Mystic Seaport visit during the 2019 NRG conference

The 2019 NRG conference is in New Bedford Whaling Museum this year and it looks like it is going to be a great one.  I am really looking forward to it.  It seems that Mystic Seaport is only 60ish miles away.  I would like to visit it as well when I am up there.  Was planning on getting over there on Sunday after the conference.  Looks like the hours are 9a to 5p everyday.  

I was was wondering if you can “see it all” in that amount of time or is it something needing another day or will I need to pick and choose which parts to see?  There was just another forum topic on the rope walk that is there that apparently is not marked too well and seems very interesting.  Anyone have any other “must see” items?

Mike:

As a NRG donor member, don't forget to use your NRG membership card along with your CAMM pass to get free admission to the museum.

Can't answer the question about seeing it all in one day but there are loads of members here who can tell you.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Kurt I love the CAMM pass, can't wait to use it again :)

One more GREAT benefit for supporting The NRG and MSW

Edited by MEDDO

Council of American Maritime Museums website here.  The pass allows you to enter without the fee.  

Now I just have to find mine.  I haven't used it in a few months.  

CAMM = Council of American Maritime Museums.  The NRG is a CAMM member.  NRG members who join at levels of $100 and up get a CAMM card  which gives them free admittance to all CAMM member museums for the year.  This can save members a lot of money if they frequent maritime museums.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Thank you Joe. That’s what I needed. I’m trying to decide how much time I need to take off of work to do this after the conference. Excited to go in experience it

The NRG had it's conference in Mystic a few years ago and the Thursday tour was of the Seaport.  It pretty much took up the whole day and there was a lot of walking, so plan your time accordingly in case you need to stop for rest.

Mary Van Dahm

NRG Secretary

NRG Office Mgr.

Mary Van Dahm

Thanks Mary.  I was hopefully going to be able to get there early and spend the entire day there.  The Admiral won't be with me so i will be able to move as fast as I need to and be able to linger for as long as I want for any particular display.  I can't wait 😁

Mike:

I hope you have better luck at it than I have had.  I had to work the NRG registration table and be at the hotel for the vendor and model room set up during the NRG Conference day there.  So Sunday, with the conference over was going to be my day to tour the museum.  A half hour before it opened it started to rain so hard walking around there was out of the question - so I got home earlier than planned.

I attended the 2018 annual Joint Clubs meeting of the east coast clubs that is held the last Saturday in April in New London.  Almost next door.  Got to CT on Friday about noon to see Mystic before the Saturday meeting - and it rained the whole day.  Got to walk around a couple of the buildings close to the entrance but there was no way to see the rest of the place. 

So, two trips with very little actually seen.

I hope you have better luck - or have a full set of rain gear along.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS