Fokker DR1

Hi All,

Thought i'd give this another go....

I started this in 2003/4, a Hatchette Partworks thingy.

So Engine and the three wings are pretty much done, I have to affix some engine components as the "Muntz," (White Metal,) doesn't take well to CA, so, Epoxy.

Stumbling block, Ailerons…. Had to manufacture my own Aileron tips as the "Muntz" fell apart.

(The whole thing ts large and heavy.)

The kit, (If you can call it that), is comprised of Laser Cut Birch Ply and the afore mentioned "Muntz."

I'm pretty sure I've got all the components/issues so we'll see how it goes....

(Got to get inspired somehow after redundancy!! 😊)

I'll post some photos tomorrow day.

A link if your interested.... http://www.buildafokkertriplane.co.uk/

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Howdy Hof, That is a kick in the guts, yes keep thinking and trying.

The plane might well be a pleasant change, something different to help

get you up and going. With a bit of luck something else will come up for you.

Hooroo Chris

don't feel bad HOF.....I've got a Guillow's Fokker in the closet,  and a list of projects I really should be getting back to.  I need to invest in a good pair of blinders :D ........     look ahead,  my friend  :)    is that a site you created?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Chris/Dennis,

Yup, something to get myself "Back in the groove." 😊

Not my site.... Someone in the UK.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

A few photos....

3 Wings and the Landing Gear "Winglet."

And, one of my three Abyssinian cats, (Or, Stomachs on legs, Anubis), trying to be helpful.

The Upper Wing Aileron Tips created from Brass Wire as the Muntz Metal broke, never mind....

I'll re-attach some of the Engine components tomorrow with Epoxy, CA proves a little fragile....

Cheers....HOF.

DSC_0793.JPG

DSC_0794.JPG

DSC_0795.JPG

DSC_0796.JPG

DSC_0797.JPG

DSC_0798.JPG

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

It looks like an enjoyable build. Every now and then I think of wandering off the reservation

and doing something different. I've had my eye on an old fashioned tram car for a long time.

Hmmmmm.

Edited by Cabbie

I've never built one of these.........only Guillow's / Comet flying planes.   looks like you did a really good job with the wings.   the broke stuff is immaterial..........you can fix it ;)    usually for me........I'll start tinkering with some aspect of the model,  then next thing you know........I'm both elbows into it.  surely there is one aspect in this kit that will be your spark.........keep digging!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks Chris/Dennis,

Once again!!

Words of encouragement are powerful.... Thank you. 😊

So, Sanson is on hold for the mo, God knows why, I love the ships, I guess something a little different.

My doctrine, (Up until a few months ago), was to concentrate on one project at a time, so, breaking with the afore mentioned....)

Off to get a WOF/COF for the Admirals car tomorrow so will have a look at different Epoxies available. (Leaning towards a two part, malleable paste, like strips of chewing gum?) (Mitre 10 Mega Hardware)

The broken Aileron Tips are fixed, bent Brass Wire....

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

This is the on I want to do, as with you Harry I like the ships but this has hold of me.

AArrrrggghhh one of these days, can't justify it but.....

image.png.54924fa7748314a238a590eb33503ba4.png

https://www.modelerscentral.com/model-kits/occre-model-kits/san-francisco-cable-car/

Hi Chap,

I guess go for it!! 😊

I've seen a review or two here on this site....

(Kit reviews.)

I believe there's also a "Diorama" that is available also?

I also understand that there is much painting!!

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

2 hours ago, Cabbie said:

This is the on I want to do, as with you Harry I like the ships but this has hold of me.

AArrrrggghhh one of these days, can't justify it but.....

image.png.54924fa7748314a238a590eb33503ba4.png

https://www.modelerscentral.com/model-kits/occre-model-kits/san-francisco-cable-car/

That is a nice looking model, and I think a reasonable price.  To preface my next statement: we used to have a Labrador retriever who would try to look out of all the windows of our Jeep at the same time which entailed some chaotic bouncing around. Now, when I look at model kit sites and catalogs I want to “build all the kits at the same time” planes, trains and automobiles! Once a model builder always a model builder.

Ron Gove

10 hours ago, pontiachedmark said:

Gidday HOF.

I have come in late. Just curious, what is the scale and finished size of the model?

Wishing you all the best in your endeavours. 

Mark.

Hi Mark,

It's 1/8th scale.

Unsure of the finished size but the upper wing is 84cm (33")

(Its going to be a heavy beastie, the engine is about 250 grams....)

Chris,

Did you see the kit review for the Tram?

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

a little at a time HOF..........no matter how you slice it,  it's progress ;) 

no Cabby.......no admiral you'd have to answer to.........you'd have a conductor instead :D   get the darn kit.....will ya! :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Trying to Epoxy the Aileron Tips to the Aileron Spar.

I guess I'm not patient enough, it's my fourth attempt leaving the stuff to cure for 24 hours....

(48 should do it, hopefully....)

The Ailerons are proving to be a bit of a mission....

(I also missed the "Esmerelda" today, she leaves Wellington tomorrow.... Damn....)

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Esmerelda..........the three masted ship?!?!?! :o

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

14 hours ago, hof00 said:

Trying to Epoxy the Aileron Tips to the Aileron Spar.

I guess I'm not patient enough, it's my fourth attempt leaving the stuff to cure for 24 hours....

(48 should do it, hopefully....)

The Ailerons are proving to be a bit of a mission....

Got to keep the old grey matter working Harry. Glues except pva always seem to be 

a problem to me, can never make super glue types stick.

Do you know if there is an alternative clear glue other than 2 part epoxies or super glues? and still be clear??

Bad luck about missing the ship visit, since I am inland by the time i get to hear about a ship 

visiting they are gone.

I get my CA from the local drug store..........the only other two I use are white glue and Testors.  wish I could help :(

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Chris/Dennis,

Ditched the Brass Spar for the Ailerons and substituted Birch Dowell of the same diameter.

(So much more conducive to CA Stuff.)

So, the Ailerons are built, just waiting for the "Cure." (Much improved and I don't have to wait for days....)

(Upper Wing 35" with Ailerons, whatever that is Metric....)

I need to get some adhesive that will "Strengthen" the joints without waiting for Christmas.... 😞

I saw something in Mitre 10 Mega. (Dennis, We don't have "Drug Stores.")

(Sounds like something that Californians would go to get "Space Cakes." 😊)

Yup,

Missed Esmerelda, Chilean Barqueintine….

I did not realise there was a very dark past associated with a certain General Pinochet.

Anyway, thanks Gentelmans….

One more glass of plonk and I'll tun in.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Still mucking around with Ailerons, I guess that they need to be as good as they can be....

(The Cockpit Controls move the Fight surfaces, or, at least they are supposed to.... 😊)

I'll take a break and affix the Engine components that came off....

(A bit of Epoxy will help.)

Enjoy the Weekend!!

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

From master ship builder to aircraft engineer,  you certainly need need to be multi skilled in this modelling world.

Put up some more photos to give us a look.

And enjoy the rest of the weekend yourself.

Hooroo Chris

Here you go Chap....

Ailerons almost complete.... The Trailing Edges are a little fragile to say the least. I've had to repair more than once.

Reasonably happy with the Aileron "Tips." (Broke one of the Muntz Metal Hinges, so if I can't repair, I'll do 2 Hinges per side.

Engine back together, I'll need to "Wick" some good quality CA around the components and touch up. (Engine diameter 127mm (5"))

Cheers....HOF.

DSC_0799.JPG

DSC_0800.JPG

DSC_0801.JPG

DSC_0802.JPG

DSC_0803.JPG

DSC_0804.JPG

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Its going to be beast when done.

How much of the engine did you assemble?

You know you have to build hanger for it......

then a landing strip.................................................

then a control tower.

Should look very nice indeed.

Cheers Chris

The wing is coming along well.  Then I saw the engine and had to do double take. Super nice work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

look'in good.....are you able to purchase replacement parts?   for a model this large,  it's worth looking into  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi All,

Thanks for your likes/comments, much appreciated.

Chris:

Yup the Engine was assembled from 74 Muntz Metal components, I don't recall how many Partwork, issues, several.... The thing with the Partworks stuff is the first issue is reasonably cheap to "Pique" your interest, the other 99 issues were treble the cost.... (Good  Business strategy/model!!😊)

(I bought a 1/200 Bismark from the same publisher, completed the Hull and stopped after  I bought the Trumpeter version out. I still have all the issues, 140 in all.... One day maybe....)

Dennis:

I don't believe I can source "Back Issues" for spare parts, so to speak, I purchased the original issues so long ago.... (Hence my Brass Wire Aileron tips.)

I did try the publisher, Hatchette, years ago and they were not that forthcoming.

I just need to be more careful/patient cleaning up parts, esp. the Muntz. 😊

The completed model will be just open framework, a little like the Hasegawa 1/8 Aircraft series which I think this was based on. Partworks did provide  Plastic, (Monocoat?), Heat Shrink (Red, Of course), covering material I wont be utilising this.

(I believe that Hasegawa had a fire many years ago and lost tooling moulds for their 1/8  Aircraft series. You can sometimes see these on eBay/Trademe for large sums of money.)

Like the 1/16 Model Airways Aircraft, the control surfaces are supposed to operate from the Cockpit controls. (We'll see how this goes.... 😊)

Trailing Edges on all of the wings, should be wire but the wooden ones are structural components, so stick with them. (Pardon the pun.😊)

Anyway, have a good week.

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson