HMS Victory by Patrick Haw - Caldercraft - Scale 1/72

8 hours ago, Kevin said:

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE , yr back

Kevin!!!!!!  Glad to be back my friend.  Still getting the shipyard in order, the fun bit is ordering new stuff...lighting, tools, fun stuff!  Will post something when I have it!

A question, since I've been away for a while...is it possible to reply directly to a post someone makes on my blog?  Maybe I'm getting old, but I don't see a "Reply" button on posts people make on my log.  All I seem able to do is quote the message and respond to that.  

Edited by Patrick Haw

7 hours ago, Patrick Haw said:

A question, since I've been away for a while...is it possible to reply directly to a post someone makes on my blog?  Maybe I'm getting old, but I don't see a "Reply" button on posts people make on my log.  All I seem able to do is quote the message and respond to that.  

only by the quote button as you did with my post, or multiple quotes in one post or private message

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 2 weeks later...

Not a huge amount of progress to report.  I've spent some time getting the shipyard back into some sort of shape and am waiting on a shipment from Cornwall Model Boats so I can get on with and complete the quarterdeck...I think CMB must have shipped the stuff in some slab-sided, Dutch-built lugger as it's taking forever!  Someone should invent a flying machine you could put parcels in and send them across the seas!

Spent a lot of time on clean up/repairs of work already done.  It's amazing how stuff un-glues itself sitting in bubble wrap for 3 years!  I did get the stern and quarter galleries done with the panels between the windows and I got the rudder chains installed...so it's some progress!

Patrick

Victorty 5.jpg

Victory 4.jpg

Victory 2.jpg

and looks very nice as well

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 3 weeks later...

Not a whole lot of progress, but a little.  I'm scheduled for rotator cuff surgery in a couple of weeks so thrying to get as much outdoor stuff done as I can...before I can't!

I finished the last two quarterdeck canons and started playing around with gun port lids.  I didn't mount the forward-most canon in the cabin, so that one is closed.  So we have a closed one, a half door one, and an open one!

So much to do, but finally my supplies arrived from CMBSo I'm ready to get a move on with the finishing the quarterdeck.  First up is the main companionway which anyone who's gone through my build log will know has been my nemesis!.  Lost ladders, broken pillars, etc.  Hope to have it done in a couple of days!

Patrick

Victory 213.jpg

Victory 212.jpg

14 hours ago, Wallace said:

Good luck with that surgery sir. That will hold you up for a while I would imagine. Hope all goes well. 

Thank you.  I had the same surgery on the same shoulder a year ago, so I know what lies ahead!  Maybe I can do some off-ship stuff that doesn't need me to move my shoulder too much.  Maybe ship's boats?

Patrick

same here. best of luck on the upcoming surgery.

mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Well I did it!  I finally vanquished the dragon and am now the proud owner of a completed (and sturdy) main companionway.  Put it together, took it apart, put it together again a few times until I'm finally happy with it!  Will try to get the waist ladders and stanchions in before surgery!

For those yet to build the main companionway I'd strongly advise you to build the entire thing off the ship and then install it as a unit as others have done...it'd be a whole lot easier!

Victory 220.jpg

Edited by Patrick Haw

9 hours ago, Wallace said:

Duly noted Patrick. You did a fine job on it. That finish looks great, what did you treat the wood with (and, in case I missed the info earlier in the build, was that the wood supplied with the kit or did you scratch build it)?

Thanks Mark,

The wood, stairs, and balusters are supplied with the kit.  You have to build the stairs from the parts supplied.  The railings and hand rails are made from 1.5 mm x 1.5 mm walnut that you need to reduce to 1 mm x 1 mm. The balusters are (I think) 16mm that you need to reduce to 14.75 mm and square the rounded edges.  So basically you have to build the companionway yourself from the wood and balusters supplied in the kit.  I finished it with walnut stain and a coat of clear satin varnish.  A digital caliper is invaluable for measuring and cutting the railings.

My companionway is not the best I've seen but after several attempts at it I'm pleased with the result.

Patrick

Some progress today.  Got the forward waist ladders in place, along with waist stanchions and hand ropes.  The hand ropes will be tightened up once connected to the aft waist ladders.  Close up pictures really show the need for a good dusting and paint touch-up!!

Patrick

Victory 302.jpg

Victory 301.jpg

Greeting Patrick  

Four years on and still no dam dust !!!!!!! Welcome back. I have only just returned with my Diana. Well there’s not a lot to say is there?? It’s all been said.

Simply Brilliant.  Only one concern, slow down a bit, don’t rush it!!

Best regards DAVID

Hi Mark,

I've got the canned air spray and it works.  Trouble is that after sitting in mothballs for a few years some of that dust takes some shifting!  I use a medium soft paint brush to stir up the ingrained dust and then blow it away!

Patrick

I got all the waist ladders in and rigged.  Pretty pleased, although some touch up and finishing to do.  I'm happy and feel like I'm closing in on finishing the quarter deck.  Poop ladder hand rails still to finish but I have the wooden hand rails already done so it's just a question of installation.

Victory 306.jpg

Victory 305.jpg

all the best my friend. all the best

mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

• 1 year later...

catching up with old friends, where are you Patrick?

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

• 1 year later...

Well, it has been a long, long time. My resolution to get back to Victory lapsed for a couple of years and it stayed wrapped in plastic.  In June this year I had a sort of epiphany moment following a life-threatening illness and surgery and I resolved to get back to the build...and to finish it!  I've been working on it almost every day since July and am closing in on finishing the hull and just need to to finish the gun port lids, then it'll be on to masts and rigging.  A few pictures of where it stands right now...and more to come soon!

20210928_153231_resized.jpg

WIN_20211005_10_03_46_Pro.jpg

20210928_153310_resized.jpg

WIN_20211005_10_02_21_Pro.jpg

WIN_20211005_10_02_59_Pro.jpg

and so very nice to see her back

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Great to see you and your lovely model back Patrick. Sorry to hear of the health issues but glad you’ve made it back to the bench.

Progress from the last couple of days. Port side middle gun deck port lids are all installed. I started out with the gun port lids building one at a time, then 3 at a time, now I'm juggling 8 at a time and it goes much quicker. As is always the case with the repetitive jobs on the build, you start of shaky and get better as you go along. When you finally get good at it, you've pretty much finished the job and don't need those skills any more!

Patrick

WIN_20211006_15_53_32_Pro.jpg

WIN_20211006_15_53_12_Pro.jpg

WIN_20211006_15_52_58_Pro.jpg

And there he is again.

Hello stranger....

Nice build you have there.

My seat has a lot of dust zo cleaning and we can go further where we are the last time 2 1/2 years ago......

But welcome back!

We grow...in more ways than one.  Just for laughs here's a picture of my entire workshop/workbench when I started this project so long ago, followed by a couple of more pics of what it looks like today. I need a bigger garage!  Mind you, when I see some other builders' custom-built workshops I salivate...and then I think of Gil Middleton who built his amazing Victory on a table top in a condominium!

Patrick

post-470-0-74259700-1361128018_thumb.jpg

WIN_20211008_14_18_18_Pro.jpg

WIN_20211008_14_20_25_Panorama.jpg

Well, we're moving along now with gun port lids. I now have 15 of them under various stages of assembly/painting. Once these are finished and installed I only have seven more to build...whoopee! As each lid is custom-built and fitted to its respective gun port (to allow for building up wales and slight variations in size) I number them and then place them on sticky side up masking tape so they don't fly away or get mixed up once they're painted inside and out. I use the sticky side up masking tape on the painting bench too so the lids don't get blown away by air pressure from the air brush!

Patrick

WIN_20211008_15_24_50_Pro.jpg

WIN_20211005_14_07_16_Pro.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing posted lately, but I've been busy working on gun ports and finally have finished them all.  As always, there's touch up here and there to do, but I think I'm pretty much finished with the hull now and can move on. Started tapering the bowsprit today!

Gunports Stbd.jpg

Guns port 1.jpg

Guns port 2.jpg

Guns stbd.jpg

Edited by Patrick Haw
Added picture

Splendid work Patrick  - really really nice.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 3 weeks later...