T78 Norden by popeye the Sailor - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:30

yea Mark.....too bad I can't combine them together  :D  :D  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks John.......yea,  got a few more ideas to throw at her  ;) 

as mentioned,  I finally added the break water fenders to the bow.   a bit out of character for Billing's....usually they supply these as laser cut parts......these you make from scratch.   I had a pair from another model.......likely from the Mary Ann,  since I used the pair that they showed in the diagrams.  how this other pair got into the kit,  I'll never know,  but have a good idea of it.   I've built other models before that supplied parts that were intended for another version of the model.

5a9ead8f1e077_1.jpg.5c02a52d475d1afe9c67d3fb64cd1f23.jpg

5a9eada27ddb9_2.jpg.2ae2cae1dd81424aeae11b059103e73d.jpg

5a9eadab41e74_3.jpg.141e7c6bb6edfd57bbda7d661b319b81.jpg

then I worked on rigging up the main mast boom.   I added a stay for the boom......actually,  I should have rigged it to be a haul line,  but the gooseneck of the boom is a stationary fixture,  and only allows the boom to swing port or starboard.   the stay will aide in making the down haul pulleys taught.

5a9eaf4ff30a6_4.jpg.c91335be1cab00053b614790c4babb5e.jpg

5a9eaf5c4427c_5.jpg.7019ef2ab8e4137abc54ba3879a0919a.jpg

5a9eaf64c4e17_6.jpg.fd301e050b599927afb48a326d32a643.jpg

I also worked on the winch,  adding what would be considered the power wires.  once done,  I can add it to the model.  more on her soon.   sad thing to note, that my work schedule has changed.......I've gone from the 3 / 12 hour work week,  to a 4 / 10 hour work week...so I will be losing a day at play.  might be good...... ..might be bad.....I really don't know how all this will play out.  I have one more week of my old schedule,  and then I'm on the new one.   this might be short lived though......on Thursday,  I have to go take a test.......if I pass,  I'll be well on the road to a new job.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thanks John..I should have added those parts earlier,  when I did the cap rails.   had a bit of a hiccup today,  taking the admiral to her doctor's appointment.   good thing they had some up to date copies of fake news  :D  ;)   I've done a few more bit for the Norden......and I've even done a little on the T.D.

should have a couple of updated soon  :)     thanks to all for the likes.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Norden is looking very much the working boat now Denis - nice job.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

thanks Pat.....she'll look even more the part when I post the next update  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

looking good- as regards the boom- on all fishing boats i have seen there is normally a boom rest on the wheelhouse roof (i added this to my norden) for the boom to rest on. My dad worked on danish seiners and says the topping lift was hauled till the boom was clear, the sail set, then the boom was dropped back into the rest tightening the sail. The sails were to stop the boat rolling too much and damaging the fishing gear. The seiners were anchored in place while fishing.

Keith

thanks Keith......what your describing though would pertain more to the Mary Ann.   that model was set up that way.    this must be a smaller size vessel,  since the boom stops short of the pilot house,  and only having a goose neck with limited mobility.  it is fixed lower on the mast and would not rest level on the roof.  I really wish they would have based this model to a relative scale,  comparable to the Mary Ann or even the cux (they both are 1:33 scale}.   I didn't bother to do a proper topping lift rigging.....it should have a block near the top of the mast.  for the sails,  they did supply a block for the main sail,  but not for the aft {mizzen} sail.  I will add one there,  so the sail can be quickly raised and lowered.   there are a few fine details that were left out........I'm trying to add some of them,  along with a few of my own  {icky mae}.

I'm gonna put this on my to do list..........larger scale Norden {I still have the parts panels for the Mary Ann....I think}.   thanks for the good word and the suggestions,  but this boat is more a coaster than a seiner....not sure if it makes any difference.   I'm following the instructions,  which is pretty rare that I follow them close to the letter  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice work. This model is coming together very well. The extra deck details really a lot of character to the model. 

Russ

hello Russ.......thanks for the kind comment. :)    I would have posted my recent update earlier,  but I had to snow blow over a foot of snow :(   we got a good one this time......and there is another one we could see on Monday into Tuesday.   still more to go......and add ;)   

thanks for the like :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

so ........here is the update from the last couple of days.   I haven't been able to get to the table as of yet........somewhere between snow and looking up sub models,  took up my morning.   the update starts with finishing off thew winch and cementing it to the deck.

5aa165d863e91_1.jpg.40f9c7a79b4310b9fa8cdd7e8bd10422.jpg

5aa165e2383c9_2.jpg.3bb128d8e8f513973378169e84ddd311.jpg

I added the wiring on the side,  and ran it down to the base.   I then set to work making up the trays for the catch.   I was going to make a rack for them,  but due to tight quarters,  I opted not to.   I used the plastic fish inserts to assemble them.

5aa166863b9ab_3.jpg.dc284b526858f0b3913e70e86912df0b.jpg

sanding them down a bit will decrease the thickness of the sides.   I also set to making the rack for the other buoys.

5aa166df9b966_4.jpg.3b3606b76a9db100c37335b820c6a0bb.jpg

for another idea that I have brewing,  I added stringers to the shrouds,  lashed with thin black thread.

5aa1671f01cfc_5.jpg.5e4c56d3afee12d2944e3267e243fefa.jpg

after some more assembly,  the rack now looks like this.......

5aa1675573e2a_6.jpg.422cf38e369153b7066202be01216421.jpg

as for my bulbous,   bouncing,   baby buoys,   they were fit to be tied........or is that the other way around  ;) 

5aa167a84601a_7.jpg.6f6ddf9a6ec27b7d041251a5b178a4c0.jpg

I did decide to add a sort section of table behind the winch........just not enough room to do what I wanted to do.

5aa1681570e38_8.jpg.ebe46fe73b9fceee6daec3eddd6b7c65.jpg

the trays were lined on the bottom with .5 x 3 mm Annegre,  leaving slot spaces for drainage.  the rack was painted before it gets any hardware.

5aa1688392e8c_9.jpg.ba6c47763c9cabda68a5e56cf9a24acc.jpg

the trays were trimmed after they dried........still need to be sanded and painted.   the sails have been traced out......they need to be cut out now.  I'm debating to bring out the sewing machine,  or just draw the pleats on the other side,  and leave it at that.  it's only two sails......hmmmmmmm.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

it should pay off.......I did so much bumbling through this one  :D  :D   thanks for the good word John... I hope to get more done today :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

we set the dial for ludicrous speed,  and when I hit the table,  I made some decent progress :)   the snow removal chore was out of the way.......poor Gibbs couldn't get around too well,  the snow was too deep for 'em.   I'd say we got over a foot.......started yesterday afternoon and still snowing now {but not as hard}.   I started with the......what I think are......the communication lines.   billing's supplies these beads that are way too big {to me they are}.

5aa1ccac5c99b_1.jpg.7cb6b8615be616cb5a9a8d75f1d07b77.jpg

I bought a package of black beads a while ago.....I use them as parrel beads.  I decided to do this step differently and use these smaller size beads.

5aa1cd1c026e7_2.jpg.a3581a3a61b17a68b61fb852d7f9fa5c.jpg

looking through them,  I picked out eight of the better ones.   the instructions want you to tie them in series with the lines.  I simply threaded the line through the beads and will cement them in place afterwards.   the rack was fitted with it's hardware.....an eye bolt,  hook,  and chain......and cemented in place.  to make it a bit more interesting back there,  I rolled up one of the ladders,  and placed it behind the pilot house too.

5aa1ce19c82ed_3.jpg.f13474a22958c1771a3c2e3c10af9904.jpg

ya never know when someone will want to get off  ;)   as these were drying,  I began to string the communication lines.  it's kinds blurry,  but two can be seen on the starboard side line.

5aa1cebe773ed_4.jpg.3b583ad39cbf642ee3d5ad2ef4874848.jpg

this started on the roof of the pilot house......one is sitting down there too,  waiting to be cemented near the mast attachment point.  another ladder was tied to the port side cap rail.  it will be rolled up later and stowed.

5aa1cf61902cc_5.jpg.ecbde6cc8710bcc44119123f29e5666f.jpg

the catch trays are ready for paint,  which I did next...

5aa1cfc2471c2_6.jpg.a59c2f2efb3d88cefbd5f12e131071e3.jpg

after painting them,  the sails were cut out.

5aa1cff470788_7.jpg.d0c107f8b10412f657590e681fc00995.jpg

all of the round buoys were fitted with a small ring at the end of it's rope.....best I could do for a lanyard hook.  an eyelet was looped on one end of a length of thread,  and slip knotted around the mast.  this will be tied off on the starboard side spreader bar.   the rings will be strung onto the rope before it's tied off.  the buoys were cemented in the box.   this set up will allow the buoys to be taken from the rope harness and hooked to the net,  as it is let out.

5aa1d56838657_9.jpg.21bac9c540af8f9fca734b1846ec026e.jpg

yea.......we have a nonconformist in the bunch folks........but there are still a few others that still need a place.   more were added.

5aa1d5dd84256_10.jpg.1e3a6c4b3d072defee641b7844be0bee.jpg

meanwhile,  the comm lines were fully rigged,  and the beads were cemented in place.

5aa1d6d3cd149_11.jpg.8e842ba6413dc387ede45f794edcf03f.jpg

5aa1d6e044db7_12.jpg.c3d59502b71073d500a6143b8713d69a.jpg

as can be seen,  the trays are painted........they will be strewn about later.  the last thing I got to do,  before I was informed that I'd be making supper,  take out the trash,  Gibb's outing,  and sand the steps,  was load up the buoy rack and secure them with the chain.   the last extra round buoy was added back there too.

5aa1d7c7632bc_13.jpg.a961c19b801c16a405373606c60809d2.jpg

5aa1d7d3951f8_14.jpg.24e85d10e18adae48ac67cb05908bd93.jpg

from what I can see.......sails and life preservers are all that are left to do.  oh.........and one other thing  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thank you John.......I try my best  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Bob.........just as long as my thinking isn't too far out there  ;)     thanks to everyone for the likes  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Lovely work, and will look great with all of your other builds, do you have anything planned as a next build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

thanks Kevin!   I want to get the Thermopylae back on the table.   I have the Tumbl'in Dice on the other table.   so,  between the two,  should keep me busy for a while :)    I ordered a few more parts for the Trawler Syborn as well........I'm very close towards finishing that project.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

i keep looking at my Victory build, lol she longs for me to make my mind up on what to do with her

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I'll need to revisit that project.......can't recall where you left off.   one of these days,  you'll get the itch......or an idea,  and you'll jump back on her ;)   that's usually what happens to me.   sometimes,  merely giving though to an aspect of the build will trigger taking the cover off {I cover all my projects}.  those types of projects take most folks years to complete,  so your not to far off your time line { if you have one}.  it'll be like visiting an old friend,  when you do  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

i could not make a decision of the diorama that i had in my mind, and LOL i question of space 

HOBBY VICTORY (421).JPG

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

10 hours ago, Kevin said:

i keep looking at my Victory build, lol she longs for me to make my mind up on what to do with her

I have a good friend who has written a script for a Nelson Trafalger film to be called "Duty"  he is imspired by the Victory builds  and yours in inspiring.

Sorry to have hijacked your build dennis.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

You  are doing some amazing work on your trawler mate, she is looking so life like  keep up the grand work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Exceptional nice work Denis, with all the detail on that little boat.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

no problem :)  kind of an honor to have Kev's Vic come for a visit.   you fixed the bow spirit....didn't you Kevin?   I took a browse through the log.....you'll need to replace a few pictures.........yep.......splendid ship!  :) 

as for today,  all I've done,  was roll up the port ladder and stow it away,  and make up the aft sail {still need to refine it...I'm not gonna get too fussy over two sails}.

not much left to go  :)   thanks for the good word.......for following along.....and for all the likes !   enjoyed having you look'in in  ;)    "take care of those you call your own,  and keep good company"  {Queen}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

On 10/03/2018 at 1:40 AM, popeye the sailor said:

no problem :)  kind of an honor to have Kev's Vic come for a visit.   you fixed the bow spirit....didn't you Kevin?   I took a browse through the log.....you'll need to replace a few pictures.........yep.......splendid ship!  :) 

as for today,  all I've done,  was roll up the port ladder and stow it away,  and make up the aft sail {still need to refine it...I'm not gonna get too fussy over two sails}.

not much left to go  :)   thanks for the good word.......for following along.....and for all the likes !   enjoyed having you look'in in  ;)    "take care of those you call your own,  and keep good company"  {Queen}

sorry i did use an old photo

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

not to worry........I read that you had fixed it  :)   the rigging so far looks very good.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: