Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Glad to hear you have managed a little build time mate.Your masts are coming on well,with some great detailing B)  B) .There is certainly a lot more work involved in these than one would expect at first glance.Your model is developing a wonderful 'organic' look to the colours and I love the contrast with lighter shades on the deck and masting B)  B)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

The masts look great, Matti.  Did you change your avatar recently and I missed it? 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Those masts look great Matti, fantastic colour and those outside pics show her off to a tee.

Your thought process and skill are a great combination mate, well done.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I know what you mean mate, they tend to get a bit wider at some point, tends to make life a bit more awkward.

She's a beautiful ship though.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Looks great Matti, nice job on the bowsprit mast

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hey all! I have started to plan for the next steps.

One thing was deciding the look of the deadeyes. This is the look I want: Heartshaped and quite wonky and irregular in shape.

post-3739-0-74142500-1403019136_thumb.jpg

I ended up just sanding the round ones in the kit to imitate that shape. I also tried to make the metal parts holding some of them, the kit suggests rope on these ones also, but I want metal ones.

This is how far I am doing a test version:

post-3739-0-56568300-1403019190_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-60256800-1403019244_thumb.jpg

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

your test looks Good Matti, nice work

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

I think your right  Matti, It should blend in with the Hull nicely, Looks like you have it figured out

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Boy, that looks real good Matti..... nice job.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Looks good, Matti.  The only concern I would have is the split opening at the top.  The stress of the shrouds and lanyards might cause the deadeyes to pop loose.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

perhaps you could fashion them,  so the split is trapped in the chain plate.....let the wood hold it closed.   I like your idea of the irregular dead eyes.....history never depicted that they were totally round  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Matti,

Nice adaptation should look very nice.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I have been thinking about the almost triangular deadeyes too.

Good, now you've showed that it is possible to sand the blocks with a good result. 

I studied your excellent sculptures that you made in wood.

But what about clay? There are clay for children which you bake in the oven. Probably easier to sculpture, though I have no idea if it is good enough for small sculptures.

But this would perhaps be too unorthodox and almost like cheating?

Many thanks guys! 

Popeye I'll see if I can get it strong enough with the above aproach, but your idea is clever and I'll keep it in mind. About the shape, the 1:10 model has them to sharp at the edges to look right to my eye, they also look to perfect and without that wonky hand made look of the original..

Tom, I have tried it and in my opinion it's as easy or actually easier to just carve it in wood. Getting a good result in clay is pretty hard at this scale. I't would also break easy I think.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Hola Matti.

Your deadeyes are really nice, and I agree that using CA glue could be sufficient to hold them.  Another possibility is trying with small soldering point to fix the wires in place.

Saludos, Karl

Matti, your Deadeye looks great..

Very similar to this one, though:

post-8919-0-29560600-1403126813_thumb.jpg

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Cheers mate, the whole rigging still feels hard to grasp, but I'll try to just do it one step at a time.

Oh, I forgot. I ordered a showcase and it arrived. I was planning for building one, but figured I want to put that time and energy into the actual model. I will paint it though to get the look I want though.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa