USS Constitution by JSGerson - Model Shipways Kit No. MS2040

Dputxler, you can get the US Navy plans here:

https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/discover-learn/modeler-resources/

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

2 hours ago, dputzler said:

Where does one get U.S. Nave  plans for the ships boats?

54 minutes ago, JSGerson said:

Dputxler, you can get the US Navy plans here:

https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/discover-learn/modeler-resources/

Jon

Be careful what you wish for, @dputzler! LOL   Jon has ALL the resources! 👍

Speaking of which, though, Jon, been meaning to ask you... Have you had many of those plans from the USS Constitution Museum reprinted in larger formats at like Kinkos or other places?  Any issues with doing that?  I assume that makes them more "readable" and useful.

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                             Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin     Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways 

Gregg, well I don't have ALL the resources, but I do have a bunch😛

As for printing them out full size, I haven't done that as it is costly and inconvenient. I did have the kit's plans copied full size so I could mark them up, fold them in torturous ways, and if they get damaged, no worries.

I print out what I need on a regular inkjet printer on standard paper using PowerPoint. When I need to print to model scale, it's by trial and error because PowerPoint can't print to a given scale on command. Additionally, I may need to tape together multiple sheets to get the desired printed image, which I admit is a crude method. Most of the time I just zoom in and out on the computer screen. The US Navy plans have the actual full scale dimensions so it's just a matter of scaling down the numbers for a lot of things.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

This post shows more of the same. I added more spar deck beams, gun deck columns, both the white square cross section ones and the natural wood round ones, knee braces, and the main hatch framing support beams. You will notice that the starboard side is missing some beam sections. I realized that even though I did not add all the spar deck structure, viewing the gun deck was getting a bit obscure. To alleviate this a little, I made it look like the beams were cut out. However, I made this discission after I had installed three whole beams supporting the main hatch. The beams were cut, the leftover stubs were left in place. Where I intentionally installed partial beams, I added little stubs to make it appear they were cut after most of the picture were taken.

Additionally, you may have noticed that the beams under the main hatch do not run straight across. This is my solution to the problem I discussed in an earlier post about the structure of the main hatch. The laser cut grids making up the main hatch do not conform to any plan I’ve seen including the kit plans. In keeping with the idea of the cut-away look, the top surfaces of the structural beams and supports were not painted so it would look like the spar deck planking was removed revealing raw timber below. A side effect of this is where there will be planking and other things items attached to them, the glue works better on bare wood.

Some of the pictures below show the main hatch dry fitted in position

IMG_2696.JPG

IMG_2697.JPG

IMG_2698.JPG

IMG_2701.JPG

IMG_2707.JPG

IMG_2699.JPG

IMG_2700.JPG

IMG_2703.JPG

IMG_2704.JPG

IMG_2705.JPG

Just a quick update, as many of you know (or not), a major Cat 4 hurricane, Helene passed through Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee, just touching on western South Carolina this passed Thursday and Friday. I live in western South Carolina, a half hour drive to Augusta GA (home of the Masters Golf Tournament), So we got a good taste of the fury that storm packed. I was lucky, and lost power only for two days and had a little erosion damage. Some of my neighbors had more extensive damage to their property. So, I'm OK and am back in the shipyard.

Jon

23 minutes ago, JSGerson said:

Just a quick update, as many of you know (or not), a major Cat 4 hurricane, Helene passed through Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee, just touching on western South Carolina this passed Thursday and Friday. I live in western South Carolina, a half hour drive to Augusta GA (home of the Masters Golf Tournament), So we got a good taste of the fury that storm packed. I was lucky, and lost power only for two days and had a little erosion damage. Some of my neighbors had more extensive damage to their property. So, I'm OK and am back in the shipyard.

Jon

The damage, destruction, and loss of life we are seeing reported on the news is horrifying and so sad to see.  Comforting to hear that you and your family are safe, Jon.  

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                             Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin     Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Loss of life is worse than loss of properties as they are replaceable.

Glad to hear you and family are okay. A good friend lives in Florida and lost his home, but he is fine.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Glad to hear you are ok Jon.

Midshipman 3/c (Ret.) Bob

Current Build:      Model Shipways USS Constitution

Previous Builds:  Model Shipways Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Model Shipways Norwegian Sailing Pram

Model Shipways 18th Century Long Boat

On 10/2/2024 at 11:53 AM, JSGerson said:

So, I'm OK and am back in the shipyard.

Up here in Greer, most of the damage was caused by falling trees -- LOTS of falling trees! Fortunately for us, we live in a neighborhood built just five years ago, so there aren't any mature trees, except on the properties adjoining the neighborhood. A couple of those did come down and cause minor damage. Outside the neighborhood, it was a different story -- trees down everywhere, roads washed out, lots of downed power lines. There are still people without power a week after the storm. It's a mess!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Bf 109E-7/trop

CCoyle. glad your safe as well. I am surrounded by trees, lots of tall trees, but none fell near me. The ground was littered deep with small branches, leaves, and pine needles; however, a dozen or so trees on my street did come down. Nobody, as far as I know, no one was hurt in my area. There are still isolated pockets of power outages, and the stores are still restocking. But, the worst is over.

Take care, Jon

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Up here in Greer, most of the damage was caused by falling trees... There are still people without power a week after the storm. It's a mess!

1 hour ago, JSGerson said:

Nobody, as far as I know, no one was hurt in my area. There are still isolated pockets of power outages, and the stores are still restocking. But, the worst is over.

Take care, Jon

Chris & Jon - Relieved to hear that both of you are safe, albeit a ton of cleanup and repair is ahead for your communities.  

Gregg

• 2 weeks later...

Completing Hatchway Fabrication

I did not complete putting the finishing touches on some of the hatchways before, so I started with the stove pipe hatchway, it still required eyebolts, paint, and modification of the precast metal pipe and attachment of the spark suppressor:

IMG_2617.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

When I fabricated the spark suppressor, I did not realize at the time that the precast pipe was cast with a pseudo suppressor but the gap between it and the pipe was filled in solid, so it looked like part of the pipe. You can see, the pseudo plate is a lip at the end of the cast pipe opening. Therefore, I ground off the lip, hollowed out more of the pipe, and reduced the diameter of the spark plate I had created. The plate and pipe were then painted black.

IMG_2708.JPG

The next problem was how to attach the spark suppressor plate’s support rods onto the pipe? Obviously, I couldn’t use solder as it would end up as a hot puddle of metal. The gluing surface was very narrow, so what glue to use? I had three choices, white PVA, CA, or epoxy. Then I had a flash of inspiration from the actual pipe. I wouldn’t use glue directly but use eyebolts just like the actual stack to mechanically secure the rods. Two 1/32” eyebolts per side supporting the rods threaded through them. A touch of CA glue to secure the eye bolts into predrilled holes in the pipe and a touch of CA glue to secure the rods in the eyebolts. It worked like a charm.

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_2709.JPG

IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

According to the kit’s plans, “shot storage rack: Note all fwd. racks not installed in 1997.” Why, I don’t know. I wanted all the gun crews on my model to have something to load into their guns and shoot. Why should only the aft gun crews have all the fun? So, I installed all the shot racks including the ones omitted from1997. Once again as I did on the gun deck, used a black ball chain. I just sniped off the number of balls I needed off the chain as a unit and glued them into place. The racks themselves are implied as they are way too small to fabricate or see at scale.

IMG_2713.JPG

The bowsprit hatch was completed by carving the forward insert around the dowel that would eventually become bowsprit. It was then painted white and dry fitted into place. The unit was then glued to the deck. The dry fitting was necessary so the insert can be removed to allow the dowel to be fitted into the model as it is fabricated and adjusted to its final configuration. Once the bowsprit is secured into place, the insert will be glued in as well.

2022 - Avi02.jpg

IMG_2606.JPG

IMG_2714.JPG

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2716.JPG