Sovereign of the Seas 1637 by modelshipwright (Bill Short) - Sergal - 1:78 - Port "as built", Starboard "as presented to King Charles I for approval"

Thanks for all the comments and likes.

Well, looks like life has got in the way of working in the shop. Kitchen renos and garden work have taken over. It is a little hot in the shop as it is on the second story and it has been quite hot lately. I hope to get back to it in a week or so.

Regards,

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

Will be waiting for when you get back to the shop, surprise that you don't have some type of AC in the shop.

There is AC but the room is in the roof of the house, a loft, and it gets mighty warm there. If I crank up the AC, the rest of the house freezes.

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

There is AC but the room is in the roof of the house, a loft, and it gets mighty warm there. If I crank up the AC, the rest of the house freezes.

Bill

That saves on ice for the G&T's.

• 2 years later...
i recently purchased the complete building plans at estate sale in so california, he was a dentist and donated most of his completed ship collection to a museum in Ventura, ca. plans- Dromedary Ship Modelers Center sovereign of the seas . jim 9494219456 for pictures and cost. jim

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2019 at 9:22 PM, jimbom said:
i recently purchased the complete building plans at estate sale in so california, he was a dentist and donated most of his completed ship collection to a museum in Ventura, ca. plans- Dromedary Ship Modelers Center sovereign of the seas . jim 9494219456 for pictures and cost. jim

I am familiar with that plan and have a copy of it.

bill

It may take a day or two to get that organized Chuck. Got to dig through photos etc.

Regards,

Bill

The following photos show the addition of the upper railing on the mizzen deck. It is fabricated from Mansonia, African Walnut, and is on a base of Boxwood.

image.png.b369fa1bbd3cb37db446a636e25e8dc0.png

image.png.c1cc9777d46696dbf6c46165d5932446.png

More to follow............

I finally got around to finishing the railing detail on the beakhead this morning. Three boxwood strips complete the enclosure of the beak area.

image.png.663ddd8774baccc5813c511259c401db.png

I fabricated strips of Boxwood to section off the sides of the beak head ready for the carvings that follow. This pic shows the starboard view. The port side is fitted with the same sections.

image.png.349d2ec0b41c4fbd30776ee9811a139b.png

More to follow.............

This photo shows a Boxwood blank being carved that will go between the beak and the main hull and cover up the joints currently showing in that location. It is on the port side and will have a twin for the starboard side.

image.png.90a0b907a5407f0c9ab40490dbfa7e86.png

This photo shows the completed carving mounted on the hull. It serves as an ending to the wales etc. The vertical grooves in the base of the carving were carved and then finish filed with a rifler file.

image.png.28e491158d1d3281b3e1ac6a54db5860.png

More to follow........

And here is the duplicate carving mounted on the starboard side.

image.png.c51f170326c3b670611edcdab4ec421e.png

As a diversion from carving, I moved to making grates for the deck openings. The first photo shows a jig for cutting the openings in a piece of boxwood. The imbedded strip in the plywood is the same thickness as the saw blade, 3/32" which relates to 2 1/2 " at 1"78 scale. The saw blade protrudes through the plywood jig. The depth of the cut is slightly deeper than 3/32". You start by making a cut with the block of wood against the guide strip as if it was a fence. Then saddle the strip with the first cut and make the second. Continue until you have cut all grooves required. Then rotate the piece 90 degrees and repeat the process. This creates a grid of tiny square protrusions.

This photo shows the jig with a block of boxwood in process.

image.png.17fa364f45204071a88001da2977cd63.png

More to follow..........

Bill:

Nice to see you back at it. Great work as usual. 

Russ

Magnificent craftsmanship! Your attention and creativity to detail is impressive and a exquisite example for myself to follow.

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

After creating the grid, I cut strips 3/32" wide and a little larger in height which will complete the grid formation. I lightly glued the bottom of the strip and layed it in the groove across the piece. Continue for all remaining groves. This is a very delicate operation as the tiny square protrusions are easily broken off if you are not careful. The piece with most of the strips in place.

image.png.3eb16f02e371a7eddb225ab87a3bd221.png

As the piece is thicker than the depth of the holes, it creates the illusion of holes going right through when the light hits it. All that remains is to sand down the top surface to the level of the protrusions and trim the edges.

image.png.45ea6b1962a1aab73596aa95e255dfc1.png

More to follow...........

The grate has now been sanded down and trimmed with edging and ready to mount on the deck. Now onto the next grating.

image.png.8a09f27cefdf33ee33f74c8e4ad00417.png

More to follow.........

The next grate is now completed after edging and sanding. This is the grate shown being fabricated above and is to be located on the Mizzen deck. The sanding must be done across or at 90 degrees to the inlaid strips to prevent the tiny square protrusions from breaking off. There is one protrusion that broke in the larger grate that I had to glue back in place. Being 1/32" square, it was not easy to get it back. I rubbed a very light coat of tung oil on the grate being careful not to let the oil get into the holes. It darkens the grate slightly.

image.png.57f59cb4519874f7a88f16c1c1a67c01.png

The trim pieces that make the transition from the hull to the beak are in place.

image.png.add50c316ba76f20145da379412e1cef.png

The mizzen deck grate is in place after trimming the edge with african walnut.

image.png.e71d372291a13c298f4c8c86791105b7.png

This photo shows the transition pieces between the hull and the beak from the bow.

image.png.bea98fb9923b5eae70ca80771bf0577b.png

More to follow.........

Next I decided to prepare a strip of boxwood to form the profile of sculptures on the sides of the hull separating sections that will contain more carvings. The profile is created by using a single edged razor blade and creating the desired profile in the blade so that when it is scraped along the boxwood strip, eventually you get the desired result.

This photo shows the blade on the strip so you can see the profile being scraped into it.

image.png.b83fe6a3080d35f7837544855a93a0c8.png

This shows one of the sculptures cut off on my table saw. Further finishing will be done to enhance the look of these pieces.

image.png.68c194b54a4f867f428cc1204e4ea23f.png

32 minutes ago, Dubz said:

Unfortunately the direction of your gratings is wrong 😞

It should go with the centerline of the ship (see the green line)

cheers

Dirk

Not sure I know what you mean? Could you explain it for me?

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks for the explanation Dirk. I should mention that the method I used when making these gratings is meant to simulate a real grating when viewing the model from a distance of about 3-4 feet at 1:78 scale and not to represent actual building practices of the period. A simulation only, if you get my meaning. If I was building at a bigger scale I would have built them differently.  The theme of my model is to present an artistic representation of the Sovereign from my minds eye. Thanks for catching that as it is an interesting point.

Bill

Edited by modelshipwright

This is one of the decorations with a little added carving detail.

image.png.bdf35f44c4d443eaaa3717be5da1f99c.png

Working away on the other remaining pieces showing six of these mounted on the port side.

image.png.ef60531ca65b81b590028a95cd89109c.png