US Brig Syren by reklein - Model Shipways

Completed the blocking. Once blocking was done the slight curve to the BF was corrected. One problem was ,I kept breaking off the stantions. Part of this trouble was due to the excessively deep laser scoring of reference lines. Only one layer of ply was untouched. Anyways I hardened all the stations with CA and reattached On to the bow fillers and fairing.OOPS! forgot a filler block. These build logs are handy for spotting mistakes.

syren blocking done.jpg

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Let me join the party.  My Syren is calling me too!  Bill, I hope you have lots of with this build!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Bill, I thought you mentioned you didn't have time to start building the Syren until second week of June......

Ha at least I found your log and as you can see I have started mine.

I am glad you didn't have the same issue with warping and twist in the BF.

So, now we are waiting for our President of PSSM to get going with his Syren as well.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I somehow got inspired to start, and once I did I can't stop. We're traveling the first half of June so won't be much then. I'll start the  gunnel timbering today and see where we go from there what with yard work and getting the trailer ready to travel. So far no building board, I like to build "in the air" until I start deck work and rigging Etc.

Bill, in Idaho

7 minutes ago, reklein said:

I somehow got inspired to start, and once I did I can't stop. We're traveling the first half of June so won't be much then. I'll start the  gunnel timbering today and see where we go from there what with yard work and getting the trailer ready to travel. So far no building board, I like to build "in the air" until I start deck work and rigging Etc.

Your fast.  I'll be in the Idaho Owyhee Mountains the same time.  After the big fire a few years ago, and wet winter, my friends are reporting a spectacular wildflower display building. They are also reporting a big crop of Game Birds.

Starting the Model Shipways U.S. Brig Syren

Working on the Caldercraft HMS Snake

Completed Scratch Built of Russian Armed Merchant Ship Neva 1801-1805

Scratch Commercial Fishing Vessels

OK on the first pic, what have I done wrong? The template doesn't fit my model at all. So I guess it'll have to be a guide line. Second the below decks are planked. I used the minwax stain and pencil caulking. Works very nice. I found a nice big graphite pencil in my stash of artist supplies to make the job easy. I like to stain and paint late in the day so the project will be ready to resume in the morning.

100_8233.jpg

100_8234.jpg

Bill, in Idaho

Bill, you are one frame off from the bow, move the strip one frame forward and it will be better.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

1 minute ago, Nirvana said:

Bill, you are one frame off from the bow, move the strip one frame forward and it will be better.

Thats what I thought but then the stern looks like it is pretty well aligned.  Doesn't it?  Hard to tell with the camera angles.  

By the time I start my Syren I hope there are 20-30 of these blogs all working through the problems before I get there :D

Bill take a look at this picture and you are good.

592af90e305d6_billssyren.jpg.cbd14d38d395d768201c4315079eb6fd.jpg

Respectfully

I rechecked the patterns and both side patterns match the top view patterns  and the plan sheet. The bulkhead former does not match the plans or template. Not to worry though. Check your bulkhead former against you template. My plans may have been miscopied. Just have to be a guideline. Even the very first former is off from former #24. Gotta get the grass mowed will post again this eve.

Bill, in Idaho

Bill, my templates are off as well but when comparing to sheet 2, framing plan the BF is perfect.

If you have a printer with scanning feature use sheet 2 to make a copy for the pattern.

I am to do a trial and if it works I will post it for you.

Respectfully

• 3 weeks later...

OK , I think I have the gunnel framing finished. Instead of religiously trying to follow templates ,I referred to the text where he says to have the gunports evenly spaced and the sweep ports centered between them. Seemed to work out quite right. Visually it'll be hard to tell until the planking is on. I had a hard time keeping the stantions on and straight even with hardening the wood with CA. But I figure that all of them will be covered by planking so I made everything fit and made sure the gunports were square. Next is the stern framing which looks like it'll be fun. Nice to be back in the shop.

gunnel framing complete.jpg

Bill, in Idaho

Looks good.  I am currently just south of you. Exploring the high country of Hells Canyon between Council and Riggins.   What's with the rain?

Supposed to be nice on Sat. again David. Be sure to take in Whitebird days on Sat. You have to play horse poop bingo.. You but a piece of tapea and put your name on it and stick it on the street in Whitebird. If a horse poops on it during the parade you win half the money collected. The other half goes to the local school functions.

Bill, in Idaho

6 minutes ago, reklein said:

Supposed to be nice on Sat. again David. Be sure to take in Whitebird days on Sat. You have to play horse poop bingo.. You but a piece of tapea and put your name on it and stick it on the street in Whitebird. If a horse poops on it during the parade you win half the money collected. The other half goes to the local school functions.

Spotted some nice Elk, Mule Deer, and my first ever Blond/Cinnumin Black Bear.  Flying back to Paradise on Sunday. Then back to work on my Syren.

OK here are some poor photos of my stern framing. Chuck was right, very fragile. I'm just about ready to start a little planking.Lots and lots of small pieces of wood.Am using an exacto razor saw and miter box for most. For the gunnel blocks there are some 40 identical pieces for the gunport uprights those I cut on the scroll saw.

100_8239.jpg

100_8240.jpg

100_8241.jpg

Bill, in Idaho

Wow, you are moving right along.  I wonder if a person could use pieces of card stock on both sides of the stern to protect it from mishaps?  

Be careful working on that stern...I know from hard experience. It is very fragile. Your project looks great!

I have planned a slightly different approach.  Hearing how fragile the stern shapers seem to be, and how ham-handed I can be,  and since I have a pair of bulkhead formers and bulkheads (replacement for the plywood that originally was crumbling,  

IMG_1181.jpg.e131398a0c99c4d843ec7ace0dfb0d10.jpg

I decided to make some replacement stern shapers from hardwood.  It was also a good exercise making odd-shaped bits.  I printed the section of the templates for the stern shapers and glued them onto hardwood.  Some cherry and some Jatoba.

IMG_1653.jpg.a7623e9b8968d9cee13557ee7724f54a.jpg

I think they turned out pretty well!  And they are really strong.  (I wouldn't have done this if it were something that was going to need al lot of sanding!)  I made the C shaper 2twcie as hick to avoid having to glue 2 together.

IMG_1707.jpg.498e9d75660550c1ea4d24a6f5b45f55.jpg

I haven't used them yet so I don't really know if this is a "solution" or a new set of problems!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

I would have recommended  basswood as the outboard shapers need quite a bit of cutting back. Look ahead in the book to see how you get that nice rounded stern. Also be careful in your vertical alignment so you'll get that nice outward bulge that I missed.

Bill, in Idaho

Good things to know before I commit.  He replacement parts in from model expo are basswood.  I imagine the plywood ones in the 1st set I received would also be difficult to shape - though not as difficult as the hardwood.

In any event, Bill,  I will continue watching how the stern develops on your build.  Best of luck!

Doug

Heres my modern high tech solar and wind powered plank bender. Capable of six at a time. Planking has begun on the Syren. Mostly just building in the air one plank at a time. Using CA and kicker.

100_8243.jpg

100_8244.jpg

Bill, in Idaho