Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

all of the kits I've done have been......of course,  there are a few parts that need to be done scratch.   mostly deck fittings though.

good to see the masts fitted in place........and the nice weather you have to show her  ;)  looking sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Matti

I'm still following in the background. Amazing work and I really like your outdoor shots. The flag looks superb but everything on your model does too!

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Question about the mast wrappings. You said paper soaked with CA glue. Do you wrap the paper on the mast & carefully apply the CA? As it soaks in does it spread to the mast where you don't want it?

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Ok, thanks!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Still hectic at my job but I've done some work on the model.

The main mast is now mounted and I also made two more tops. The details on the smaleest one is much reworked to fit and get more in scale. I also noticecd the problem Karl mentioned in his Vasa thread about the squared hole being to small so I widened it a little and will also rework the mizzen mast a little to make it work.

post-3739-0-73282700-1400959148_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-63276600-1400959157_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-73035100-1400959163_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-56806800-1400959169_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-44642600-1400959177_thumb.jpg

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Have I said already that I love the look u gave to this ship? Great work, Matti - Masts just gave her the serious look of a sailing ship. :P

Great work mate B)  B) I love the outdoor shots and the characteristic 'vasa' sloping top on the mainmast.I also aren't getting much build time in as I now have two jobs :huh:  :huh:  :huh: .I am plodding away when I get chance.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

tops look great.......nice to see her being masted......she's going to be tall ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Matti, Nice work on the masting, it looks fantastic . I realy like the photo looking at the bow. ( nice shot )

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Matti

the more I see of your Vasa the more I think you are an artist. The hull is so close to the imagination one has of an old ships hull... like it goes through the harbour next moment... And all the rest too...

Best wishes

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Hi Matti,

Been a while since I last checked in mate and boy, it's unbelievable, you could almost be looking at a real ship on a slipway.

She's looking absolutely superb mate, very well done.

Note to me," check in more often"

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Matti,

Your mast platforms are so perfect. Great work. 

MIchael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hello Matti

Fellow country-man here, but we've better keep it in English.

I just recently discovered this site. Always been interested in model building, but mostly airplanes. However, I built Corels HMS Unicorn many years ago. And I started with Corel's Wasa and almost built the hull, when I realised that there were too many inaccuracies compared with the real ship, so I lost interest. But now I've retired (pensionär) and will have lot of time. I want to build Wasa, which always fascinated me. And I have an excellent idea: I will rebuild the hull, but with a Billing Boats model. Then I will have a double version of all the rigging stuff and the sculptures: Corel and BB.

Your ship is Amazing! I have spent two days going through your blogg, and really enjoyed it!!

Some questions:

1.What colour would the hull of Wasa have been when she freshly built made her short journey? Some fresh tar?? The 1/10 model hull might be inaccurate in colour; it is fresh oak. And the deck too, was that coated with tar??

I saw that you used acrylic paint, which I suppose can be diluted with water. I have made a lot of oil-paintings, and there are watersoluble oilpaint avalable today. But the drying time would be a negative factor.

2. What kind of colours did you use for the sculptures? Plastic might be a problem for some types of colour.

3. I suppose you have varnished the ship a couple of times. What did you use? Some matt or satin varnish I guess.

Välkommen! It will be really interesting to see your model, and perhaps it will be a hybrid of the two kits.

1.  When googling pictures of newly tarred boats they seem to differ some in shade. I looked at how Batavia and Götheborg looked when they where new. I have toned the colors down as I wanted to make the colors blend, look harmonic and in scale. When painting models (or paintings) I try to get natural colors; in this case I wanted it to look like dried blood, earth, old bone and so on.

I use acrylic model paint. Mostly Vallejo. Since you're a swede, the cheap paint at Panduro hobby works well also but they have less variaty of colors though. I'm used to mix my colors to get control and acrylics are perfect for it. I stoped using oil paints long ago as I prefer this look and also how easy and fast it is to work with. A major plus on a big paint job like a polychrome Vasa. All parts are painted in shades and weathered so a short drying time is great.

I found the hull to be the most complicated part of the paint job to get right. I used a mixture of stain (bets) to get the nuanse I wanted. Then acrylics. Pastel powder. A coat of flat acrylic varnish to seal the powder once in a while. Also acrylic washes. Gentle sanding was done between the coats.  

2. I use the same acrylics as above. No primer is needed imo, you want as few coats as possible to keep the details. (The brass parts is another story though as you need to sand or steel wool it and then use a good primer on it, if you want to paint them with acrylics.)

3. I try to avoid varnish to get the look I want. I only used it to make the pastel powder stick and to hide glossy CA glue seams. I use satin flat dilluted acrylic varnish.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Thanks Matti

First of all I've got to find the boat in some Swedish Hobby shop. It seems to be sold out in many shops. And I will have to update my Wasa library with the recent books by Fred Hocker. Landströms book already ordered.

How did you manage the forming and bending of the planks in the hull?

This worries me a bit as there is only one layer and thus you have only one chance. And I suppose one can not use woodfilling (spackel), because then it will be problems with  staining (betsning) and painting.

I have seen som device like a tong which is flat on one side and triangular on the other, which could be used forbending/ shaping the planks. Has anyone experience with that? 

A lot of treenails and ironbolts were used in building Wasan. Some model builders have tried to get that in the hull too, which looks good. But what would the diameter be of the nailheads? And they should be blackish, not brass 

Furthermore I have to make a buildingplace, shifting some heavy desks and tables between rooms. It is very good to have all the stuff on the table ready, so you can work on it now and then. But a cat and a very curious kitten might be problems.

After painting in oil I am interested in pigments, Have a small booklet, "Wasa bekänner färg" ("Wasa admits it's colours") which deals with how they revealed the colours. But I suppose it's covered in books. The red colour seems to be mainly hematit (an iron ore), which I think give Falu rödfärg it's colour. I used Allmogerött from Panduro  on my first Corel-hull, and it is very much like your red.

I will pester you and everyone with questions whenever I start building.

Edited by TomJonas

Good idea to start with those books, they will be a great help and inspiration for you.

After shaping the planks I put them in hot water for a while, then put them in place with pins. The obechi planks are soft and this worked for me. I used wood glue for planking as it gave me plenty of time to adjust. I've seen people building the bb with doubleplanking so you can go that route.

Member Michael, md1400cs builds his Corel with nails on the hull so have a look at his build.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti!

I'm running out of new ways to say how much I like your ship and admire your skills! Whenever you add new details, the overall effect is much greater than the sum of the pieces. Your Wasan is already more captivating to look at than the 1/10th imho. I can't imagine yet how much cooler this will become with ropes. Amazing work!

I haven't had any luck finding Landstom's book. Is it only printed in the Swedish language?

Best wishes!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

NAZGÛL, congratulations, outstanding work for this complex and difficult model ...

My model is coming soon. Now I have to get some stuff from the Hobby shop (Clas Ohlson) and make a jig for my building. They have a lot of things and I think I have figured out how to make it. I suppose some sort of Dremel-tool will be needed, but I hardly ned that fancy stuff, they have cheaper variants.

I was thinking about the ironbolts in the hull. The brass nails are definitely wrong colour, but the dimension is OK. So the nails would be perfect with the right colour (I hope there are some in the Billing Boats box).
And I found a way to make bronzed or blackened brass in a book about modelshipbuilding. Substances called Brass Black, Brass Brown, Pewter Black and so on could be used. Could be used for all things made of brass, like cannons for example.

I found it here:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1167-using-blacken-it/

Then there's the issue of making treenails in the hull and deckplanking. Round toothpicks perhaps?

By the way, are the planks on the deck in an accurate scale? They look a bit wide, but my Eyes could be wrong. And how should the caulking be made? A fairly soft pencil seems to be the easiest way.

I think you stated in a previous post that the planks were put there at random without a regular pattern.

Had a look at stains. Ljus valnöt (light walnut) might be a good ground for the hull, perhaps with a coat of diluted grayish Acrylic. And sanding in between. Have to experiment here.

The deck also need some staining, light oak?

http://www.herdins.se/sv/betser/herdins-akta-bets__28

Edited by TomJonas

Thanks MarisStella! Tom, to me the deck planks looks ok in size. Buy some different nuanses of stain and mix to get the look you want. I didn't caulk the deck planks but there are much info on this site about methods. I didn't stain the deck as I wanted it to look untreated; I used acrylic washes to make the planks look different to eachother and alive. You have many options in what look you want on your model.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa