Half Moon by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:40 scale kit

Great fixes Popeye, and no way should you give up....missing parts are nothing for you, you will just scratch them out and she will be the better for it!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

no.......no giving up Robbyn. ;)    so far, the only scratch has been for the deck platforms.   the hull is planked now......just some shaping left to do.   I may do the top cap rails and rub rails before it's painted and stained.  the inner bulwarks also need to be sanded.  I'm sure there will be a few more bumps in the road.......but it wouldn't be an interesting build,  if there weren't  ;)       thanks for the good word,  and I'm keeping an eye out for that link.........congradulations,  may you have many happy years together.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

the deed is done.........the hull is planked.   not as  'well done'  as I would have liked.....but I have the shape,  and that's what counts.   I did have to use a little filler on the bottom,  but as mentioned,  I'll be painting the bottom,  so it will be unseen.  there is still a bit of sanding to do yet.  then the rub rails,  wales and cap railings can go on.......in between staining the bulwarks and outer section above the waterline.

post-612-0-90748300-1376419937_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-80976900-1376419949_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-43322400-1376419961_thumb.jpg

then she was perched on her stand.......she sits well in her cradle of wood

post-612-0-99652700-1376420025_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-10448300-1376420039_thumb.jpg

the decking and bulwarks survived........they didn't get cracked or broken....well......only one time,  but it was an easy fix.   now to smooth out the contours and get that roundness squared away.....I did it as I went along,  so half the battle is already won ;)

post-612-0-12182400-1376420238_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-88787100-1376420247_thumb.jpg

I was to do this as sort of a diversion from rigging the Goth...........darn thing turned into a tangent.  I still wonder if anyone who has done this ship kit,  experienced this same problem.  I have not heard....but it's of little importance now..........the deed is done ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

you know........I do believe your right Andy.......planking is such hard work....{whewwwwww} :)    once I discovered the problem with the ribs, I guess it took my mind away.....and off on a tangent I flew. ....and I got so drawn into the correction.........your not buying this .....are you?!?!

the hard part is over.......I will get back on task......but first,  it is almost time for supper.   tonight,  I have been given the task to make tacos.  the admiral finds it a bit messy for her taste,  so I do the filler {meat} end of it,  and she does the veggies and cheese.   I do it pretty much the same way as foretold on the taco seasoning packet........but I also add several heaping tablespoons of med heat chunky salsa or picante sause.   once cooked down,  you'd never know I did it...and it pleases everyone......even the one that says he doesn't like spicy hot

.....................................the lightweight!

I shall begin to appease,  soon after the repast.  errrrr,  how are you and the liliputians getting along?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

errrr......no problem Sjors.......I think I conquered that one  ;)  thanks for the good word!   there should be no more problems.....I don't know why I made such an observation........after all.......this is a scratch build kit  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sweet planking, Popeye.  Looks very sharp.   Now I'll head over to your Goth while the glue is drying and see what's happening there.  Save some tacos for the rest of us.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Mark..........oh...man.....I'm feeling rather round right now.  I told the admiral I'd do the dishes....great way to clean my hands  :)

I'll get something on the Goth as soon as possible...capt.  Andy told me to.........orders is orders  :)

hi John......how did you get sandwiched in there?  I looked to make sure I saw everyone ;)   I did some work on the Goth since you've been gone.   I'll be back there shortly  ;)

HAAAAAA!  gottcha Sherry!  thanks for looking in and the good word......it took a bit of doing  {between the kit or me having a brain flatulation......I don't know what was worse}......but there she is.  :) should be smooth sailing from here on!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice job on the planking Popeye, what's up next ????? :omg:  could it be more rigging on the Goth,?..... hope so !! :P

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

She looks great Popeye, you are right, a bit of paint and no one will notice the filler...heck we wouldn't notice anyway if you didn't point it out :P !

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

yes Frank........I cleaned up the table and got the Goth back into position.   got to get that main mast set up so I can do the main stays,  and continue the shrouds.  don't know how much I'll get done........still feel a bit like Hoss Cartwright.  thanks for the good word!  ;)

exactly Robbyn!  still a bit more to clean up......but she's got the shape I was looking for.  thanks for the good word  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, 

Good job on the planking but if you continue with these diversions “I was to do this as sort of a diversion from rigging the Goth...........” , you will have a fleet that all need rigging……  Be carful, be very carful.  :P

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Since when has Popeye been able to stick to just one build at a time. I wish I had the room to have multiples going. If rigging gets boring/tedious, Plank instead. 

There's something about planking. I miss it when now its done... although the deck fixtures is fun also. What you need is a clone, Twin Popeyes, just like the lobster twins. :)

Nice work planking her, Popeye.

What you need is a clone, Twin Popeyes, just like the lobster twins. :)

Nice work planking her, Popeye.

Let's see, the lobster twins, Oh yah, one dressed up for pleasure while the other had to do all the work.

Hey, Popeye, Ya think ya can do that?  LOL

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

good grief........the admiral wouldn't be able to handle it........I think I'm diverse enough.......don't you think!  AK-k-k-k-k-k!  ;)

not to worry about that Bob.......I'm way too far from thinking about rigging the Half Moon.  but yea.....uncovering the problem made it a real freak show.    it's done now....just the messy clean up,  which is half done already.  I can set it aside and get back to what I was doing on the Goth.   gee.........and I had a thought to assemble the gun deck for the United States and plank that....maybe not .....eh...LOL!

you only get twins when you go too far with a build Keith.........or if the subject is salvagable.  in this case,  it was.  that particular type of boat is so versatile,  it could have gone any number of ways.   the admiral has a hard time getting me to dress up........my dress code is pretty simple.......jeans and tee shirt.  if the shirt don't have a pocket, I wraps me smokes up in the sleeve.  I used to be able to differentiate between the two,  but we'd go somewhere........I'd end up doing something or helping out,  and I'd end up dirty.  my signature says it all

"I yam wot I yam.....but there's more: this is me.......there is only one of me,  and I am he.   you two are awesome....thanks for the good words and for looking in........always a pleasure to get a laugh ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow!  The planking came out real good!    So good in fact it made me re look at my mayflower and say to it "that is what YOU are supposed to look like!"   -  see, you made me talk to my boat!   Curse you Popeye!!! :P   (Although it hasn't answered me yet, I think it is shunning me).   I will put your pictures up around it on the desk and shame it into submission!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

gee Adam........don't do that!   you'll make it split a plank laughing...LOL!   thank you,  my friend.......you are like....so kind.  oh dear.....my valley boy is coming out....your comment is like....totally awesome!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Anja........next phase will be soon ;)

post-612-0-62374200-1376515939.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Next phase?  Full moon???  There's a visual for you. post-76-0-81382200-1376527103.gifOr are you talking about the picture and floating the ship off into the twilight?  Yes, I'll go quietly officer...  post-76-0-56995700-1376527099.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I don't think the stern face is big enough for a full monty.......it does look rather bland....how about we spice it up a little:

post-612-0-85135700-1376528756.jpeg

or......I could follow Keith's lead and do this:

post-612-0-39088200-1376528802.jpeg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Au claire de la lune et son ami Popeye :-)

Well done, Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

thank you Popjack,  Ferit,  and Daniel  {mortisha.....you spoke french!},    for the good word.   I appreciate all the positive comments,  even though it didn't go as I would have liked.  but......the shape is there,  and that's what matters......thanks ;)

thank you as well Sjors.........I think I'm down to 13 now.......I'll be there soon  ;)

I did find one more picture that I thought was kinda cool....I wouldn't put this one on the stern though,

post-612-0-64089400-1376611821.jpeg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The original DSotM was actually called Eclipsed as a working title.

All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste
All you feel
All that you love
All that you hate
All you distrust
All you save
All that you give
All that you deal
All that you buy
beg, borrow or steal
All you create
All you destroy
All that you do
All that you say
All that you eat
everyone you meet
All that you slight
everyone you fight
All that is now
All that is gone
All that's to come
And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon.
There is no dark side of the moon really.
Matter of fact it's all dark.