Le Soleil Royal by Nek0 - 1/72 - Marc Yeu

Hello little Julia, welcome to MSW. Pull up a highchair and enjoy yourself.......Marc, what a precious child.  

Congratulations, Marc!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Congratulations on the new lady, Marc.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Congratulations Marc!! May you, your wife and little Julia have a blessed and happy life! :)

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

• 2 months later...

Hello again Marc and welcome Julia!
Congratulations with your beautiful daughter to you Marc and your wife!
Now I feel ashamed I haven't checked your build log for so long and only see this until now.

Very understandable you weren't active last months/year, as it takes a lot of responsibility caring for such a new beautiful young life.

But I hope by now you have enough sleep again in the night :-).

I know I had not the first months with all of my three daughters...
Take your time and enjoy!
Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much for your messages ! :D

Julia is growing up and will turn 1 year in a few days, it's been a very busy year between the family and the Covid but I could resume the work on the model a few days ago and I ended the third deck panels. I won't give up !

Thank you for your support, I really appreciate it !

:)

Soleil Royal 786.JPG

Soleil Royal 789.JPG

Soleil Royal 790.JPG

Soleil Royal 792.JPG

Soleil Royal 794.JPG

Soleil Royal 796.JPG

Edited by Nek0

Great to see you back and that all is well.  Ship is looking great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Simply incredible. 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello, thank you for your comments ! I'm currently working on the guns so the next update will be in a few weeks I think. I'm not selling/giving my plans yet, I may give them when I have corrected numerous little errors here and there. It has been corrected on the model, and re-drawn partialy but all the corrections on all the plans hasn't been made so currently it's a mess ;)

Nonetheless, I just found out that Artesania latina made a Soleil Royal kit, and, in their Youtube add video, they took one of my drawings without asking me if I was ok... Sometimes, people just don't ask...! :D

12 minutes ago, Nek0 said:

I just found out that Artesania latina made a Soleil Royal kit, and, in their Youtube add video, they took one of my drawings without asking me if I was ok... Sometimes, people just don't ask...!

Not okay, bad form and all that. 

I confirm that I had very good contact with the Artesania Latina crew and they explained me how they used my drawing without knowing the source. They kindly offered me some tools as a compensation and I would like to publicly thank them for their reaction.

I hope to see soon some nice work on their kit on this forum !

:) 

On 9/19/2017 at 5:31 PM, moflea said:

In two or three words, can you tell me why Tanneron's model is false? I was always fascinated by that model (never saw it in real life though) and to me it looked like a real reference (after all, it's displayed in a naval museum).

I do not believe that the Tanneron model is "false".  It simply does not represent the first SR.  It is much closer to the second ship of that name t was built beginning in 1692.   In fact, the Tanneron model is also not complete given that he died while the model was under construction.  The infamous "hole in the knee of the head" bears testimony to this fact, as does the alleged lack of deck furniture.  Look at the Berain paintings and compare the different details of the decorative carvings. Even the quarter galleries are different in shape and detail. Count the gunports: the first ship carried 110 guns while the second carried 104.  The third ship is not in consideration as she was an 80-gun ship.

I saw the Tanneron model in Paris and was impressed by his attention to detail in other models, It was clear to me that had he been able to finish the model, it would have been fantastic.

Bill

Edited by Bill Morrison
To add details.

Overall, Bill, I agree with you that Tanneron’s model is more representative of SR2, however, it seems to me that Tanneron was attempting a composite of SR1 and SR2; the most notable features of 1669/70 are three open stern balconies, and fully open quarter galleries.  Stylistically, the shape of the QGs is more directly connected to what the shipyards were producing from the 1690s, onward.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

I agree to a point.  It is possible that some features of the older ship were carried over to the new.  But, we simply do not know since plans are lacking.  It is likewise possible that you are correct since Tanneron was working somewhat blindly as we are.  It makes for a fun discussion.

Bill

Agreed.  I can only guess at what some of Tanneron’s original sources were.  I strongly suspect, though, that SR 1670 was very similar in structure to the Monarque of 1668:

8C2C51A1-1095-4EA8-9F48-A02260EDE23F.jpeg.74262bc0dac66c93df4d8dd3aea9bca8.jpeg

Perhaps this is SR, 1670:

BC989B0D-8996-4E6D-A6F9-A72C211245AE.jpeg.9c1a2b88871570c3e2f0b470d733404a.jpeg

Or, perhaps this is SR 1670:

EF649C4D-9122-4B14-8567-1230C1BF1B4A.thumb.jpeg.781c8a94117ceeae4c90d1270ca19cc7.jpeg

There is no way of knowing until I can obtain better images of these portraits.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Marc,

I agree most emphatically!  It is an interesting point that I found perusing Les Vasseaux de Louis XIV that there seemed to be common features among most ships of the line similar to virtually every model of French naval ships of the period.  The drawings in that book are quite explicit about many features common to the war ships of the time.  Unfortunately, it is written in French.  I do not speak French (to my immense sorrow).  

Bill