Sovereign of the Seas 1637 by modelshipwright (Bill Short) - Sergal - 1:78 - Port "as built", Starboard "as presented to King Charles I for approval"

Thanks for all the comments from visitors to the build.

The last figure is now mounted on the bulkhead and the next chore is to carve the gunport surrounds.

post-2916-0-07169300-1461264023_thumb.jpg

More to follow...................

Edited by modelshipwright

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

The blanks for the gunport surrounds are cut and the first is roughed out with the dental drill ready for finished carving.

post-2916-0-18014800-1461267298_thumb.jpg

More to follow............

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Beautiful work, Bill.   How many gunports get the carvings?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful work, Bill.   How many gunports get the carvings?

Thanks Mark. There are four gunports between the carvings that get surrounds although, in the Van de Velde sketch there is an indication of two more outer ports that do not have cannons. They do not appear on the Payne engraving. Not sure yet what I will do about them yet.

Regards,

Bill

This photo shows the size of the gunport surround carving in its rough format. It remains to clean up and finish the carving prior to mounting on the bulkhead.

post-2916-0-05042700-1461329164_thumb.jpg

More to follow.............

Looks like an excellent candidate for resin casting.

You could do it that way, but all the carvings on my Sovereign are carved individually from boxwood. As boxwood changes colour with exposure to light, getting darker over time, the look is constantly changing. Therefore, all carvings must be in boxwood for consistency. Maybe another time on another model.

Regards,

Bill

Excellent work Bill B) My take on the van de velde work was that although six ports are shown,the cannons would be have to be moved from the front most port to the outer ones in the bulkhead.There isn't sufficient deck space to use two seperate cannons for both ports.at the front corner.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks for the comments from everyone who visited the build.

The carving is now mounted on the bulkhead. There will be a crown added directly above it in the future. The bulkhead is starting to look filled in, slowly but surely. 

post-2916-0-17226600-1461417517_thumb.jpg

One down and three more to go. Hopefully without breaking off the very small points as Druxey has noted.

More to follow.......

Gun surround number two is carved and in place. I set one of the blanks for carving number three against the bulkhead to show the raw blank sketched and ready for carving.

post-2916-0-94647400-1461441951_thumb.jpg

Now for number three.

What Nigel said is an interesting take on what the extra gun ports might have been used for. I just have to decide whether I want to include them or not.

Brilliant work Bill the bulk head is stunning, looking forward to the next update

Rgd BV

Black Viking is correct! Brilliant artmanship on t h e carvings!

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Well, after a disastrous first attempt ending up in the scrap box, the third gun port surround is now completed and in place on the model.

post-2916-0-26547500-1461508781_thumb.jpg

On to the fourth and hopefully it will go smoothly.

Thanks to everyone who dropped by.

Well, after gun surround #4 found the scrap bin as it broke in two, I spent yesterday planking the side panel for the beak on the port side in preparation for mounting after the bulkhead ornamentation is completed. I carved a new surround this morning and it thankfully survived the process in one piece.

post-2916-0-20445700-1461678976_thumb.jpg

Here it is mounted on the bulkhead and the set of four is now complete.

post-2916-0-42271500-1461679015_thumb.jpg

More to follow...............

• 2 weeks later...

The first of four crowns to be mounted above the fleur-de-lis at each of the gun ports on the beakhead bulkhead is underway.

post-2916-0-10640400-1462886315_thumb.jpg

Life got in the way of my ship modelling over the past week or so. The first crown is mounted on the bulkhead.

post-2916-0-23370100-1463229726_thumb.jpg

Three more to go.

More to follow...........

The four crowns are now mounted. Now to consider the additional two ports on either side of the bulkhead and their relationship with the catheads and carved figures supporting them.

post-2916-0-98708100-1463234126_thumb.jpg

Just beautiful work, Bill.  Between you and Janos, the carving bar is set really high.    :)   Which is a good thing to aspire to. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for dropping by Mark and for your kind comments for Janos and myself.

Bill

While contemplating the arrangement and spacing of the catheads and whether or not to add two more ports to the bulkhead I put my attention to carving a head for one of the spaces below the fleur-de-lies.

The rough out of the carving.

post-2916-0-10336400-1463315031_thumb.jpg

More of the detail exposed.

post-2916-0-05687700-1463315084_thumb.jpg

Completed and ready for mounting.

post-2916-0-26898200-1463315358_thumb.jpg

More to follow................

The bulkhead with two of the four animal heads mounted below the cannon ports.

post-2916-0-26925200-1463321007_thumb.jpg

More to follow..........

Bill

The remaining two cat head carvings are now in place below the gun ports and it is time to move on to the ports at either side of the bulkhead along with the catheads and supporting sculptures.

post-2916-0-55626200-1463489664_thumb.jpg

As a result of a recent discussion with some other modellers, I have chosen to believe that the additional two ports shown at port and starboard location on the bulkhead in the Van de Velde sketch were possibly observation ports as there is a lot of anchor rigging directly in front of the ports from the catheads and it would seem that gunfire from a canon in these ports would not be possible. I intend to construct the catheads and surround these two ports with decorative carvings. I have marked the centre of the observation port openings in pencil.

More to follow...........

It is possible the two observation ports were intended to have guns, at least to be able to, since the tactic when the ship was new was to come in, make a big turn and get out, firing guns from both broadsides and all quarters as the ship turned.  When the ship was actually built, it may have become obvious that the anchors and rigging got in the way.

Do they have similar carvings and surrounds as the ports you have just done?  If so, they may originally have had the capability to mount guns.

It is possible the two observation ports were intended to have guns, at least to be able to, since the tactic when the ship was new was to come in, make a big turn and get out, firing guns from both broadsides and all quarters as the ship turned.  When the ship was actually built, it may have become obvious that the anchors and rigging got in the way.

Do they have similar carvings and surrounds as the ports you have just done?  If so, they may originally have had the capability to mount guns.

Thanks for your comments J. I will include three contemporary reference photos which show this area.

First, the Van de Velde sketch which clearly shows the port in question below the cathead. You will note that the ornamentation surrounding the port is not the same as the other ports due to the space taken by the cathead mounting and the Satyr carving below it.

post-2916-0-66892600-1463570636_thumb.jpg

Next is the Payne engraving which does not show this extra port.

post-2916-0-69576000-1463570682_thumb.jpg

And finally, I have included the painting from the Museum of Fine Arts Boston showing the starboard view of this area which is in keeping with the Payne engraving.

post-2916-0-54052300-1463570762_thumb.jpg

There lies the issue. The answer is not clear. The Payne engraving shows rigging lines in place from the cathead while the other two do not include the rigging.

Regards,

Bill

For some reason, I saw the start of your vessel on this site and it got lost in the crowd. Now, I am following your build on the ships of scale site and loving it. I too post on both sites. I am glad that you posted this on the ships of scale site so I could again appreciate your vessel. I could have improved my version if I had not lost your build. The pictures you have that I did not find would have answered a lot of the questions I had as I working on my model. Thanks for taking the time and caring enough to post on both sites.

Gary

Thanks for looking at my log Gary. When I want to follow a build log on either site I subscribe to the thread and receive notices whenever there is new content. Very convenient and I don't lose track of the thread.

Regards,

Bill

The cathead construction is underway with the slots being cut for the sheaves to fit in. 

post-2916-0-21979500-1463572340_thumb.jpg

More to follow.........

Interesting conundrum, Bill. Two out of three sources don't show this port. The VdV and Boston images look more accurately rendered than the Payne.... The more forward-pointing catheads of that era look as if they would be almost immediately above such a port, if it existed. My inclination would be to omit it. However, its's your model, your call!

Beautiful work again, Bill. It's nice to see the head of your model finally being populated!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Interesting conundrum, Bill. Two out of three sources don't show this port. The VdV and Boston images look more accurately rendered than the Payne.... The more forward-pointing catheads of that era look as if they would be almost immediately above such a port, if it existed. My inclination would be to omit it. However, its's your model, your call!

Beautiful work again, Bill. It's nice to see the head of your model finally being populated!

Thanks D. It should be noted that the perspective of the VdV sketch is somewhat suspect as the cathead comes towards you from an angled or curved bulkhead while the port seems to face forward. I now have spaces at each side of the bulkhead to support the placement of a port or I could just place some ornamentation there without the port. Decisions decisions!

Regards,

Bill