USS Constitution by JSGerson - Model Shipways Kit No. MS2040

Dputxler, you can get the US Navy plans here:

https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/discover-learn/modeler-resources/

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

2 hours ago, dputzler said:

Where does one get U.S. Nave  plans for the ships boats?

54 minutes ago, JSGerson said:

Dputxler, you can get the US Navy plans here:

https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/discover-learn/modeler-resources/

Jon

Be careful what you wish for, @dputzler! LOL   Jon has ALL the resources! 👍

Speaking of which, though, Jon, been meaning to ask you... Have you had many of those plans from the USS Constitution Museum reprinted in larger formats at like Kinkos or other places?  Any issues with doing that?  I assume that makes them more "readable" and useful.

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                             Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin     Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways 

Gregg, well I don't have ALL the resources, but I do have a bunch😛

As for printing them out full size, I haven't done that as it is costly and inconvenient. I did have the kit's plans copied full size so I could mark them up, fold them in torturous ways, and if they get damaged, no worries.

I print out what I need on a regular inkjet printer on standard paper using PowerPoint. When I need to print to model scale, it's by trial and error because PowerPoint can't print to a given scale on command. Additionally, I may need to tape together multiple sheets to get the desired printed image, which I admit is a crude method. Most of the time I just zoom in and out on the computer screen. The US Navy plans have the actual full scale dimensions so it's just a matter of scaling down the numbers for a lot of things.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

This post shows more of the same. I added more spar deck beams, gun deck columns, both the white square cross section ones and the natural wood round ones, knee braces, and the main hatch framing support beams. You will notice that the starboard side is missing some beam sections. I realized that even though I did not add all the spar deck structure, viewing the gun deck was getting a bit obscure. To alleviate this a little, I made it look like the beams were cut out. However, I made this discission after I had installed three whole beams supporting the main hatch. The beams were cut, the leftover stubs were left in place. Where I intentionally installed partial beams, I added little stubs to make it appear they were cut after most of the picture were taken.

Additionally, you may have noticed that the beams under the main hatch do not run straight across. This is my solution to the problem I discussed in an earlier post about the structure of the main hatch. The laser cut grids making up the main hatch do not conform to any plan I’ve seen including the kit plans. In keeping with the idea of the cut-away look, the top surfaces of the structural beams and supports were not painted so it would look like the spar deck planking was removed revealing raw timber below. A side effect of this is where there will be planking and other things items attached to them, the glue works better on bare wood.

Some of the pictures below show the main hatch dry fitted in position

IMG_2696.JPG

IMG_2697.JPG

IMG_2698.JPG

IMG_2701.JPG

IMG_2707.JPG

IMG_2699.JPG

IMG_2700.JPG

IMG_2703.JPG

IMG_2704.JPG

IMG_2705.JPG