Yukikaze by Javlin - FINISHED - Hasegawa - 1/350 - PLASTIC - Japanese destroyer

19 hours ago, RGL said:

It seems fast but it’s not, it’s mainly production line work that appears to come together quickly at the end. 

But looking at your work Greg from start to finish it seems quick maybe you are retired?I had to solve a problem .....handling the model to much and almost damaging some of the existing PE work.So, I took some 2" clamps and glued on some felt pads wha la but then you had to put it down? The next step was obvious for me at least took an ole chunk of Maple and mortised  a 1/2'W X1"LX1"D hole as a mounting block.The base has two coats of clear steel wool'ed,decals and another coat tonight.Yes I have touch ups for the hull red before the felt.

Maya 001.JPG

Maya 002.JPG

Edited by Javlin

Nice approach Javelin.  I was wondering what to do about adding exterior PE to the hull earlier in the build so I can prime and paint at same time.  Maybe I should rethink that.  I’m a bit clumsy around my builds. 🙄

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

So while I was surfing YT for that video above I came across a Flyhawk 1/700 of the Bismark build it showed this technique for holding railing in play the kind of railing I am use to and not little platforms you have to bend but I think it will work well.Just throwing ideals out there for others to use or expand upon ;) Kevin

Maya 005.JPG

Maya 006.JPG

Edited by Javlin

I ordered one of those Tamiya turntables (actually, a pack of two) from Amazon - not sure if I'll get them as Amazon emailed me that the seller didn't provide them with shipping info.  They are supposed to be here by the end of the month, but if not, I might have to reorder.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Well when get them Mike I like you to post a pic I have seen them for planes but have seen such for ships.The tape on the side works well I did two long pieces of railing in what it took for one in past and it allows less glue which gives one a faster drying time and less mess.Finish up search light ,boats ,chain and some rigging and wesa moving along :Whew:Kevin

3 hours ago, CapnMac82 said:

Our present heat wave is probably na excellent time to be working on a ship called "snow wind."

Bravo

Thks for looking in Cap I was going to email you a question posed on another forum that you may know something about.Why did the IJN in alot of cases barring carrier decks out back stack alot of armament on the rear decks?Last Pics of the day promise got about 8 hrs in today the tape Mike works wonders when you get there. ;) Kevin

Maya 007.JPG

Maya 008.JPG

Maya 009.JPG

Maya 010.JPG

Maya 011.JPG

Maya 012.JPG

The ship has been about 3/4 coats of Future in perpetration for the Tamy wash but rest of the decals go down first then another coat of Future this will all take place Monday.The wash should get laid on Thursday after all is good and dry.The future hides all the little gloss glue marks and when I go to flat it will all be good.Thks for looking! ;) Kevin

Maya 001.JPG

Maya 002.JPG

Maya 004.JPG

Nice Kevin!

I was thinking of bidding on that auction but went with the Shimakaze as a slightly easier first start.  Nice choice!

Mike

On 7/21/2019 at 8:45 PM, Javlin said:

Thks for looking in Cap I was going to email you a question posed on another forum that you may know something about.Why did the IJN in alot of cases barring carrier decks out back stack alot of armament on the rear decks?Last Pics of the day promise got about 8 hrs in today the tape Mike works wonders when you get there. ;) Kevin

As far as I remember, it's about sea-keeping and stability.

The raised forecastle is good for buoyancy.  It adds quartering space without making a deeper hull body.  You get the tiniest extra bit of range o nthe forward gun by having it a deck higher, too.

Also, the Japanese fully expected their "small boys"--the DDs adn CLs--to engage broadside, rather than head on.  So, the A, X, Y layout makes more than some sense.  Add in that the 12.7cm guns only had a 18km  range and the Long Lance torpedo had either a 22km or a 40km range.  Which over-matches the USN 5"38 at 16km rather handily.  (Not that shabby versus the 6"47 [18km] of the Brooklyn class CLs--although none of the Kaze class was going to fare well taking 6" hits.)  The 12.7 mounts on the Kazes were notoriously slow to load, and even slower in train.  The all-weather torpedo launchers gave good protection for all the support equipment the Long Lances required, but were slow to reload.

USN practice was to enlarged the body section and have crew berthing on the 200 Deck, and use flush decked designs set up to shed green water over the bow..  During the Washington Treaty times, and forecastle-decked DDS, the 52 mounts on the 03 level would often not have full gun houses, but just a frontal shield and canvas sea covers to save topside weight  nad reserve metacentric height.  USN doctrine also was to employ "screen" vessels in head-on attacks, so more guns forward made sense, tactically.  The short range of USN torpedoes--9km/10,000yds for Mk 12--meant that the van loosed torpedoes only at the end of an attack run, then did a 180º laying smoke back out of the way, by which time the heavies were have meant to have maneuvered to cross the T or such similar tactical advantage would be well in order.

Thks for the info Cap.I had a thought about those long lance torpedoes use that's an awful long distance to shoot and point.So,I started thinking tactics maybe?I wonder did the IJN use an arc trajectory to launch?In the case of the Maya she could launch 12 torpedoes quite quickly and then you have other ships in the convoy who could launch maybe bringing the total in the water 30-40 torpedoes out looking for targets on a broadside of sorts.I wonder have you heard are aware of battles were this tactic may of been employed?I need to order some books off Amazon ;) Kevin Thks in advance for any response Sir.

Wow, very nice indeed!  Is that the Yahagi?

You has asked about the Tamiya turntables.  I finally got my order in.  There’s a small one with two spring bars that hold your parts.  The larger one comes with clips and holes (for example, that can hold those alligator clips on a stick things) for a lot of versatility.  I can see getting a lot of use out of them for vehicle and Gundam work.  I do think they can come in handy for doing ship assemblies and even for holding the ship’s hull.

Mike

Cap I found the answer I was just to curious: http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-067.php

130 torpedoes in one launch Geezs :Whew:

The acumen of World War Two Imperial Japanese Navy cruiser and destroyermen in torpedo attack is an accepted fact. The range and power of their Type 93 torpedo (dubbed the "Long Lance" by historian Morison) have become the stuff of legend. To call the Japanese surface forces the best at torpedo attack is easily defensible.

But were they good enough to meet the standard required for their own strategic and tactical preconceptions? Prior to Admiral Yamamoto Isoroku's radical break with pre-war IJN strategy, the accepted method of engaging the US Fleet was a three fold process:

1. Attrition operations by submarines and surface force raids.
  2. A night attack by fast battleships, Class A cruisers, and Special Type destroyers.
  3. A daylight battle line engagement at dawn following the night attack. If the officer in tactical command judged it appropriate, the battle line could be committed to the night attack if that effort was going better than expected.

Torpedo attack was the cornerstone of the night attack, and a critical element of the day attack intended to rectify Japan's initial 3:5 and worsening deficit in numbers. The night attack force was to launch an intricately coordinated long-range salvo of 130 torpedoes from 11 different groups using half their ready torpedoes. This salvo was designed to converge upon and hit 10 American capital ships with 20 weapons (a rate of ~15%).

After the initial salvo at long range (20,000 meters), the four Kongo Class battleships and 17 Class A cruisers detailed to the night attack force were to break through the American screen - suicidally if necessary - and clear the way for the force's two torpedo cruisers and the light cruiser and 14 destroyers of a destroyer squadron to expend the remainder of their ready torpedoes in a close range attack from as little as 2,000 meters.

Once all ready torpedoes were expended, the night attack force was to fight its way clear, reload torpedoes, and execute further attacks if possible. Survivors would eventually join the battle line for the "Decisive Battle" at dawn.

The daylight Decisive Battle was also to feature torpedo attack, including an initial salvo of 280 weapons at long range. As this salvo began to hit, the battle line would open fire. This massive salvo was expected to cripple or sink 10 American capital ships. When the Japanese Admiral judged the situation ripe, the three light cruisers and 48 destroyers of three destroyer squadrons would charge (again, suicidally if necessary) to close range and expend the remainder of their torpedoes. This charge was expected to be able to ensure the destruction of 16 American capital ships.

The IJN's battle plan reads impressively and dramatically, but it has numerous flaws. Most of these will not be discussed in this article. Here the principle

If you look in your research article, it says that it is estimated that in the 7 hour long 1st battle of the Java Sea at least 164 Type 93s were launched in 38 attacks. All of these attacks were at what would be considered long distance and for the most part the allied fleet, (ABDA) did not even know they had been lunched and did almost nothing to avoid torpedoes as they had no idea of the range of the Long Lance and the torpedoes left no wake, so the warning was at best minimal. The result was two light cruisers and one destroyer lost, all Dutch.

On the next night an additional 35 or probably more type 93s were launched in I think two close ranges attacks. It is a little hard to be certain as the Japanese were very poor record keepers on matters like this. but the result was two cruisers sunk, (The only targets available) and at least two friendly cargo ships sunk. Several of the hits against the Houston and the cargo ships were made when they were stationary in the water. Again it is to be remembered that this was at night in an enclosed limited maneuvering area from very close range! It has to be noted though that almost all of the attacks made by destroyers were done while receiving 5" star shells into their hulls and superstructures along with at least a couple of 8" hits from the Houston. The reason for the star shells was that that was the only ammo she had left after the prolonged battle of the day before. The ranges were so close that the guns were shooting under local control and the crews could see people burning and running from the flames caused by the star shells hits on the Japanese ships

Most of the torpedo hits on the Houston were obtained after she had completely run out of 5" and 8" ammo and was dead in the water shooting only .50cal guns.  

As poor as this launch-to-hit ratio was, the allied, especially the US numbers relating to torpedo hits was far worse!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Sad part was that UNI was aware of the extended range, and the dual speed, capability of the IJN torpedoes.  However, there was disbelief in the numbers that had been acquired as they were so phenomenally greater than US weapons (that, partially due to the Depression-era concentration of all torpedo production to the Torpedo Factory).
There was some issue in that the Peacetime Navy did not hand out promotions based on a person's knowledge of gouge.  There was an over-reliance on radar, but a distrust in relying on then Buck Rogers tech for operational readiness.

IJN prided itself on promoting its officer and inculcating them in a decisive stroke (Ippon waza) mindset.  The operative theory being that the risk of losing their most skilled officers and crews in suicidal attacks was balanced by the potential gains if successful.

In many ways it was a horrible calculus.

I kept reading later looked like IJN was satisfied with 10/15% ratio on hits was acceptable .A full read of the data per IJN encounters is available later in the link.

CapnMac82 I am really starting to find the PTO of interest I read the book Red Sun Rising about 15 yrs ago found it quite interesting.My interest has always been the ETO since my father was a Radio Operator on a B-17 and was in the first group to make to England without any notable losses.My son now resides in Misawa Japan with the 35FW as a Crewchief E-4 been in since 2016.I keep up with whats going on in that sphere of the world.

Edited by Javlin

Decals have been applied and started some of the wash balxk was to strong and brown was almost there but not quite so I made my own mixture of 1 black 1 brown and .5 light grey.I still have some more to go but not alot as far as the wash goes but will add some brown pastels to the chain and rope hawes (sp) then gloss clear then flat.

Next big thing Yahagi came in today!! I got fine molds single type 93 mgs and Range finders binoculars setups etc,two dimension and three dimension  figure ,nice PE kit and two posters ;) Kevin

Yahagi!! and The Flotilla  and I got a 1/32 early P-51

Maya 001.JPG

Maya 002.JPG

Maya 003.JPG

Maya 004.JPG

Maya 005.JPG

Maya 006.JPG

p51 001.JPG

Edited by Javlin

So this is were I am at a little rust and highlights and trying to dirty her up a bit deck bags on the guns but not to much.I have done little of this weathering even less in ships some helpful criticism and techniques welcomed,on to the rigging. ;) Kevin

having looked at the pics here I feel the wash was still to strong I applied last night does not look strong really in person but looks overdone here.Less is best! we soldier on ;)

Maya 005.JPG

Maya 003.JPG

Maya 002.JPG

Edited by Javlin

I like it!

Mike

I appreciate that Mike but neck time I will do it like the Eugen as sub-assemblies.I have the forward part of the ship rigged with .010" ez-line it loves to stick to itself and thin glue (SG) I will paint the backside of the yards later weras I wrapped the line and started on the rear deck of the SS,This was not to bad about 8hrs maybe and that was after I pulled all fives of the stanchion like part coming off the side of the SS.

Maya 003.JPG

Maya 002.JPG

Maya 001.JPG

Both came out fantastic!  I hope mine comes out half as nice.

On your Yukikaze, did you add anchor chains to the bow?  Or were the chains molded into the deck piece?  I'm wondering what to do with the Shimakaze, where Hasegawa decided to mold them into the deck.  The chains are pretty crisp, and I can probably pick them out with paint, but it seems to me that it would look more realistic with better depth if I installed my own chains.

Mike

Somewhere--can't remember where--there's a build of Eugen as IX-9 (?) "USS Eugen" in her fitment for the Swordfish testing at Bikini.

Would be a fascinating paint scheme.  However, some of the fiddly bits would be complicated as she was fitted out with some odd weapons for the test--like a flakvierling and some Army howitzers, if memory serves.  Which might be hard to source in 1/350.