USF Constellation by DSiemens - Artesania Latina - 1/85th - Finishing Hull and Rigging

This build has a bit of a backstory to it.  I'm currently the Skipper for the Rocky Mountain Shipwrights an incredible ship modeling club in the Denver area.  I sometimes get calls from outside the club requesting help with models particularly fixing up old models.  I try to help them best I can and there's a couple of us that don't mind helping people with that sort of work.  Well I got a call from a lady that needed some help.  Her father was trying to complete a ship model but his hands had gotten to shaky.  I told her I'd come have a look.  So I go and meet this man and have a look at the ship.  He told me he had some family member's helping him out but they didn't have much time or knowledge.  He had wanted to get the model done by his 97th birthday and that was two weeks ago.  He was a marine and model builder though I think his expertise was in river boats.  He has a model in the Cincinnati library if any one is around there.  All the models he built he had either sold or were given away.  This was to be his last model and I suspect the only one to be passed down within his family.  Well my heart went out to him and I agreed to finish this model as soon as possible. 

So I took it home and started digging in.  It had a few problems to fix right off the bat.  The mast doublings were facing to the stern so I had to turn those around and the port holes were drilled in some cases just wide enough for the cannon and nothing more.  There's a lot of deck fittings missing.  So I've gone to work.  This build is a race against time.  He's 97 and I want him to be able to enjoy this model for as long as possible. 

0606172206.thumb.jpg.1b4253bed86aa34ee70006915ea182c5.jpg

Here she is after I got the masts in the right direction. 

I tried to cut the cannon ports with a small saw and a file but I risked tearing the planking apart.  So I went back to an old ship in bottle technique.  I framed the gun ports and painted the inside black.  It isn't as nice as open gun ports would be but it's nicer than torn up planking or no gun ports at all.   

0607172057.thumb.jpg.623d6164eec181630788e59e32896018.jpg

Daniel

You definitely have your work cut out for you and with a time constraint no less.  Now it is a JOB not a hobby.:(  I just finished this model about a year and a half ago.  It was tricky build if it was not done in the right order.

Tom

Yeah.  I'm seeing that.  There were a lot of steps missed or done incorrectly that I'm having to find creative ways to correct.  Like the gun ports.  If I were to venture a guess I'd say he built the hull which is done pretty well.  I understand he had family members who tried to help and that started at the deck furniture and masts.  These dont quiet have the same level of craftsmanship.  I could spend a lot of time redoing things but I don't have time.  At this point my mantra is, it doesn't have to be perfect it just needs to be done. 

I'm really debating what to do with the bowsprit.  I've got it partially rigged but the rigging the kit asks for is a little ridiculous.  This forum and my club has spoiled me as far as seeing whats realistic and whats not.  Fort it calls for a sprit sail.  In all the photos and drawings of this ship, 1797 and 1856 versions, they have never had a sprit sail.  My understanding is spritsails fell out of use with the invention of the jib in the early 18th century almost 100 years before this ship was built.  So...do I keep it as planned or change things up?  I'm still deciding but I'm curious about what every one thinks.  

hi Daniel!....just looked in here......surprised to see the genie has come out of the bottle?!?!?!  oh....I know.......your generosity is well known to me,  need not say more ;)   I looked at images of this vessel.......I only saw one or two pictures with a spirit sail.....and a few with just the yard.   I may be wrong,  but this vessel has some similarities to the Connie, and she had the yard.  you could follow that direction and still be in the ballpark.   she also had the martingale too...that will suffice as more than enough detail for the bow ;) 

I agree about the job being cut out for you.......the gun ports look to be the biggest problem.   if time is the issue,  and what others have done looks OK......then leave it as is.   repairs or revisions can be very time consuming.   I will follow you on your journey :) 

I see you Jolly Rogers in there ;)   what is that super looking hull against the wall?   a Cutty?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye yeah my projects appear to be piling up.  Quiet literally.  The other big ship is a Cutty Sark.  Some one came into the club a while ago and was giving away kit's to whom ever thought they would finish them.  I initially kept it with an idea of doing a club model.  One I could bring in and every one could work on here and there if they wanted.  No one really took that on so I've been piddling away at it here and there.  I've had a long going ship in bottle commission so it hasn't gotten a lot of attention. 

As far as the gun ports I do know what I'm doing with those.  The upper deck I can get the cannons free and out of the way and I've been able to file them square.  Go to do the forecastle yet but those are pretty much done.  The lower deck I framed and painted the inside of the framing black to make it appear to be go into a dark hull.  You can see a side by side above.  This has worked out rather well.  I have the port side done and it looks a lot better for it.  I'll have to get more photos posted tonight. 

I see what your saying about the yard.  That is helpful.  From what I'm seeing there's stay lines going through the yard so I'm guessing it was more used for stabilization then an actual sprit sail.  With the martingale lines going beneath it there's really no space to use it as an actual spritsail.  I wonder if the creators of the kit got in wrong in that way.  They do have stay lines going through the yard which I think would defeat the purpose of the spritsail because it wouldn't be able to be adjusted for the wind.  They also bring the martingale lines way up to make room for the sail which defeats the purpose of the martingale because in that configuration it doesn't keep the bowsprit from flexing upward.  I'm starting to think I should leave the sail off.  Rig the martingale as it should be going all the way back to the stem and include the yard as a stabilizer and not a spritsail.  In the long run I think this saves me time since I'm not attaching the sail and rigging lines.  What do you think? 

well......no.   I'm sure that if it was needed,  a spirit sail would be used.   but for the most part,  they relied on the studding sails to give them more speed.   exclude the running rigging for the sail and you should be good.   stay lines are OK....if I'm correct,  they will be attached to the hull using a dead eye and lanyards.   below deck gun ports......create boxes framed around the outer lip....cut the squared holes and install them as an insert {might save you some time}.   for the spar deck guns...if you can remove the cannons,  you'll have a better time of it.   framing them before you trim out the ports is a sound idea....might deter cracking....just keep a mind of the inner bulwarks {one can be seen in an earlier picture....did they do that?!?!?!} .    keep the blade sharp ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Well I kept the rigging basically as the plans dictate.  I found the stem juts out to far to do what I was thinking so I just went with it.  Got the spar built and in place just need to do the lanyards to the catheads.  Then the bowsprit will be pretty much done.  I'll leave the sail off the yard.  Even if there's technically room I dont think they would have used one.  Not with the stays and everythong else going on there.  There's not really room for it.   

149711115645978645219.jpg

Also gun ports are done on the port side.  14971113125941826801305.thumb.jpg.4cfc605956d5f4b69c533e3252825bb4.jpg

Thank you very much Popeye for your help.  Your expertise is always appreciated. 

Thanks Jim.  :)

Some updates.  Bow sprit is about done and standing rigging on the fore is well on it's way. 

0612170716.thumb.jpg.b6e4c73b5297b31889632a60982de84b.jpg

0612170716c.thumb.jpg.df68c8883ede75e3bbaeae011ff4dacf.jpg

0612170718.thumb.jpg.9f45f26086cfd1b212a0817590b6b495.jpg

You can see the little men lazing about.  I aught to put them to work. 

Also gun ports are done on the port side.  14971113125941826801305.thumb.jpg.4cfc605956d5f4b69c533e3252825bb4.jpg

Starboard ports are done.  And the rigging is moving along.   The bowsprit and fore mast standing rigging is almost done.  

0613172241a.thumb.jpg.7088ec1293b6d543770515d63299756f.jpg

0613172241b.thumb.jpg.e2ce4f07e6caf2c77c17aaf24aa0a758.jpg

0613172240.thumb.jpg.097eb37e763daa5ab1f01b915009d283.jpg

look'in good on the rigging so far Daniel.   it might be beneficial to do your stays first {main stays and mizzen stays}.    with the back stays and shrouds in place,  it might be harder to do them.  but hey,  with the medium you work in,  tight places are  BREEZE for you ;)    the lower gun ports look great.......are you gonna do anything with the upper gun ports?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Popeye.

I've thought about framing the upper gun ports but Im not sure,  I did manage to file the square so that much is good.  

As far as the stays go I figured Id do what I'm used to.  Standing first then running.  I'm not at all worked about tight spaces. ;)  I'm also doing it to adjust the masts.  They were glued together funny which makes them lean in all the wrong directions.  The rigging can go a long way to pull them straight again though.  So I do a couple back stays and then a fore stay and eventually get it all straightened out.

More rigging work done.  Not much more to do on the fore mast.  

0615172122a.jpg

0615172121a.jpg

0615172121.jpg

0615172122.jpg

0615172121b.jpg

looks really good!   I hafta agree with Jim.......but  then again,  I already know that :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Trying to get these little men too help out some.  

0618171931.jpg

0618171929.jpg

0618171931b.jpg

0618171932.jpg

0618171932a.jpg

0618171931a.jpg

0618171931c.jpg

0618171929_HDR.jpg

the bow looks so much better now.......standing rigging looks real good

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

On 6/18/2017 at 10:07 PM, Dziadeczek said:

I would attach those ladders more upright.

I agree.  Those were installed prior to when I took it on.  One of many mistakes made.  There's a whole list of things that could be fixed but for the sake of time I'm leaving them.

Popeye - you're to kind.  I guess its not bad for a first time building a big model and I am happy enough with it.  Problem is I've been on this forum to long and seen great models from people in my club so I know its not perfect.  The dead eyes could be more even.  I'm sure I'm doing the siezings wrong.  Since the dead eyes were attached to the hull before I started the chain plates aren't lined up correctly.  There is a little reason to the madness though.  Since the masts were so crooked I used the stays to straighten them out.  It worked pretty well but some dead eyes had to be tightened more than anticipated.  :/  

that's to be expected,  since your not going to anticipate all the mistakes that were made.  if you did that, you might as well do the total reno! ;)   I don't get some things done correctly either.....but I try...and that's the most important thing.   your doing alright........correcting some mistakes and making the adjustments for others.   you'll get her done soon enough,  and your efforts will shine through.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Daniel,

From where I sit, she's looking good.  I'm not a fan of what AL used for their plans, but it does make a fine looking ship and you're doing well trying to meet the owner's work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark.  I agree.  Its not a kit I'd ever do myself but I can give it my best shot.

Getting into some sails.  More pictures tomorrow.

0625171818c.jpg

0625171817a.jpg

0625171817.jpg

0621172318.jpg

0625171818b.jpg

0625171818a.jpg

your mak'in some swell progress on her Daniel :) looks great! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 4 weeks later...

If anything this ship is giving me a new appreciation for my small stuff.  Its one thing to glue on ratlines one at a time and a whole other to tie them one by one.

I asked the little man to help but he said he was to busy keeping watch on the bowsprit.  Didnt want it to get damaged he said.  Like he could do anything about it.   ;)

0724172123a.jpg

0724172124a.jpg

0724172124c.jpg

0724172124b.jpg

0724172124.jpg

0724172123a.jpg

0724172123b.jpg

She's coming along nicely Daniel. Looking good.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

nice progress Daniel..........nice touch with the sails.   they will distract from the other small problems you didn't fix.   as said,  you weren't going to fix them all ;)   look at the bright side......if you ever should put the moves on that Cutty,  you'll be primed and ready for her :)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Bob,

The hull that the model is based on is straight and no sheer. AL used the Constellation as a reference but that was before the restoration while it was still be touted as the "original".

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: