HMS Victory by Patrick Haw - Caldercraft - Scale 1/72

Thanks Nick, Glenn, Sjors, David, and Lawrence.  You're right David, in retrospect it might have been easier to build the whole beakhead structure off the ship and then install a la Yon.  Too late now and I think it's going ok.  I really am enjoying fitting out the quarter deck and like doing these one-off features.  It'll be back to repetitive stuff soon enough, and I'm sure you'll remind me how many clove hitches there are to tie for the ratlines!

Patrick

You're doing a fine job there Patrick. What I can't get over is how immaculately clean you manage to keep your ship. The First Lieutenant must be working the men extra hard!

Sounds like a great idea Patrick, but have you read the MSDS for this stuff?  It looks particularly nasty - I hope you're taking suitable precautions including ventilation and eye/skin protection.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update.  In between doing other (non-Victory) things I've been working on the beakhead bulk head and building the quarterdeck guns.  Finished with the beakhead bulkhead I think...perhaps some touching up to do. Fairly pleased with the result.  You'll notice that my roundhouses don't have the ports in them yet.  I painted and then glazed the ports with Micro Glaze and as I was going to fit one of them it made a desperate escape attempt and launched itself from the work bench, never to be seen again...well not yet anyway.  I'm still looking for it!

Patrick

post-470-0-34396800-1396633442_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-18960300-1396633452_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-64263500-1396633460_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-70343200-1396633469_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-63325900-1396633570_thumb.jpg

Excellent work once again.

My shipyard has just had a major clean as it returning back to its secondary task of being a bedroom when our youngest son comes home tonight for a visit; I'm hoping I can steel and hour or two this weekend to start to fit the port side gun port without lids lining linings.

Keep up the good work and keep posting your pictures as they are an inspiration to the inexperienced modeller such as myself.

Glenn (UK)

Thanks David, Glenn, and Sjors.  Your comments and encouragement mean a lot and it's a pleasure to be in the company of such good model builders as yourselves. 

Glenn, for an "inexperienced modeller" you're doing a fantastic job with your Victory.  Keep it up and I will be following your progress.

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...

Not really an update, but I have a question for my fellow Caldercraft Victory builders.  I've made all the quarterdeck guns and carronades but have decided not to fix and rig them yet, but to wait and work on the bows and stern before doing so.  I've started on the bows and dry-fitting the bow curved rails and the hair bracket and lower bow cheek rails (above and below the hawse holes).  While the instructions say to fit the hawse bolsters  against the lower bow cheek rail, they make no mention of what else is fitted between the hair brackets and lower bow cheek rails.  It's obvious from the manual photos and everone else's build logs that the space between the hair bracket and lower bow cheek rails is planked with something, but the manual doesn't mention it at all.  So, what is it?

Thanks for any help.

Patrick

Patrick.. even though I am a novice ...maybe a suggestion here.   When dry fitting as you suggest, in those tight area's I wonder if one should not tie a safety line to the item your working with.  Is it possible for you to locate this ladder via a flexible light or a mini type flexible telescope and retrieve it that way??  I am about to order the 1.72 scale Victory..so I am very interested in these builds.. errors and good parts too.

Thanks..

"Woody"

PS.. I was also a machinist, and have woodworking skills.. other than that, this is the first build, and perhaps my last as well.

HMS Victory 1804 Caldercraft scale 1.72  (not 1.75) Build start, May 1, 2014.

Hello Woody, and thanks for visiting my log.  You're right about having some sort of "safety net" when dry fitting or installing the fiddly bits that can disappear. The ladder though is gone, gone, gone, somewhere on the middle gun deck and irretrievable. I made a new companionway ladder and took extra care when fitting it.  It's solidly glued in place now!

Good luck when you start your Victory build.  Please start a log so we can follow your progress.  There are plenty of Victory experts here to help you if you get stuck!  Good luck!

Patrick

Hello Patrick...Thanks for the words of cheer and support on the HMS Victory 1.72 build.  I will rely on this group heavily in the future.  The HMS Victory 1.72 will arrive in my UPS Express port sometime today. :-)  And due to the 7 days of rain, my building port is not ready yet.  Today I hope to finish my spray painting of the storage base, and with luck moved to my computer room for assembly.  My building itch is getting scratched, and my enduring wife has fallen into acceptance mode.  Whew.  Relief.

Its a short move to the outdoors for any sanding details (maybe) as well as a small vacuum will be nearby should I need to do dirty stuff in the room. :-)

I will be doing a written work day by work day log of the build, as well as photos (only if it goes well) of the progress. :-)

Best to you on the rest of your build.  I will be watching and reviewing your past progress.

"Woody"

HMS Victory 1804 Caldercraft scale 1.72  (not 1.75) Build start, May 1, 2014.

• 1 month later...

I have just worked my way through the 20 pages of your amazing log and I am not sure if I am dreading or revelling in the pending arival of my Victory.  I have almost finished the Billing Nordcap and i am very pleased with the result so I decided for better or worse to invest in a major modelling project. I am delighted to find your site and I hope to be able to refer to it constantly as the need arises.  Many thanks for sharing your knowledge. I will see if I can keep a build log just in case.

Just as an aside many years ago I was in Portsmouth with two friends on busines. Our plans were cancelled so we went to the dockyard and we were all gazing in awe at the stern planking when a navy officer heard us discussing how hard it must have been to build. He turned out to be the Officer of the Day, and invited us on board when the ship closed. We spent a very interesting time with a private tour of the ship, even stepping over the barriers in Nelsons cabin,  and a few too many rums in the ward room. Fancy me now looking at dealing with those three dimensional curved planks!!!

Wish me luck

Thank you Peter for your kind words.  I haven't posted lately, but still been working away on the ship.  Will post some pictures of my (slow) progress soon.  Good luck with your Victory and I'll look forward to seeing your build log.

Patrick

very nice build Patrick,

I enjoy your Progress...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Ok The kit arived and I am in awe!  However I have been busy reading the books, looking at plans, the JoTiKa web site and the build logs so all is becoming clear!!!!!

I am just finishing my Billing Nordkap before laying the keel on Victory.

I have lots of thoughts going on pending a start but one has propted a question - on rigging. I feel the white rigging looks wrong. Its is too white. Most ropes I have seen on ships are not bright white. I tried weak tea & coffee on the Nordkap which results in a slight dirty look which I think looks more realistic but I wondered what the experts think. Also the rope are too stiff and arte not heavy enough to drape naturally. The standing rigging is not a problem as it is tight but what do you do about running rigging etc which is supposed to hang in a graceful curve.

:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Help.

I am confused, I am shaping the bulkheads before planking the hull.

I have marked the bearding line and see that the back edge of the keel needs to be 2mm and the keel forward of the bearding line is left full thickness, 5mm ply. Do I file the keel only front to back so the angle on the line of the keel is shallow but the angle higher up the keel post line is steeper?

The photos on the kit manufacturers web site seem to show the keel on the stern post line full thickness and the first planking in place. This suggests the keel has not been shaped.

Any guidancewould be appriciated.

In the meantime i will trawl the buld logs

Thanks

Hi Peter,

Some of the pictures are gone ,that's correct.

There was something going on with a update from the server.

So at all the logs on that time there are no pictures anymore.

A lot of builders has putting them back when they have those pictures on the PC.

I'll just ask it for you......

Patrick my friend.....

Will you please post back the missing pictures from your build log ?

It is a guide for a lot of builders who also want to build the Victory from Caldecraft.

And it is such a great log that we want to see all of it !

Thanks my friend  :D  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hello Peter and Sjors.

I haven't posted anything for ages, but am making progress on Victory and will post new pictures soon.  In the meantime I checked and there are 31 pictures in my log that have fone missing.  So I will start to repost them.  Just the pictures I'm afraid, not explanation of what's going on, but I hipe whoever is interested will be able to slot them into where they went missing from and make some sense of it.  This will take a few posts.

Patrick

post-470-0-97680000-1406382985_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-52395600-1406382995_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-30409300-1406383014_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-88156400-1406383030_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-47047300-1406383045_thumb.jpg

This is the last post of the missing pictures.  All 31 of them are now back here on my log.  Apologies to those who'd already seen them and moved on, but I hope they are helpful to anyone who was unable to see them before.  Although I haven't posted anything new lately, I am about finished with the bow, have installed the poop deck and am closing in on finishing the quarter galleries and stern fascia.  Will take some pics and post soon...promise!

Patrick

post-470-0-12307200-1406383596_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-54317400-1406383611_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-02393000-1406383635_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-32661300-1406383645_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-37704800-1406383656_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-56370700-1406383676_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-50627100-1406383696_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-60476900-1406383711_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-06856400-1406383732_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-40046400-1406383746_thumb.jpg

looking through them - it brings back all the good times (and bad) in building mine

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat