Zeehaen 1639 by flying_dutchman2 - 1:37.5 - Dutch Fluit of Explorer Abel J. Tasman

20 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Very impressive, Marcus. I'm following this design evolution with great interest. I'm not sure I have the courage to pull apart and rebuild to the degree you're doing it:dancetl6:.

Steven

Steven, 

Either I do a drastic re-do or start all over again. If I left it the way it was the area would be too much of an angle instead of straight up. 

I have learned a lot from the drastic re-do as I want to build another Fluit and it will be much easier knowing what I should look out for. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

15 hours ago, Ab Hoving said:

Excellent Marcus, you are on the right track now!

Next be aware that your real planks should curve upwards to the stern to get the sheer you want.

Always keep an eye on the lines....

Ab, 

Thank you for the encouragement and as always, thank you for your guidance in building this ship. 

Marcus 

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

8 hours ago, Jean-Pierre said:

Fantastic recovery action!  You are on the right track now.  But don't rush it...

Jean-Pierre, 

Thank you, and yes, the recovery process is working out. I am doing this very slow with lots of dry runs. 

Marcus 

After measuring and remeasuring, doing some more dry runs and staring at it, I laid out the frame pieces needed to built up the area. 

Stared at it some more and dry fitted one more time, I glued the frame parts one by one with Tightbond III glue (over kill). Clamped the frames making sure they fitted exactly where they are supposed to be. 

843681033_FluitZeehaenre-do10.thumb.jpg.2a1bb3a11d50a0f5bf68263909b78ff1.jpg

2136677581_FluitZeehaenre-do11.thumb.jpg.4dd66874596a5b9288b95c16eae5ac92.jpg

The planks are dry fitted so I know how the contours of the frames are and that it all fits. 

1991231495_FluitZeehaenre-do9.thumb.jpg.0463471326b510fde4545aeba814afa5.jpg

I am satisfied with how it all looks. The hips of the ship are round. It is definitely different compared to what I did in the first place. 

427712750_FluitZeehaenre-do12.thumb.jpg.2912dc7ae486b8a0f061288e32c4d47b.jpg

I will do the other side tomorrow. 

Marcus 

The frame pieces are straight and it glued up nicely. Some areas on the frames need to be lightly sanded. 

1582574659_FluitZeehaenre-do15.thumb.jpg.77d3679a18074ecc8706f605a75c9a07.jpg

82499532_FluitZeehaenre-do16.thumb.jpg.9d201840ccde3f41c936aa9115ccb71f.jpg

Did the same process for the opposite side. 

163871167_FluitZeehaenre-do17.thumb.jpg.6ac76b91e73f3eb449e798ab66ed08b5.jpg

The metal pieces go through the planking and frame pieces. The 90 degree angle keeps the frame pieces from moving down into the hull. 

1436566978_FluitZeehaenre-do17a.thumb.jpg.81d758a1a25be8446df466ad49ef2c55.jpg

1577985319_FluitZeehaenre-do18.thumb.jpg.76c4d115464de5610a806d1bbee09bd8.jpg

Marcus 

14 hours ago, Ab Hoving said:

Marcus, 

Why do your four forward frames curve inwards at the top?

Ab, 

That area will be removed as it is higher than the top of the railing of the taffrail template. I can always add more to the top if I have to. 

Marcus 

Started planking the area.

1626040063_FluitZeehaenre-do17.thumb.jpg.a02bb5451ac9abeb5d59f71fb46a71e1.jpg

I cut out a small area where the walnut plank will be installed and curved lightly upward and follow the shear

673474966_FluitZeehaenre-do16.thumb.jpg.437b1359500f2f789bb8844b40203644.jpg

I am slowly planking, making sure that it its a tight fit.

20200116_112410.thumb.jpg.5bf95ca4a9567ec29b59177e464a86fa.jpg

878428119_FluitZeehaenre-do18.thumb.jpg.53344f45db925d7ad02e51eaef200e5c.jpg1748578113_FluitZeehaenre-do15.thumb.jpg.9c627c7de7181b0345c3c7b609d3be62.jpg

Marcus 

Looks much better than your previous attempt.  By the way, you may be interested by some pics of my own build of a flute (on this forum: see Dutch Whaler by Jean-Pierre:  I tried to add the link, but the program  keeps changing the address into an image of said build log)

You might be interested by the way I made the short bends at the stern.

Anyway, I strongly suggest that you also glue the battens to each other, which hugely reinforces the first planking.

4 hours ago, Jean-Pierre said:

Looks much better than your previous attempt.  By the way, you may be interested by some pics of my own build of a flute (on this forum: see Dutch Whaler by Jean-Pierre:  I tried to add the link, but the program  keeps changing the address into an image of said build log)

Anyway, I strongly suggest that you also glue the battens to each other, which hugely reinforces the first planking.

Thank you for the complement. Yes, I checked your build and I am impressed with how you build her. 

It is not an easy ship to built. 

Marcus 

Slowly planking up and after the hips the planks go straight up.

473614639_FluitZeehaenre-do18.thumb.jpg.2f89b4d67c4f91d0e096159eab0ee5c4.jpg

1634709853_FluitZeehaenre-do22.thumb.jpg.c789c5ee3e59bc14669d5346e84087f4.jpg

Again, she looks much better and the planks come together in a point behind the taffrail. 

1100230760_FluitZeehaenre-do21.thumb.jpg.002c831e9a09ae88a3eb03590e789a55.jpg

Top view

1160266312_FluitZeehaenre-do20.thumb.jpg.87329e25fa6cdc44250f99f5d0325638.jpg

1519677226_FluitZeehaenre-do19.thumb.jpg.d1d2c7c16b692476ced0d767eea30165.jpg

Marcus 

2 hours ago, amateur said:

You nailed it!

So much better than the first attempt.

Jan

Thanks 😀, Jan and I got good advice from the 'man' who has built several of them. 

1183925467_FluitZeehaenre-do23.thumb.jpg.ff9b916a00190569305f2ecfff9e5286.jpg

Marcus 

A wonderful job, Marcus! I can't wait to see her after second planking. She's going to be very beautiful. 

As an Australian, I find this build fascinating. My first history book when I was in primary school in Western Australia was called "Australia since 1606" and I heard all about the Dirk Hartog and de Vlamingh silver plates  and I've since seen the latter one in the shipwreck Museum in Fremantle, along with the relics of the Batavia, Zuytdorp and Vergulde Draeck.

And of course Rottnest Island and the Swan River where I grew up were named by Vlamingh.  

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

15 hours ago, Jean-Pierre said:

The image is the link, Jean-Pierre.   If you want it be just a link, down near the bottom of the box is black that will say something like "this is rich text, to post as text click here".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

14 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

A wonderful job, Marcus! I can't wait to see her after second planking. She's going to be very beautiful. 

As an Australian, I find this build fascinating. My first history book when I was in primary school in Western Australia was called "Australia since 1606" and I heard all about the Dirk Hartog and de Vlamingh silver plates  and I've since seen the latter one in the shipwreck Museum in Fremantle, along with the relics of the Batavia, Zuytdorp and Vergulde Draeck.

And of course Rottnest Island and the Swan River where I grew up were named by Vlamingh.  

Steven

Steven, 

Thanks for the compliment. Over the course of this build I've been reading a lot about the Dutch Ship wrecks on the coast of Australia and the museum in Fremantle pops up constantly (just need to visit it all....... one of these days... ). Museums in Australia have a wealth of information about the Dutch. Furthermore, many PhD dissertations in marine archeology are written about Dutch Ship wrecks in and around Australia and most of these papers are free. 

Because you like this build, you need to check out Jean-Pierre's beautiful build. In the search area, type Dutch whaler. It is a good looking model. Everything is nice and round. No straight lines. 

The second planking will be cherry (which will darken over time), and walnut for the wales. But first I need to install the decks and figure out where the masts will be placed. 

Marcus 

12 hours ago, Ab Hoving said:

Congratulations Markus. This time it will work.

The 'man' 🙂

Thanks Ab. She looks so much better and the lines flow much nicer. 

As I wrote in Stevens reply, I will start on the decks now and install some of the inside the hull planking, that is the area on the main deck and the rest of the upper decks. 

Marcus 

11 hours ago, G.L. said:

Marcus, I see you tree nailed the planks. Is that already the upper layer of planks?

G. L., 

Upper layer of planks? Do you mean the second layer of planking or the first layer of planking but up towards the taffrail mould? 

My tree nais are toothpicks cut in half with a razor blade. 

Marcus 

16 hours ago, flying_dutchman2 said:

G. L., 

Upper layer of planks? Do you mean the second layer of planking or the first layer of planking but up towards the taffrail mould? 

My tree nais are toothpicks cut in half with a razor blade. 

Marcus 

I mean the final layer. The layerthat will remain visible.

8 hours ago, G.L. said:

I mean the final layer. The layerthat will remain visible.

Final layer not on yet. I plan to do the decks and the railings first because I will be moving the model a lot just to get the decks in the correct position. I don't want to dent the 2nd layer planking. 

Marcus 

This jig measures the height and checks if both sides are level. Both sides have to be even. 

1400369998_FluitZeehaenmeas_hgt1.thumb.jpg.9c570e6b4d978d3f62561d4cff9af5b5.jpg

1477163916_FluitZeehaenmeas_hgt2.thumb.jpg.8912062ba6b5b00536827c015a51ff89.jpg

Besides measuring the height of both sides, I also draw the waterline on the hull and with pushpins attach planks to the edge of the waterline. 

From the plans I measure the distance from the waterline to the top of the railing. Then I transfer that figure to the ship. 

198999259_FluitZeehaenhgtofrailing.thumb.jpg.befeab13c44efd99e9d72c354e32bf5a.jpg

Lets me know how much wood I need to remove or add. 

Marcus 

Figuring the location of the decks.

Starting at the waterline I measure  between decks on the plan and transfer that number to the same location on the outside of the hull. Once all locations are marked with a pencil, I drill a tiny hole in the hull. I do the same for the other side of the hull. 

Stick a stainless steel rod through all the holes which give me an idea of where the decks will be.

1143283211_FluitZeehaendecklocations1.thumb.jpg.806ffc0b2c69a69e9ac60ac9256a5d8f.jpg

2139648824_FluitZeehaendecklocations2.thumb.jpg.0c43fec88aa9c7b6e84f8f8391372b85.jpg

(From my Woodworkers club, a steel worker gave me stainless steel rods from sizes 0.3mm to 2mm) I just cut them in smaller lengths.

Made deck templates from cherry veneer

1736493807_FluitZeehaendecktemplates3.thumb.jpg.b4c150a881002558ea66bc37937e6337.jpg

and put them where the permanent decks will be. 

293522679_FluitZeehaendecktemplates4.thumb.jpg.34aaa69f84bb24742c1fd3b215d0967a.jpg

1714492698_FluitZeehaendecktemplates5.thumb.jpg.36a0ce6984a1ae0a3391aaec13f6c245.jpg

The rods are temporary. Notches will be made where the tiny holes are located and a deck beam will be installed there. 

Then a new deck will be installed. 

On a different note. From the 10th to the 24th of February I will be in New Delhi, India. The first week is sight seeing and in the second week there will be a 3 day wedding. My niece is getting married in a traditional Indian wedding. 

I am the only paternal uncle and I have a crucial role to play. I will be giving the bride away. My wife and I have all the necessary clothing to wear for the occasion. 

Indian weddings must be one of the costliest occasions compared to other types of weddings. Feed 300 and counting guests for 3 days. Our clothes are in the frugal range of $$ but the wedding dress can go from simple to having gold strings sewed into them. My guess is that my niece's dress will not be cheap. 

Anyway, it is going to be an interesting affair. 

Marcus 

Before I do another 'radical re-do', I have the following question for the modelers who have built a Fluit.

When I am facing the ship with the taffrail/stern in front of me, on the left side from frame 50 to the taffrail the upper planking goes straight up.

1348775063_FluitZeehaenLstraightup.thumb.jpg.07643d37631ee38663aa2559eea00331.jpg

Facing the taffrail/stern again, on the right side. From frame 50 to frame 20 the top planking is at an angle and from frame 20 to the taffrail the planking goes straight up.

487459692_FluitZeehaenRangled.thumb.jpg.dfa917a9b7203b5f0ca3cfe2f252a91a.jpg

Question: Do I need to do a drastic removal from the area on the right side from frame 50 to 20 and reinstall new frames, so when I plank that area the planks will go straight up?

I am tempted to do this as it is easy to execute and doesn't take up a lot of time. 

On the pictures uploaded here, you can't really tell the angled planks to the straight up planks. 

On several pictures in the Merchant book it looks that way, not angled but straight up.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance, 

Marcus 

1 hour ago, Ab Hoving said:

Seems to me that at least you should try to get both sides equal. The truth is in the draught...

Thanks for the suggestion. 

I will do the radical re-do and get the planking going straight up. I think it would look much better that way. 

Marcus