Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Thanks guys! Nope no dog Nigel and hopefully my cat doesn't get her paws on it. ;)

Mark, BB is one hinge short and has none of the iron straps at the top where it connects to the horizontal pole. But the basic shape is good so I'm happy with it .

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL
post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Its those little details that matter most...but on a ship of your Wasan 1628's caliber you must make everything remarkable as the ship itself has so much detail. Plus, you've raised the bar so much higher Matti with your weathering details.

I love how you ride the razors-edge so often, the true personality of the builder really shows in your work.
It's still hard to believe at times that this is your first wood ship. There's no telling where your journey will lead, but I look forward to seeing it and appreciate your sharing your techniques.

Your outside photography inspired me to take the DSotM outside yesterday for a photo shoot. 1/2 a world away and I thought of you as I took pictures. :)

Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care
Leave but don't leave me
Look around and chose your own ground
For long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be....

Wow, thanks guys, really happy you like it!

Keith, I'm still amazed what you managed to do in small scale detailing. Thanks for your kind words. Pictures outside not only gives nice backgrounds and light, tt's also a great way to see how the paintjob works.

Cheers Nigel, I use regular paper soaked in CA glue. It works great for thin details like these and it's shapeable before turning really hard. The surface is great for looking like iron after painting it. I try to keep the details small and thin and I find tis method to work well for that. It takes some practice to get the right amount of glue, and mounting the detail quick enough though. When used to it you get great controle, The shafts are simple brass rods in a nice scale in the right lenght.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

that's quite a method for those hinges Matti,....... very nicely done , the rudder looks just great!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Great great job Matti! Every step you do is a masterpiece. I like what you did with the gunports. I may copy that look in my R.L. They add a sense of life and reality.  :)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I agree. I like it when someone takes the time to think about how you would have seen things in reality instead of a picture perfect pose. Kind of like seeing someone buried in a suit & tie & you never saw them wear clothes like that. It's sort of a false representation. Love the work you are doing!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thanks guys your nice comments, they give energy to building her!

The rudder is in place and all left to do on the whole stern now is the hanging lion. First pics of the real one I took earlier:

post-3739-0-19864000-1398596283_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-49192500-1398596353_thumb.jpg

And how mine turned out. The rudder was on of those things that changed the whole look, well at least for me.

post-3739-0-78991900-1398596407_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-66551600-1398596418_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-04362500-1398596427_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-33647600-1398596438_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-67591700-1398596447_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-14279400-1398596457_thumb.jpg

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Thanks! Yeah thin CA, glue one side and you have a few seconds before it soaks in (it turns grey).

I dont cut the lenght before the part is in place. That gives me a long piece of paper to hold and then just place the glued end in place and cut it with an exactoknife or scissors. Gives great controle.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

More superb photograpy, I love that 3rd one down with the full stern port side showing, It really gives a sense of the sheer-line and tumblehome which give the Wasan her elegant beauty.

I've read that that shape may have been part of her demise as the King said to make her bigger after the keel was laid and the modifications threw her center of mass upward, as the framing futtocks weren't wide enough and concessions had to be made mid-build. That and she was running low on ballast as they left and attempted the salute, which was enough to roll her with the cannon ports wide open. Regardless of the engineering faults, it is what makes her lines so nice to look at. I find the reality of the ships stories, myths and legends so fascinating, It show that just like us, they struggled and that ultimately ship construction is a human endeavor.

Hi Matti, Amazing work Beautiful job, Great details I love the pics Keep it up

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks Keith and Pete!

Keith I definately share your fascination about the ships histories. The struggle, guesses and deigns by gut feel of early shipbuilding compaired to todays computer generated perfect products is truly fascinating. And it is what makes the early ships and other products so much beautyful and alive. Actually it is a whidespread myth that Gustav Adolf changed Vasas design in the middle of constrution. He did change his mind before Master Hübertsson started the build though, after a third of the swedish fleet got destroyed after a storm near Riga, he changed the order from one big and one small vessels to two medium sized ships. These two ships became Vasa and her sister Äpplet (the apple); Vasa is the same size that was ordered. Äpplet was very similar to Vasa from all we know, but was widened one meter. That made her stable enough to be in a long service for 30 years! She was even considered for another rebuild before sunken at Oxdjupet outside of Stockholm. One meter was the difference between success and failure. Hübertsson also constructed the ship Tre Kronor before Vasa and that ship was such a good sailor that Gustav Adolf chosed her as his flagship when the fleet went to war against the catholics in Germany later so Hübertsson must have been a good shipbuilder.

I'd say the reason Vasa sunk was that her construction was new to both Hübertsson and swedish shipbuilding, something like a prototype for how the Swedish ships where going to be built later on. But all timbers to allow for the cannons made her top heavy and unstable. Captain Hansons decision to keep her gunports open after knowing she was unstable is, in my opinion, a strange one as they never got to test her before sending her on her first mission and he knew she did not pass the stability test. I think a strong fear of superiors and a faith in a higher power protecting her was a big part of the decisions made for Vasa.

Captain Hanson where found innocent and was put in charge of salvaging her.

I hope I didn't mix up any facts now...

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

I often get asked, by foreign visitors and suchlike, (because I always bring 'em to the Vasa museum) - why did she go down? The Only answer I can give is: weight distribution.
Not enough beam for ballast.
Superstructure too heavy.
Perhaps the Dutch shipwright paradigm wasn't the optimal one for Baltic waters? (Other ships, presumably build in the same style did do do rather well, though).

Yeah,  the open gun ports are interesting. If I've done my homework right, that wasn't something you you usually did.

"If you scratch my back, I'll scratch build yours."

Hola,

Indeed the Vasa story is outstanding! I remember you (Matti) passed the direction of the Swedish TV where you could see the story on film. Unfortunately you can not do it anymore in that channel but on Youtube it is possible to see the same movie in Swedish or French. Either way and even without understanding the language the movie is very good.

Saludos, Karl

Edited by Karleop

Thank you Farbror Fartyg, still giggle when I see your name (Uncle Ship).

Karl, yeah it's a great film. Sorry but I feel awkward about having a link to a pirate version posted in my thread so if you could remove the link I'd appreciate it. I know I'm old fashioned about stuff like that.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti, Thank you for the History of this fine vessel, it is very intresting to know the story behind the boat

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks Pete! There is a lot of history to read if you are interested in her story.

Two books I can recommend is Warship Vasa by Fred Hocker. It's both about the ship and the history of the days she was built. Very good allround book with many great pictures. Fred Hocker is head of research in the museum and therefore the book is a great source of knowledge and is both in depht yet a pleasure to read.

Vasa.jpg

The other is Björn Landströms book The royal warship Vasa. It's written in the 80-ies and we know today some of the facts in the book to be wrong (like blue and gold Vasa, or Gustav Adolf changing the pland during the build). But Landströms drawings and indepht studies in how the ships where built is a huge inspiration to read.

41u3evHf02L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

There are many more books but these are great starters and look at the times she was built.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti, Thank you I will look into those books, Fasinating subject and a intresting history

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Some wonderful pics of your fabulous model mate in the gallery B)  B)  B)  B)  B) Great work!I won't post anything other than a like on there,because if you delete old posts when you upload new ones,the comments don't make sense ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

I finished the small sculptures for the rudder. I used the BB lion as except his head looking straight up is pretty good. I reshaped the legs and removed the long tail to get that rather cute teddybear shape as can be seen on the 1:10 model. BB didn't include the mascaron with his tounge out and I really wanted that character on the ship so I carved him out of pear wood.

FIrst the one on the 1:10 at the museum:

post-3739-0-99981400-1398857452_thumb.jpg

And here are mine:

post-3739-0-65896600-1398857566_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-43872600-1398857571_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-16088100-1398857602_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-94756000-1398857650_thumb.jpg

It was first after finishing them it occured to me that I just made the last planned sculptures for this model. It's a mixed feeling as I really enjoy the sculptures. The stern is also finished now.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa