I picked up some maple and I was wondering if anyone has worked with this.If so what was your results.It is a white wood with very little grain.I am thinking of using it for the frames on a scratch build.

Thanks Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

IMO.. Maple is a great furniture wood so I would imagine it would be good for models too. There are variations of maples; hard, soft, curly, figured, spalted, and birdseye to name a few and all except the very softest are strong and beautiful to work with. Machines well, sands well and finishes well too. I think it's a good choice and should make a good strong frame.

Randy

Edited by lamarvalley

Larry,

I have seen it used for framing and decking. Just watch what type maple you get, needs to be hard maple and straight grained. The curly or fiqured will not do well or look right (imo)

I have some a friend gave me that I am going to use for some of the decking and maybe the deckbeams or knees on the triton cross section.

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

Maple works well for modeling. machines and sands well, holds sharp edges, and can be worked to a finish like glass if desired. The more highly figured pieces-- curly and birdseye-- are excellent for use in bases, but it's best to use straight grained stock for the model itself.

Mike

In progress: nothing
Completed:
Midwest Chesapeake Bay flattie
scratchbuilt Grand Banks dory

Young Modeler 1:100 turtle ship

This was the morning when father, mending one hole in the thermos-flask, made three

--Dylan Thomas

The only maple I've dealt with for ship modeling is silver maple for planks.  Slightly off-white with a very fine and straight grain.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Larry,

I am using Maple for decking on my current build.  I've attached a picture of how it turned out for me.  It was purchased from Hobbymill.

post-55-0-55967700-1366752749_thumb.jpg

Happy modeling,

Len

Current build: HMS Bellerophon semi-scratch from plans of Victory Models HMS Vanguard 

Drydock:  MS Constitution

Completed builds: MS AVS, scratch built Syren, Victory models HMS Fly

• 2 months later...

I made some dead-eyes from maple (rest of parquet)

Edit:

mistake. Ash, not maple. Sorry. (My english ...)

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

• 3 weeks later...

maple is a great wood but very hard on hand tools. sharpen them often. I would recommend rock or sugar maple as opposed to birdseye or tiger maple. although the grain is much prettier for those, they are prone to tearout as the grain is very figured. ive built a lot of furniture with maple and its probably my favorite wood so using it for a deck would look great

current build : model shipways willie bennett

" Never make a promise that you can't keep , a man's word is his honor" 

Scott I Pollack

I'm using Maple for my deck planking on my Triton X Section. I don't know which type of maple it is , but it's a very nice wood to work with. I got mine from an old maple chair and ran it through the rip saw with a 80 - 100 tooth blade. Soooo smooth it almost doesn't need sanding. Looks great also. 

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

• 2 months later...

Hi Larry, prior posts are good, that is, maple is a great wood for frames and decks, Portia used it, I have used it (for frames) as have others.  Either hard or soft maple works well.  Since the Acer genus contains about 150 species, the type of maple you get will have wide variations in colors. In Europe, maple is known as sycamore which is very different from American sycamore.  Maples grow in the Nothern hemishere so some form of maple is available to most of us.

Maple is easy to work but requires sharp tools.  I am not aware of any maples picking up silica during growth so your edge tools should not suffer.  (Teaks and rosewoods usually have silica but these woods are not recommended for model work.)   Maple glues OK but is usually difficult to stain; it will take paint.

Don't use figured maple and do not use spalted.  Spalted is decayed and highly figured.  Maple requires predrilling, can be bent but tends to be brittle.  I use other woods for hull planking, woods with better bending properties (perhaps I should try some planking with maple).  Decking with maple looks great, as does holly.  Holly is very expensive lately though. 

Keep us posted on your progress. 

Duffer

Now you have heard it from a man that works with wood all the time, he does know what he is saying. But it all comes down to you as the builder, you are the BOSS and if you like it then do it. But like I said "Duffer" does know wood. Keep us posted and more pictures.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)