Half Moon by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:40 scale kit

Hi Popeye,

I follow you closely to see what you are doing.

Good that you fix that rail…..

I don't know what Anja has for her Half Moon.

We will see where it ends…

She has now to make the railing so I think I give her a helping end ( If I can find the time )

But keep on going and she can use your Half Moon as a example  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

thanks Dragzz and pygothian.........that's why I didn't mind removing the headboard.  I'm not in the habit of ripping things apart,  only if it can be done without damage.    thanks for the good words.

thanks Adrieke........your so busy now.......nice to see you back to your former self  :)

surely Sjors.......you can spare a few miniutes to help your ladyship :wub: .....you big strong sailing ship builder,  you.   I had a glance at the plans she posted,  but what she has to do slips my mind.   I'll have an update soon.....it's late,  but perhaps I'll post it tonight,  I don't have to work tomorrow {it's 1:20 AM here....it's today}.

thanks Adam......so far,  so good.   I think it's going to work!     It's ALIVE!!!!!!! :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

that didn't take me too long to assemble the pictures for this update :)   now that I have the stern bulwarks back to square one,  I can start over.   OK..........so,  as I mentioned earlier,  I took one of the parts panels that the ribs came from {I cried doing this......just wanted you to know},  and I cut it up........some straight,  and some with a curve to match the bulwarks.

post-612-0-81268000-1382420085_thumb.jpg

seeing that I had put posts under the aft deck overhang,  I continued it up the rest of the bulwark,  sticking up about a half inch above the head board.   I took a measurement of the space between the ribs,  but overall,  I placed them by eye........each one is a step up to match the inclination of the bulwark.

post-612-0-77443000-1382420419_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-46131600-1382420436_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-03452300-1382420451_thumb.jpg

I do see one that is a wee bit too tall......I'll sand it down later.   these are all shaped and contoured to the bulwark.   those that land on a rib post,  is an extension of that post. 

post-612-0-41137500-1382420627_thumb.jpg

the port side is done with this step of the assembly......I waited a while for it to dry.   when it was dry,  I got the starboard side finished and I stained the port side......I'll do the other side in the morning.

post-612-0-07975600-1382420653_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-26381200-1382420830_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Sjors.....the Corel Half Moon uses the narrow cap rails......look to be about 5 mm wide.    they have separate pin rails that cement along the posts........they only show the rib posts.   now I believe she mentioned that she removed the posts.......she could very easily do what I have done here.

I have seen these cap rails on pretty much all the models I have seen.   I have also seen the thick ones that my kit 'had'.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I give her already a helping hand Popeye…..

She is at work and I have the late shift so, I place the first beams for the hand rail……

But there is a different between your Half Moon and her.

She got separate beams with the plank on that and you extending the beams ?

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Your fix looks great Popeye. I may have missed an earlier post, but are you going go with no cap rails at all to follow the pictures of the real deal?

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

that's the plan Patrick.   I posted some pictures earlier of the ship,  and I can't believe I missed it.  oh well......at least I wasn't too far into it.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the admiral just provided me with the quip of the day:

me:   hmmmmm.......I think I need a new piece of sandpaper

admiral:   stuff is still falling off........isn't it?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice fix, Popeye.  Why oh why can't we know all about a boat before we build.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Bob.   yea.....I know.  the worse part is,  is that I've seen these pictures before :D :D    I'm not kick'in the can over it though,  I'd rather find the fun in figuring out the solution,  than get mad at it.   I got my BashMan on! ^_^;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice repair Popeye,........ and you did it without the Dremel :P ... looking forward to your next move........

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Popeye, I am so happy to see that an experienced and seasoned builder as yourself, makes blonde mistakes like me :P . Makes me feel good to know I am in great company! Well fixed too btw!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

now you got me wondering Frank...........what if I did use it?  perhaps a new  'spin'  on things  :D :D :D

glad I could make your day Robbyn.....as I mentioned,  I am no expert :)    it could have been the easiest build in the world.........and all it takes is one mistake ;)   all I can say to anyone who hasn't got a build log up and running........get one going.   the fine folks on this site........and even me {on my good days}........can help you in ways you can't even imagine.   yea,  you may stub your toe here an' there,  but it's what you learn in the process that counts.

I appreciate all those I forgot to answer....there's a few I'm sure..........and also for those who hit the like button.   this build has been interesting...I can tell ya that! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Popeye, :P

beautiful work mate. I agree with Adam, the wood staining is superb.

Looking forward to see more of it.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

thank you Paul....I'm finding it rather neat how I am treating stain.    I'm staining as I go,  using a paint brush to touchup where I sand and stuff.   it's not that much different though.......I paint before I assemble anyway.     thanks for looking in,  my friend......too bad about work keeping you busy..........I miss your fine work ;)     I should have another update soon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I still have a number of post to install........mid ship and fore deck.   the stern decks are done now,  and I was curious how it would look with the rails.   so,  I stained some 3mm strip stock and installed them on the stern.   just before I went to bed,  the cap on the end was cemented on.  it will be rounded up and touched up when it's dry,  as well as the tips foreward towards the mid ship.

post-612-0-51390700-1382555839_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-14022600-1382555851_thumb.jpg

I did manage to shape the three step-downs that the actual ship has........I'm going to have fun trying to do the edge moldings ....hee.....hee

post-612-0-36707900-1382555986_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-86887300-1382555995_thumb.jpg

the posts for the foredeck overhang are installed,  complete with the cross beam and the cap board.

post-612-0-26055800-1382556060_thumb.jpg

one side has been trimmed and shaped.......I did the other side

post-612-0-82475700-1382556159_thumb.jpg

there is to be another section of rails for the step-down section.  what I'm using doesn't take too kindly to being bent sideways,  so I'm just going to go this route.   the posts for this section will be the same height,  with just a very minor step-down.

post-612-0-99425600-1382556368_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-41237300-1382556386_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-93442500-1382556401_thumb.jpg

when these are dry,  I can better show them.  now.......on to the mid ship and fore deck!    I also have a cool idea for the pin racks........I'll do the stern racks and will be able to show you soon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Edwin........just cemented them in place  ;)    when they dry,  I can get a picture of them.   thanks for the good word and looking in  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

certainly a big improvement yo done with the rails :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

I want to know how you do your pin racks so they don't break off when belaying lines. I have been considering what I can do differently than pinning them on my next build so I don't have the problems on it like the SF

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

thanks Andrieke!  I'm sure pleased with them ;)   as mentioned,  on other models,  I see the thinner cap rails......look to be around 5 mm.

even with an overhang,  they ate up the deck space.   these were supplied in the kit, so I went with it.   if it wasn't for Andy and Kester,  they'd still be there.   thanks for the good word :)

there are many ways Robbyn.....for deck rails,  the best method is to fit thin dowel in the bottoms of the posts and drill holes in the deck for them....you can even use brass rod.   for locating them on the bulwarks......it's hard to do the dowel pins if you don't have posts to locate them on.  so, I used another idea that I like to do......knees.   I've done the mizzen pin rails.......I have to do some dishes {the admiral has been baking}.........when I come back,  I will post the pictures of what I did today.   you'll find it very easy to do......may be something you might want to try.    I'll be back.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

it is a bit funny that you ask that question Robbyn........just so happened that I did the stern pin racks today......I was equally as curious as to how they would fit into all this.   rather than make a whole new pair for the masts,  I'm just going to modify the cap rails....no sense wasting them.  they were cleaned up,  cut up,  and sanded to shape.

post-612-0-71078600-1382568116_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-66566000-1382568124_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-97019300-1382568133_thumb.jpg

fitting them in place,  meant to cut slorts for the posts,  so they would fit against the bulwarks.

post-612-0-07033000-1382568200_thumb.jpg

of course there is no support for them,  so I made up a batch of knees.   this is simply just planking material,  cut square according to width,  and then cut in a diagonal fashion.

post-612-0-23757100-1382568350_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-14551700-1382568367_thumb.jpg

they are cemented in place so they will rest against the posts.  after thay are dry,  the entire assembly is sanded and trimmed,  and then touched up with stain.   I did finally remove the clothes pin clamps from the step-down rails....here is how it look now.

post-612-0-99082300-1382568381_thumb.jpg

I have done most of the posts for the port side mid ship.

post-612-0-15796600-1382568545_thumb.jpg

and I also did some of the posts for the fore deck.  the two front posts will need to be removed.....I have done this with another pair further back....at the stern.   this way,  I can install a full post.

post-612-0-40882000-1382568673_thumb.jpg

when the pin racks were ready,  I installed them.   one of them gave me a bit of trouble,  so I had to prop the ship up in a strange way so it would stay in place,  until it dried.   now that it has had time to set,  I can set her back in her stand.

post-612-0-40368700-1382568800_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-38431700-1382568812_thumb.jpg

I will be doing this for the other two sets.........the knees are almost invisible {not that they need to be}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks for the good word sherry.   on the San Felipe,  the knees can be made longer,  so that they can be located along the side of the posts,  butting up against the bulwark wall.   I haven't seen these plans,  but I'm guessing that is how the inner bulwark walls look.   some kits even show this being done in their assembly to the bulwarks.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow! It's looking fantastic, I love the colour, and your workmanship is making me envious.

Cheers

Rowan

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

don't why you felt bad Andy.......you just pointed out the obvious,  and Kester confirmed it.   thanks to the both of you :)    the sad thing is,  is that the solution was so easy to figure out and do........it makes the direction I was going to go look unthinkable.   I saw your signature...when is the kit coming? ;)

thanks John...........I just did the work........Andy and Kester lit the pilot :D :D :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: