RMS Titanic by CKNavy - Academy - Scale 1:400 – PLASTIC - Commission Build

For years now, I have been thinking about building R.M.S. Titanic. Just like many other people, I have always had a keen interest in her history. By moving through this build, I am looking forward to gaining even more information about this amazing piece of machinery and how she helped shape our history going forward.

Just recently, the opportunity came upon me to do so. Last Sunday I woke up made, my coffee and breakfast sat down in the living room and proceeded to figure out what I was going to do for the day. While sitting there I received a message from a colleague of mine in my model club. He asked if I would be interested in building a ship for someone. I was intrigued about this notion, as this would be my first commission build, so I replied to his message and said yes I would. He put me in touch with the person and the next thing I know is I now have a 1/400 scale model of R.M.S. Titanic in my shop.

This build will include many firsts for me. My first ship of this scale, first time doing PE and First-time laying wood veneer.

I hope everyone enjoys the build as I go along, and I will be open to any comments or suggestions as we move through.

Thanks,

Craig K

20190318_105127.jpg

I was just commenting to a coworker last week about how Titanic's sisters are largely forgotten -- even though they both had longer and far more successful careers!

Good luck on your project!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I’m looking forward to this! I just don’t get tired of seeing folks’ Titanic builds. Encountering the Titanic story at a young age inspired my trajectory towards my current career in Naval Architecture, so it’s very near-and-dear. 

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

To start things off I have decided that I would build a dry dock to support the hull of ship as the build is in progress. By doing this, I am thinking that I will be able to use different types of jigs (Mainly handmade) to help support my hands during the build so I get the best effects that I can.

20190317_205838.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Referring to steps one, two and three of the build instructions I have decided to start the build by installing the cross braces in the hull and the propeller shaft covers on the starboard and port side. I decided I would do this first and then move on to assembling the fore deck so that later on in the build I do not place the deck on the hull without the braces in place. While doing this I noticed a mold line along the center of the hull from the stern to the bow that will need to be sanded before priming. 1873024808_Instructionsstep123.thumb.jpg.92fdff9e25983b8dc9d898b7106f6e96.jpg20190331_162012.thumb.jpg.b52748b886131b5ef1c8eef6e8b7cbcc.jpg20190331_162024.thumb.jpg.d281735f71c91b4f32adacef4d3d1f64.jpg20190331_162035.thumb.jpg.d2532246161cf48de773919e9e247a69.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Step 2 of the instructions is now complete with the exception of installing the propellers, as I will do this later, as not to damage them. I decide that I would skip to step 6 and complete the assembly of the fore deck components. I have cut away the required pieces from the deck to allow the installation of the veneer wood flooring.

Next to do is paint the components fixed to the deck before I secure the flooring so as not to get any pain on the wood.

20190409_204302.jpg

20190402_213735a.jpg

20190402_213710.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just picked up this kit, which I promised my great-nephew that I’d have done for him by this Christmas. Really look forward to your posts. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

• 1 month later...

Continuing to work on step #6 of the build plans. I after removal of the required items. I painted everything that would be showing after laying down the veneer decking. I did this so I could reduce the chance of getting unwanted paint on the deck. Now that the deck is glued down, I think my next step is to apply a protective coat on the deck for protection (I'm planning on applying Polyurethane gloss coat). As this is drying I will start to prepare all the items on step 6 that are to be installed on the deck including the PE to replace what was cut off.

Titanic Fore Deck.jpg

• 2 months later...

So here is a picture of what has been completed on the foredeck so far. The deck has been sealed and parts added. I will now be moving on to the aft deck and bring it up to the same status as the foredeck. Also attached is a picture of the aft deck with the veneer lying beside it. I have circled the items that will have to be removed to allow installation of the veneer. This time I will be sealing the veneer before placing it on the deck as I believe this will be easier than trying to paint around all the deck fittings etc...

Titanic Foredeck.jpg

Titanic Aft Deck_markup.jpg

Looking good, your structured approach can keep the builder out of trouble down the road.

Enjoy, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Ahaaa another TITANIC... as a commission build it is always a question of time and money put in and pecuniary output on the other end. A too good dony model tends to give "black zero" as our managers tell us.

Solokking foreward to your progress.

"Let's add every day 1/2 hour of

modelship building to our

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

OverTheWaves.jpg.534bd9a459123becf821c603b550c99e.jpg

simple, true and inpretentious motto of ROYAL LOUIS, 1668

Sunking's mediter. flagship most decorated ocean-going ship 

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - Lavente flagship (based on Heller SR - 1/92 & scratch in 1/64) 

TONNANT, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - sister of SAINT PHILIPPE (mock-up/test-object for S.P. - scratch in 1/64) 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

French Pleasure Corvette (after Ancre plans - scatch in 1/64)

Some Spantaneous Short Term Projects

MAN-o-MAN!

Does that ever look good,  

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

• 2 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:38 AM, Heinrich der Seefahrer said:

Ahaaa another TITANIC... as a commission build it is always a question of time and money put in and pecuniary output on the other end. A too good dony model tends to give "black zero" as our managers tell us.

Solokking foreward to your progress.

Definitely not making anything off this build. Took it on just for the experience. 

Well just like most of us I had to take a little time away, I had way to many things to do. I did get started on the Aft deck and the progress is coming along well. As I stated in my previous update, I did manage to seal the veneer before laying it down. The veneer deck is now in place and I have started to mount the various items and walls for the aft cabin. Currently working on the PE for the rear bridge. I will post a picture of that once I have it completed. That’s all for now.

20191116_203936.jpg

Nice Build thus far....

I do have a question for you, perhaps not appropriate for public consumption, how do you determine the cost of this build for your customer?

(I have this kit in waiting for my partner one day soonish….)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:05 AM, hof00 said:

Nice Build thus far....

I do have a question for you, perhaps not appropriate for public consumption, how do you determine the cost of this build for your customer?

(I have this kit in waiting for my partner one day soonish….)

Cheers....HOF.

For me on this build I wasn't looking to make any money off of it. I was mainly looking for the chance to gain more experience in the art of model ship building. So basically for this model I looked at what I would use in consumables like paint, sanding material, glues etc... and added a little for some of my time. In conclusion as this is my first commission build I'm mainly in it for the experience. I know this likely has not answered your question but that's the best I can do at this time as I don't really have the answer myself. 

Thanks you.

Nice answer!! 🙂

Following the build with interest regardless.

Cheers and Regards,

HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

CK,

V. nice start - will follow along as well.

In case you were curious 🤔

Swiss Air flight from JFK to Zurich.

5_1574238244794.jpg.e4f6bfb36510eac3b1bfd3bab30baeaf.jpg

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 11:05 AM, CKNavy said:

Well just like most of us I had to take a little time away, I had way to many things to do. I did get started on the Aft deck and the progress is coming along well. As I stated in my previous update, I did manage to seal the veneer before laying it down. The veneer deck is now in place and I have started to mount the various items and walls for the aft cabin. Currently working on the PE for the rear bridge. I will post a picture of that once I have it completed. That’s all for now.

20191116_203936.jpg

looks amazing , so much detail 

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 4/10/2019 at 3:17 AM, CKNavy said:

Step 2 of the instructions is now complete with the exception of installing the propellers, as I will do this later, as not to damage them. I decide that I would skip to step 6 and complete the assembly of the fore deck components. I have cut away the required pieces from the deck to allow the installation of the veneer wood flooring.

Next to do is paint the components fixed to the deck before I secure the flooring so as not to get any pain on the wood.

20190409_204302.jpg

20190402_213735a.jpg

20190402_213710.jpg

Is there a place I can order the front (as the pictures) an the back deck. I do something wrong with this kit and "destroy" this to decks....