Timmo

Nice job on the crowsfeet Wayne. I can see how that may take a few tries. I'll find out soon enough...

Joe Volz

Current build: