HIPEXEC

USS Syren by Hipexec - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

The flight simulator in the background peaks ones interest, mirrors to check your six!

Hope the hands continue to improve.

Cheers, Harley

Posted (edited)

The only rule I have when it comes to model building, is what ever makes the job easier, faster and safer is my moto or creed :) I thoroughly believe in artist license or builders choice hahahaha. I have taken a belt sander to a ships hull when I could find someone to hold it.

Edited by mtdoramike

Well, it turns out the bandaged hands and tying ratlines don't mix! I'll have to wait or search for a project I can do.  :piratetongueor4:😠

13 hours ago, JesseLee said:

Glad it is getting better. Hope your healing continues with no problems.

Thanks, Jesse and Kevin :10_1_10:

On 8/27/2019 at 2:05 PM, tigerdvr said:

The flight simulator in the background peaks ones interest, mirrors to check your six!

Hope the hands continue to improve.

Cheers, Harley

Harley,

You've got good eyes. I built that simulator for my grandson, but he grew tired of flying it,  I never tire of flying (flew for 30 years in USMC and TWA)

8 hours ago, JesseLee said:

How are your hands Rich?

Slow but sure. They say 5-6 more months!

Thanks for asking.

Rich😠

I had to make mine with better wood. The wood supplied in this kit will never work for parts like this.

Edited by JesseLee

5 hours ago, JesseLee said:

I had to make mine with better wood. The wood supplied in this kit will never work for parts like this.

I'm trying to repair them but if I don't like the repair I'll make them new.

Rich, cut them free first, then apply some thin CA only to the area where you want to drill, let dry, then drill. The thin CA will hold the wood fibers together. I have used this trick in wood carving when I have to carve something like deer antlers on a figure.  

Edited by Jack12477

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

Rich, cut them free first, then apply some thin CA only to the area where you want to drill, let dry, then drill. The thin CA will hold the wood fibers together. I have used this trick in wood carving when I have to carve something like deer antlers on a figure.  

Thanks. Nice trick

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:03 PM, HIPEXEC said:

I'm building the spanker boom and gaff and instructions recommend to drill the yokes while still in the frame but the holes split anyway. This kit has inferior wood.

Happened with my kit parts as well.  I also made my own.  The wood was old and brittle, and even when I got the part out, they would snap with the slightest stress. 

I'm happy that I have a stash of leftover parts from other kits since most from this kit are unusable. 😜