Fokker DR1

Hi Chap,

The "Hard" Solder doesn't come with a Flux Core.

Have to put the Flux on separately.

Strengthened the outside of the Firewall .with "Shim" Brass and Planking Nails, the Fuselage Longeroons need a bit of a solid penetration through the afore mentioned Firewall.

I'm still have reservations regarding accurate measurements, I have already had to move the last Cockpit Frames 10mm aft.... (Solder is good here.... 😊)

(I also tried some "Supposedly" really great Polymer resin for Brass/Muntz metal joints, not good. (Even Brass/Wood not good.... ☹️)

Anyway, onwards and upwards?

Cheers....HOF. 

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Hi Chap,

CA would probably be o.k. but need something a little more "Shock" Proof._

(My "Super T" CA is past it's best by date.... Guess I have to order some?)

The Polymer is touted, "Stronger than Superglue," I don't think so....

Cheers….HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

There are rubber filled CAs available. Helps reduce the shearing issues of CA.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Chap,

Awaiting some "ZAP" products, CA and Epoxy.

Supposedly delivered this morning but I think the Courier may be Dyslexic? (Casting no aspersions but had this in the past...)

Anyway, while I chase this up with the supplier, have primed the Cowling/Careening/Axle Wheel parts in preparation for the "Red."

So, hoping for some sort of miracle delivery this weekend, it'll probably be next week before I can get anything else done.☹️

Have a good weekend all!!

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Oops, forgot,

Work on the Firewall continues as does the Cockpit Veneer stuff, I have plenty of  stuff to do....

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

On 8/8/2019 at 9:58 PM, Canute said:

There are rubber filled CAs available. Helps reduce the shearing issues of CA.

Hi Canute does the rubber filling make it a bit slower to dry and a bit thicker as glue.

I cannot use ca, never sticks, all my fault definitely. I would like a slower  and bit thicker clear glue.

Can you show a pic of what you are talking about?
thanks Chris

Oh and Howdy Hof I hope you are managing to make some progress. 😉😁

Cabbie,

What thickness of CA are you using?  My hobby shop carries "super thin", "thin", "regular/medum" and something called "cap-filling" and there is a "thick".  Try the "cap-filling" or one of the slow-curing CA's.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Cabbie

The thicker CA gets, the slower it cures, still faster than most glues. The super thin just a few seconds, the gell like which can take up to half a minute/minute

I use Insta-cure from BSI the blue insta-cure takes 3 secs, the thicker insta-cure+ takes on average 15 secs there is an ever thicker one which will probably take a minute or so. If you use a different brand, it will have different curing times for their respective thicknesses

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Hi All,

I'll wade in to the debate....

Finally got my "ZAP" stuff.... Thin CA and 15 Minute Zpoxy.

I have used the CA to "Pin" the Metal where appropriate and the Zpoxy to strengthen the joint. (I rate the Zpoxy!! There is also a 5 minute version available)

The stuff I used before giving it a miss was a commercial product by "Selleys" called Power Grip, it was anything but.... Maybe I wasn't patient enough?

Anyway, work continues on the DR1, lots of metal bits, not so much wood....

(I didn't enjoy Metalwork in my first year of High School, that's why I reverted to Home Economics, Cooking.... 🙂)

(I retained the Woodwork though.)

Once the Elevators are complete, (Tomorrow?), I'll post some photos.

Have a great weekend!!

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Thanks all

Mark, To me so far super glue is super glue, just been getting the standard one but now i see that

there all sorts.

Thanks Cog that looks like the one for me and i can get it in Aus from here    https://www.modelflight.com.au/bob-smith-industries-insta-cure-plus-gap-filling-cyanoacrylate-2-oz-glue.html

Thanks Canute yours is instant which i don't know if i can handle, instant types are what I have been using.

Hi Hof looking forward to seeing more of your work. Epoxy glues seem to be messy with me. I will give the BSI one a go.

First I need to make some time and do some modelling.

I did come across this video, I think it is CA with an accelerator, imagine the mess i could have with that stuff.

Cheers Chris

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2263190990446441

Hi Chris, Et all,

Agree, Epoxy can be slippery and messy, not so nice to work with....

CA has it's uses, the late great Manstini called Super Glue "Stupid" Glue. (Ship Modelling Simplified.)

Anyway, work continues on the Elevator/s, not by any means finished this.

Aligning Ribs with the Tail plane and then clean up the Epoxy Fillets, I will no doubt need a touch up or two during this process.

With the Z-Poxy, the stuff goes solid, commercial Epoxy, (Araldite), seem to stay "Plastic" for days....

(At 3.4"C tonight, (OS temperature), it's taking a little more than 15 minutes to go off, plenty of time for fine adjustment. 🙂)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Temperature is dropping in Stokes Vegas....

2.1"C

Plastered the corners of the Firewall with Z-Poxy. Hopefully this will complete integrity of this rather  brittle component and the penetration's therein. 🙂

Already tidying up the Elevator/Tail Plane, more Z-Popxy Fillets....

(I may have to spray the Control surfaces Gunmetal/Silver, we'll see....)

Carl, I promise to post some photos later today, just for you Chap. 🙂

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Loctite make a glue titled Power Flex. Has a black label (because of the rubber?) Per my source, it's a gel. So you'll get a little working time. I myself will be looking for some of this stuff after my current supply gets used up or solidifies. ;)

Ken

Updates:

Apologies that these are late....

Had issues with the Tail Plane/Elevators....

Trying to clean these up last night, the Port side LE separated, glued it back on but the Geometry changed slightly which meant the Elevator did not have clearance to operate.

Replaced the LE, Epoxy Fillets and cleaned up a bit.

(Might give it a bit more of a "Tickle" tomorrow.)

Anyway....

DSC_0861.JPG

DSC_0863.JPG

DSC_0863.JPG

DSC_0858.JPG

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Cowling, Careening, (Don't know why it's called that), and Wheels:

DSC_0873.JPG

DSC_0874.JPG

DSC_0875.JPG

DSC_0872.JPG

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

A couple of pictures of "Sausage" 1 and 2 after a couple of hard days "Helping" with Modelling activities and other Cat Stuff....

DSC_0876.JPG

DSC_0879.JPG

DSC_0884.JPG

DSC_0886.JPG

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Addendum:

I did try to Hard Solder the Rudder/Tail Plane/Elevator components.

It's o.k. for the Brass/Brass connections but not for Brass/Muntz Metal stuff, I did try.... (I also researched on the Net.)

Seemed to be too much risk associated with high, (Blow Torch), temperatures/melting points.

Z-Poxy seems to have done the trick.

Firewall stuff later today perhaps....

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

very nice progress HOF :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Has anyone tried this stuff: https://www.vms-supplies.com/flexy-5k-pe-product-overview 

According to stuff I have read and at least one video that is out there somewhere, it appears that this stuff is both stronger by a considerable margin and flexible as well. It appears that it comes in a number of thicknesses and setting times. The only real place I have seen it sold here in the US is through eBay and is shipped directly from Poland.

I bought one bottle so far for use on my Houston build when I can get to it. It has a multi piece hull made of resin and I wanted to make certain the bond was extremely strong. I have not opened it yet as I have not started the Houston build and don't want it going bad after opening.

They also seem to carry a bunch of other products for weathering, texturing, painting, and so forth.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks Dennis/Lou,

Progress with the Firewall, It's a bit of a mission....

There are "Veneers" that attach and a whole host of other stuff.

Thinking about some "Mods" to make stuff more accurate/secure.

As stated, some time ago, this Model/Kit leaves a lot to be desired.

(I'll try my level best to complete....)

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

• 2 weeks later...

Small update....

Work continues on the Fuselage.... I'm not too happy with it, there are no accurate measurements in the "Destructions" it's just go with the flow and try to get things lined up/square.

As stated before, there are many, many issues.... One of the se is the fragility of the components, Esp, the "Muntz" ones.

(Filed a bit of a groove tonight for the Instrument Cluster, it just fell to bits with the most gentle touch, anyway, rebuilt/fixed with CA/Epoxy.)

I think that this one has been languishing too long and over time, if not assembled, the parts degrade.

Haver completed the Control Column, Rudder Bar, Cockpit Floor and am reasonably happy with the Firewall and "Cockpit" Veneers.

I have also to fabricate some Lugs for the Landing Gear/Interplane Struts as the most forward Cockpit Frames were missing and I had to Fabricate these also.

So, we'll see how it goes....

I'll post some photos tomorrow.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Is this "Muntz" metal copper colored?   If it is, it's the "good stuff" that was used in last period of the wooden sailing ships as it was cheaper than pure copper (it's a copper alloy).

If it's a silver color, heaven knows what it but my dad and others always called it "pot metal" which was because they just tossed stuff in to the mix. Very fragile and deteriorates (usually) over long periods of time.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Carl/Mark,

Wot I call "Muntz_ is called "Minatz" or similar in the instructions. (White Metal.)

(I call it Muntz as that is what I have called it before.... It's horrible stuff.))

Anyway, a couple of photos....

Have an awesome weekend!!

DSC_0887.JPG

DSC_0888.JPG

DSC_0889.JPG

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro