HMS Victory by Patrick Haw - Caldercraft - Scale 1/72

Thanks Kevin, Lawrence, Sjors and Joe.  Still trying to decide if I want to start coppering and then stop when I run out of tiles, or if I should put the middle and upper wales on now while I wait for the new copper tiles to arrive.

Patrick

lol as it is the wales that created (showed) up  the error, i would get them out of the way, 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks Per-Olof. 

Kevin, I decided to dp the remainder of the wales first but went out into the shipyard this morning and have a very painful back spasm which is making it impossible to stand there and do any work today.  I'm medicated too, which makes playing around with precise measurements and sharp knives not a very good idea!

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Birthday my friend

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Happy Birthday Patrick, treat yourself to something nice and have a great day.

:champagne:

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

• 3 weeks later...

Well that took forever!  The waterline rehabilitation and recoppering is complete.  A lot of time spent removing old glue and prepping the surface for re-coppering up to the new waterline.  Then I had to remove all the polyuethane coating I'd sprayed onto the original copper, polish the bottom to get a consistent finish, and then re-spray with polyurethane.  All wales are on now too.

Amazing to me that nowhere in the plan sheets is there anywhere that shows the positioning of the yellow/black bands.  All they give you is four crappy photos in the manual to work from.  Thanks to studying photos of the real ship and everybody else's build logs, I think I've got it pretty close.  More pics to come soon.

Patrick

post-470-0-98897900-1382112226_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-94970400-1382112239_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-87207200-1382112258_thumb.jpg

and dosn't she look great

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Greetings Patrick

You have done a cracking job on the copper plates, and the whole build looks really good. Those four photos you mention really are pathetic, I have had it mentioned to me a few times. Keep up your excellent work. I have just finished my ratlines and heading for the the bowsprit!!!! Approximately 2800 clove hitches , WHOOPS!!!! Sorry . DAVID

Very nice Patrick. I'll bet you're glad now that you took the time and effort to fix that waterline. :)

As I mentioned in a previous post. it's amazing that Caldercraft doesn't include in the plan sheets a drawing showing the exact placement of the yellow/black bands, you just get four very poor quality and disjointed photographs in the manual. And those potos were taken of the completed model with much of the detail of the paintwork obscured by head rails, gun port lids, chains, etc.  I spent a lot of time poring over photos of the actual ship as well of many of the other fine Victory builds in here to make my best shot at replicating the "Nelson chequer".  Again, much of the detail on pictures of the actual ship are obscured, especially at the bows, so being able to look at other Victory builders' work in progress before the addition of head rails, etc. was invaluable.  Even then, everybody has their own slight differences on the exact location of the yellow/black bands.

One thing that helped me is realizing that the ship is actually black with yellow bands, not yellow with black bands.  Of course we all start off with a yellow hull because it's easier to paint the black on over the yellow, but once I focused on the location of the yellow bands, it became a bit easier for me. I used Admiralty Paints Matt (Metal) Black (AP9106W) rather than the recommended Dull Black (AP9105W) because I don't like the sheen on the Dull Black, and it's my ship!

So, here is my version of the Nelson chequer.  I'm happy with the result and even happier that she's now starting to look like Victory, rather than a mess of wood, glue and filler!

Next up, lining the gun ports.

Patrick

post-470-0-34207200-1382797399_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-34508100-1382797409_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-28138400-1382797455_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-63146700-1382797468_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-89849600-1382797483_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-27946500-1382797500_thumb.jpg

post-470-0-84848000-1382797511_thumb.jpg

Hi Patrick...

I decided to visit your site and to see how you were coming along.  Looks to me that you have everything under control.  The hull looks terrific and the lines look perfect.  I agree with you about the manual and instructions.  As you progress further you will see that the manual leaves a lot to be desired.  If it weren't for the wonderful people on this site i'd be stuck someplace and probably be doing something else rather than building this kit.  Keep up your great work and stay in touch.  Regards,
jerry

Hello Patrick

What a cracking job you have made of those bands. And alongside the coppering the ship looks really smart, and the paintwork looks very smooth. You must be very happy about the way this is coming along. I still have not finished that last shroud, I could not rescue the deadeyes and lost some in the carpet., so have had to order some. They are so small 2.5mm. If you order any gear I would order a few spares. Yes Patrick it looks great DAVID

very nice indeed, all your hard work with now pay dividends with the final result

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Patrick,

Really coming along. Beautiful hull work. A pleasure to follow along.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Enjoyable and clean build, love it :-)

Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

She looks great Patrick. I read somewhere that the black/yellow bands don't follow the line of the gunports exactly, but hey, it's your ship so you get to decide (particularly noting the lack of instructions).

Very nice Patrick,

When ever the sunshine is coming back over here, I will do the same  :D  :D  :D  :D

If I can found the room to put them outside  :P

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Thanks everybody for your comments and compliments. If it wasn't for so many of your build logs and inspiration I wouldn't have a clue, so pat yourselves on the back.

Grant, you're right, the band's don't exactly follow the lines of the gun ports. It's quite subtle, but the lines do vary in their relationship to the gun ports and the wales. Thanks for your comments and continuing support.

Patrick

Hi Patrick

If you wouldn't mind offering a word of advice I am having trouble with pattern 272.. If you look at my log the pictures should be self explanitory; the pattern does not want to sit against bulkheads 1,2 &3 properly. Cannot achive the proper curve.The pattern is not glued just pinned in place. Not sure how to correct it.

Eric

Eric,

I posted a response and some pictures in your log.  I ran into similar problems and the advice offered by others on your build log is correct.  And don't forget that sandpaper and wood filler are your friends underneath the second planking!

Patrick

Patrick, Just getting around to catching up on all the "Victory" logs. Yours is a standout with great painting and coppering. If that is your standard, it will be sheer joy to watch it unfold. Cheers, Gil

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72