Half Moon by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:40 scale kit

well.........I thought it was going to be a chore to get the bulkheads changed over.     this area is still going to be open,  till I can get the interior stained.   the hardware is going to consist of a pair of tiny hinges {still have to make them}  and some sort of handle.  I'll just tweezer them in place after,  before I do the clear seal coat.   tricky,  but that's how my cookie is crumbling.......so I kinda have to go with it.

thanks for the good word and concern John..........;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks Sherry and Edwin.........yes it is  :)    I hope to make a bit more,  before I go back to the Gothenborg.

I had test fitted the stern rails earlier........I have a serious gap under the rail.   to fill it,   I made up a piece of curved plywood and will later sand it down to match the incline.

post-612-0-59430600-1381545554_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-48089300-1381545567_thumb.jpg

the stern rails are dry........and the curvature is good :)

post-612-0-61254600-1381545634_thumb.jpg

and finally..........the interior is stained at last!

post-612-0-50520400-1381545676_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-24496100-1381545689_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-34849500-1381545699_thumb.jpg

....more good stuff to come soon!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Oooooooh, very nice!

The doors came out quite well - nice having 1:1 plans to work from and they came out quite nice.   The overall stain pulls it all together and looks sharp!!  CAREFUL pulling the sides in,  I had to do the same to some degree and well, now am trying to figure out how to fix an alignment issue on the Mayflower :angry: .    I can't give much advice - but that I can warn ya about since the ships are so much alike.

Really like that color and I normally don't like dark but it is nice and rich and classy!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Hi Popeye,

Everything looks just great !

But when you are missing a whole sheet, can you not send BB an E-mail ?

When I'm missing parts, I send a e-mail to the manufacturer and most of the time they send me the missing parts.

But I think that you don't want to do that, because you love scratch….. :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

thanks Adam!  when I install the post supports for the lower deck,  I will pull it together then.  this way I'll be able to do the entire wall.   I find that there are a few more glue blotches inside than outside...I'll remedy them before it gets the seal coat.  I think that's the coolest thing about our builds........thanks very much for the concern.......but it needs to be done ;)

when I got the kit Sjors,  it was said that I could just use it for junk and spare parts.   bit,  with so much of the kit intact,  I thought "why not build it".......I love the challenge.  it will teach me so much more this way.  thanks for the good word my friend......I'll be back to the shrouds soon :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

SWEET  :)  :)  :)  :)  

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Looking good.  The doors really dress up the ship.  Now for the tweezers work. 

Ah, the problems we give ourselves.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Mobbsie...I appreciate the way you've summed it up  :)  :)  :)

thanks Bob........in layman's terms.......a model builder is a person who has the ability to paint themselves into a corner.......and come out of it smelling like a rose! :D :D :D     I wonder what Bashman would do in a case like this?    thanks for the good word.........we'll have to see in the next episode ;).........same bash-time........same bash-channel  :D :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I know Andy..........once I get this part done,  I will be getting back to the Goth.    thanks for looking in and the good word  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The color looks great, a nice rich tone that really draws the eye. I do like your doors as well, and I love the ingenious use of a couple of glasses to get the bend you needed, I will have to remember that trick for the future!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

thanks Robbyn.......one thing I will add to the glass trick......make sure that they are smooth round glasses,  and not faceted.   they leave marks in the wood.......thankfully they are on the underside of the part ;)     now I have to cut and bend the parts I will need for the cap rails.   I have already pre-bent the main wale boards.......now I need to do the smaller ones.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

with the ship stained,  now is the task of figuring out what I'm going to do about the cap rails,  wales and rub rails.   I first looked at stain.  I went with a dark stain.......to add some contrast

post-612-0-52969900-1381970542_thumb.jpg

nice........but I think it needs something......kind of a reddish look.   I went over this with the Billing's mahogany.

post-612-0-03255000-1381970635_thumb.jpg

still looked kinda dark,  so I switched it

post-612-0-49023000-1381970688_thumb.jpg

then I did a traditional flat black strip

post-612-0-50844000-1381970780_thumb.jpg

lets compare.........left side : mahogany over dark    right side:  dark over mahogany

post-612-0-68152000-1381970901_thumb.jpg

now the black

post-612-0-02147900-1381970925_thumb.jpg

mahogany over dark won........it carried the best redish hue

post-612-0-41942000-1381971024_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-90169600-1381971033_thumb.jpg

I needed two of the 7mm and 4 of the 5mm strips.   this seems to be easier said than done.   while staining them,  I broke three of the 5mm strips.   wet down and bent more strips..........after they were dry,  I stained them and broke two more in the process........set'em up again charlie

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I figured while I was waiting,  I might as well stain the stern cap rails to see what they would look like

post-612-0-28142700-1381971754_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-87842500-1381971765_thumb.jpg

the other ones weren't ready yet,   so I decided to do the starboard side.

post-612-0-76268400-1381971897_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-78680500-1381971909_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-58141900-1381971922_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-48105100-1381971935_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-81472000-1381971948_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Really nice effect with the contrast on those rails, Popeye. :) 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hey Popeye, nice wales, nice contrast!!  Re breaking the strips, could be the grain not being parallel to the run of the strips, I had the same problem.  But you'll get there my friend.

She's really looking very nice, bravo.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Excellent choice my friend.  The contrast is great looking and "classy".

I approve,  carry on :D

-Adam

Current Builds

Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Wow, you seem to just be flying through this build!!! She looks exceptionally good!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

thanks everyone for the good word........when I saw the pictures of them on the ship......I had to keep looking at it, because they look odd.

it's just the pictures.........whewwwwwww! :)

it's the reason why I chose this particular wood Piet........the grain runs in an odd way.   I have a bunch of wood like this.   when I select wood for a build,  I look at the grain {even what they supply in kits},  and make sure.   I have been able to catch these little pho-pars,  if you don't it comes out looking like crap!  ;)   of course,  this is what you get when you rub wood the wrong way :D :D :D

well......I'm not REALLY flying trough it Robbyn.......just getting some progress on her,  before I get back to the Goth :)

now that these rails are on the hull,  I can give her a bit more stain........dulls out any glue marks and darkens the hull........I will try to get a picture in actual light.......using the crane light makes her look too light.  I've added more stain,  and she looks a lot darker.   I wasn't too pleased with it at first.......but now that I have done this,  I feel a bit more at ease with the color.  she's going to look really good with the seal coat..........I hope to be doing that very soon.   few more thing to do yet before that happens though ;)

I really appreciate all your kind words........she's shaping up better than I ever expected.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did a bit more before I gave in to gibb's request last evening.   I cemented in some extra wood for when I cement the stern cap rails in place.........gives more surface area for a better bond.   the pin racks are part of these parts,  so they need to be as strong as possible.

post-612-0-05580100-1382021623_thumb.jpg

this morning,  after my reply.....I thought to bring her into the living room and snap a couple pictures of her in actual light.   pardon the upheaval........but I had to give in to gibbs last night.  lately,  he's taken to goading me into the living room to watch TV....for some reason,  he likes the room,  but doesn't want to be in there alone.   this has been going on for a while now.........the admiral thinks it's real funny.  so,  I go in there and watch TV,  while he lays on the floor {and sometimes on the couch with me},  and chews his whatever they are.  he can be very affectionate........but can get downright ornery,  when he don't get his way.   he knows I'm his  'Alpha',  so I don't get too much crap,  but he can get bossy with the admiral.  he is an American Eskimo,  but I think there is a bit of Pomerainian in him.

post-612-0-47750900-1382022490_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-98381000-1382022521_thumb.jpg

Gibbs though he was getting his way without even trying....... :D :D (I got news for him} :evil:   I got thing to do today.

post-612-0-99398600-1382022958_thumb.jpg

there is some blotchiness,  but before I give her the seal coat,  I'll even it out.   the Billing's mahogany comes in the small bottles.....the same as their paints.   I'm working on my third bottle.........but,  I have back-ups.

post-612-0-55401800-1382023123_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looks real good ! Popeye........

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Looks terrific Popeye!!!

I hate it when the blotchiness attacks!  But if I can even it out I am sure you will have no problem at all!!!!  (not that it really shows that much to begin with ;) )

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

thanks again everyone!   there are a couple more rail to go on yet,  but it give you a better idea of the true color.   I was able to come up with the two 5mm  rails for the port side,   although I did manage to break another one in the process.  as for the broken ones......I'll more than likely find a use for them somewhere......if not,  I'll just sleeve them and save them for another build.   you never know ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: