Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Great job on them, Matti, as for the entire ship till now. Love this "unclean" look u gave to your ship. Many Vasa reproductions have that clean look so artificial and distant from the ship itself. Yours is really a great one.

Looks great Matti, nice job on the carvings

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Fabulous work mate B)  B) I wish you all the best with the stringy bits,but there is more than enough help on here should you need it ;) Looks like it could be Sovereign of the Seas for the next build,she will give you plenty of sculptures to go at :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Beautiful work and you've achieved a rather large milepost.   Congratulations on a job well done.   Ah.. rigging and masting next?  You'll do fine if you approach it like you've approached everything else.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ok, the BB mast instruction is actually better then the other, but it's still a lot of thinking before getting into action. I hope to be able to leave the plans and look at reference as soon as possible as thats the way I like to build.

Does this setup look right?

And could anyone just give the english words for the masts? I've written red letters.

post-3739-0-64116600-1398945861_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Jan, Thanks for the run through of the masts, I mixed them up with the swedish names all the time... I plan to start the masts and basics. Hopefully Vasa II comes before I get to the next steps.

Thanks Lawrence I'm getting a lot of inspiration from your rigging!

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

now your getting into the good stuff..... this is what will make the hull, a ship ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks Matti.....yea, I know I should get back to her. I started to, but I got off on the wrong foot...so I undid what I did. now to start over. I've got many pictures of her and bookmarked a slew of sites. too bad that there aren't too many builds of her going on. I was looking at the corel version of the ship....I like the billing's version better. you've brought her very close to the original....kudos!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Matti,

Damitol!  There is no "LOVE IT" button! 

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

I believe they still do......there are a few discrepancies with it though. the number of galley / stern windows and the aft stairs are the two most prevalent ones. I was looking at the log last night.....I'm missing more pictures that I originally thought......I need to go through the whole log :( it is a nice kit though, and to bash it is very easy to do.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey all, done some work on the masts.

I think I'm starting to get the way they are constructed. First reshaping and fitting them to see that I got them ok: 

post-3739-0-34896800-1399135635_thumb.jpg

The mainmast and the bowsprit on the real ship was made from several parts and I wanted mine to look like they are too: 

post-3739-0-84054300-1399135773_thumb.jpg

Some mild washes to try and get it to look realistic. I will do more work on their finish later on.

post-3739-0-96593000-1399135955_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-00828000-1399135959_thumb.jpg

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Awesome Matti, Fantastic job on the authenticity of this fine Ship. I llike all the details that you have done

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

looking good Matti ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Matti,

Mast are looking very nice. Very good start ...

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hey Chris thanks for your input. I have ordered natural colored rope and plan to stain it. From what I've heard here are no evidence of tar on the ropes on the real ship so I will not go black, but I want them to blend well with tarred look on the hull so some blending should be needed. I want to see the rope and experiment with it before making any descisions. I guess it will boil down to what gives balance to the overall look.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa