Trireme Olympias by Richard Braithwaite

Impressive finish Richard; looks great.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Richard, I love a poly finish no matter how nontraditional it might be. IMHO the pluses far outweigh the minuses. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Current stage of varnishing complete. Please to say, none of my fears materialised:

1. The older work didnt look any different from the fresh stuff.

2. I managed to avoid blocking up the threads of all the captive nuts

3. The lightweight structure didnt distort.

Composite image of all the main components after sealing:

image.thumb.jpeg.81da70acf1166934ccafa7028bc95d9d.jpeg

As an aside Ive got myself a new umbrella reflector kit to use for flash photography. It came with 2 umbrellas. These photos were its first outing, so still getting used to it... Im alreadyquite pleased with the "soft" white one which seems to give quite an even illumination (when I point it in the right direction!) with nice soft shadows...

Edited by Richard Braithwaite

On 4/5/2024 at 1:42 AM, Keith Black said:

Richard, I love a poly finish no matter how nontraditional it might be. IMHO the pluses far outweigh the minuses. 

In my case Im building a model of a modern reconstruction of a Greek Trireme (Olympias) rather than a model of a Greek Trireme. Early photos of Olympias sugest it was coated with some sort of Yacht Varnish, which was probably Polyurethane....

But the main reason I used polyurethane was because Ive used it before and Im used to it...

Putting it all back together:

Som images showing how the main units go back together after varnishing.

The main deck unit is placed inside the main hull unit and bolted together using a couple of brass screwdrives I made for the purpose (some of the bolts are quite fiddly to get at now all the seats are in place... The photo shows one of these screwdrivers accessing one of the difficult to get at bolts securing the base stringer.

1Main-Deck-Unit-Installation.thumb.jpg.072a2cdf60d4476143ca6fce68399d70.jpg

I made a couple of "Link Seats" to connect the thranite seats at the aft end of the main deck unit to the ones fixed under the quarterdeck:

2Link-Seat-Installationsmall.thumb.jpg.39887412e75923e1aa36c303bb465336.jpg

Then its a case of securing all 12 Canopy Units:

3Canopy-Installationsmall.thumb.jpg.00783e10114e1c39e745d71d8ee0bfb7.jpg

The assembly with all main units in place:

5Complete.thumb.JPG.697e3859b13e8a1d6d2acbfa6e2e783e.JPG

There are a number of other loose outfit fittings, like ladders to go in:

4Ladder-Installationsmall.thumb.jpg.e4eb2714fbe2653bde76081cc9be1fd3.jpg

Complete assembly takes me about 1 hour at this stage. Hopefully I wont need to take it appart again for some time...

I just found your LOG, really nice ship and looking great. Thank you for sharing.

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

A stunning build Richard; an exemplar of how to build such a model.  I have very much enjoyed this build log so far.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Left planking of the forward and aft platforms until after varnishing the main hull unit, in order to improve access (it was already difficult enough underneath the fixed quarterdeck structure...)

Plan 21, an estract of which is shown below (© Estate of John F. Coates, reproduced with permission) shows the planking of the forecastle planking stopping short of the port and starboard extremities (I guess, because there is no beam for the forward edge of any plank to rest on...). As you can see in the image below, ive gone along with this despite the obvious hazard involved with getting a foot caught up in the gap if the ship rolls at the wrong moment...

Forecastle.thumb.jpg.019e958e31c58dbc165cff4b55309d25.jpg

The aft moogin platform is shown in Plan 23 , an estract of which is shown below (© Estate of John F. Coates, reproduced with permission) together with my interpretation, which has ended up a bit wider at the aft end...

Aft-Platform.thumb.jpg.2be701d47db49979617d3d99bbf27947.jpg

The design of the steering oars is not particularly well defined by the drawing pack (at least the drawings which I have copies of…). The best information is probably on the Stern Profile and Plan drawing (Plan 12), although this only shows one view and does not define the geometry of the tillers. The general Arrangement Drawing (Plan 1) does show another view, in low resolution which does at least help the overall tiller dimensions. Taken together with images of the completed Olympias, these form a reasonable definition of the design for my model (extracts of Plans 1 and 12 © Estate of John F. Coates, reproduced with permission:

Steering-Oar-Design.thumb.jpg.4063ebe56e9d5c33f2befb7af1162182.jpg

The steering oar stocks were originally designed at a diameter of 150mm throughout and the design of the upper and lower bearings shown in Plan 24 sized for this diameter. John must have subsequently concluded that the bending stresses at the lower bearing would be too great and increased the diameter in this area to 180mm as shown in the extract of plan 12 above. The relevant parts of Plan 24 were redrawn to accommodate this increased diameter (Plan 24a). I built my rudder bearings to Plan 24 and so will be building my rudder stocks to a uniform 150mm diameter. It was a long time ago that I did this and Im not quite sure what my reasoning was… Ideally, I planned to build the model to reflect the build state of Olympias at her launch and original sea trials in 1988, but I must admit I have departed from that in some areas and built the model to reflect the design drawings (although even these contradict one another in some cases, as Ive discussed elsewhere in my build log…)

Another post build addition that can be seen in the above photographs is the friction brake (wooden upstands with a leather strap attached to the rudder slot framing on the quarterdeck). Again, I dont have this in my model - at the moment...

My lovely little Unimat 3 is just large enough for me to turn the stocks for the steering oars.

Here is a blank (Lime wood as usual, but a bit denser than used for most of the hull structure)

P4240438.thumb.JPG.0cb9d169ff4cc764d7e7420a6d247b1c.JPG

Ive roughly rounded one end, manually, to fit in my 3 jaw chuck and glued a 12BA brass nut in a recess in the other end to reinforce the center hole (first attempts, without this led to the center point tearing out…)

Here is the blank in position in my Unimat. As you can see I’ve even had to overhang the center point holder on the right hand side somewhat to accommodate the length…

P4240439.thumb.JPG.2c37c4c3c75f82cb1ba7b3ad057ca61a.JPG

Here is the blank turned down to 6mm diameter (150mm at full scale) with on end left square (and reduced in size using my Byrnes table saw – my other favorite tool in my workshop!) to accommodate the slot for the steering oar blade.

P4240437.thumb.JPG.3cc5269c3a73064afe9321c70d166d14.JPG

On 4/14/2024 at 5:43 AM, Scottish Guy said:

I just found your LOG, really nice ship and looking great. Thank you for sharing.

Micha

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

Really wonderful and well executed project.  I cant believe I did t spot it until now.

Ditto here, as well, in not seeing this log previously!  Exquisite work, Richard!  And love your excellent work in posting the pictures with the text attached.  Can I ask what program you are using?  Seems quite technical, but very impressive!  And the work on the ship itself is awesome!  Will continue to follow, if you don't mind... 👍

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

21 hours ago, GGibson said:

Ditto here, as well, in not seeing this log previously!  Exquisite work, Richard!  And love your excellent work in posting the pictures with the text attached.  Can I ask what program you are using?  Seems quite technical, but very impressive!  And the work on the ship itself is awesome!  Will continue to follow, if you don't mind... 👍

The text on the photos above was created in photoshop, which is the progam I use for general photo processing. There are lots of lower cost alternatives available however. Ive even found Powerpoint as quite an effective solution, particularly for lower resolution images where you can simply take a screenshot of the annotated "slide".

48 minutes ago, Richard Braithwaite said:

The text on the photos above was created in photoshop, which is the progam I use for general photo processing. There are lots of lower cost alternatives available however. Ive even found Powerpoint as quite an effective solution, particularly for lower resolution images where you can simply take a screenshot of the annotated "slide".

GIMP is free if anyone is looking for a Photoshop alternative. And it does most of what Photoshop does.