Half Moon by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:40 scale kit

thanks Michael.....good 'ole american beer took care of that ;)   I'll be back here shortly.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hey what happened??? ....... you got promoted ?  Well, "CONGRATULATIONS" Popeye, now you can sit at the round table with Augie

and Sjors....... not bad company at all :P  :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hey what happened??? ....... you got promoted ?  Well, "CONGRATULATIONS" Popeye, now you can sit at the round table with Augie

and Sjors....... not bad company at all :P  :P

Frank

Except Augie was sick, Sjors is sick (poor guy :( )... So where does that leave Popeye? Cowering in the corner with a surgical mask on? :P

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

mmmfmuif,  {takes mask off}  yepper Andy,   looks like I'm donning the mask a bit longer...Sjors had to go and find the resistant strain.

thanks for the congrats......glad my work week is over ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

It's always nice when you talk to someone with a mask…….

I can better wear that thing  ;)

Can someone bring me a cup of coffee?????????

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

.... naaaaa ......

until now I had been missing this thread! And I had been missing also the upgrade to commodore. A great :cheers: !!!! (and a lap of keel for me)

The building looks really good. Only a dubt: you made the covering of the bulkheads with vertical strips but, usually, they're horizontal ....

Cheers

Alex

Edited by Foremast

If any of you cry at my funeral, I'll never speak to you again! (Stan Laurel)

I'm pulling for you Sjors........hoping you can find some relief ;)

hello Alex.   it took me a moment to figure out what you meant....when I did,  I felt like such a dur.    I followed the plans...that's the way they show them

post-612-0-64416300-1376995858_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-06661700-1376995872_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-17963800-1376995885_thumb.jpg

they are all like that........the relation between the walls {bulkheads} and deck are done in two different shades of Annegre {two variants of mahogany}.   to look at them now,  it's hard to see the difference.  I have to stain the bulwarks and the outer hull....staining the deck and bulkheads at this stage is going to be hard to do,  so I will do them as well.  I hope the different shades stand out.   redoing them would be a pain at this point......trimming to fit the bulwark edge,  and of course,  the close quarters.......I think it's best to leave them as they are.

I need to scratch make the doors....parts missing in the kit.  everything seems to hinge now on getting the hull stained and painted,  so I still have some work to do yet,  till then.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Half Moon is a Dutch ship, more flute than a gallion, and was common - in these vessels - to make horizzontal covering of the bulkheads. It was common, in general, for all vessels of the XVI-XVII century. I post a couple of pictures of the replica to show that, and there's a suggestion for colour and fore door ;) ...

You're right: leave what you have done, so. None of us was there, in the XVI century, to see that ship :P

Chhers Alex

photos by topfoto.co.uk (first) and flickr.com (second)

post-1226-0-62873400-1377002771.jpg

post-1226-0-94748000-1377002794.jpg

Edited by Foremast

thanks for that bit of information Alex.........clearly shows my lack of knowledge of these types of ships,  and how plans can be incorrect.

while I am staining the hull,  I will look into correcting this.........this seems to be too big of a discrepancy to leave.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Just like Mayflower. The same period. Sometimes the plans are tricky. I had to add more details to my Santa Maria. But this forum is great to have an extraordinary support. Regards, Paweł

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Roar Ege 1:25, Billing Boats

Albatros 1:55, Constructo

Santa Maria 1:50, Mantua

Hi Popeye,

I was going upstairs for you ( I need breath now ) to take a look at Anja her Half Moon and there are those planks horizontal.

Only….no doors  :D

Maybe to much work for Corel to place them?

We also have a book about the Half Moon and on none of the drawings, I find a door…...

Or the replica is different or the book.

It's just what Alex is saying, we where not there on that time.

So do what's the best and what you like !

Hi Popeye,

I was going upstairs for you ( I need breath now ) to take a look at Anja her Half Moon and there are those planks horizontal.

Only….no doors  :D

Maybe to much work for Corel to place them?

We also have a book about the Half Moon and on none of the drawings, I find a door…...

Or the replica is different or the book.

It's just what Alex is saying, we where not there on that time.

So do what's the best and what you like !

I think the replica surely needs a door for ... the customers who pay a fee for a voyage on it ! Ancient sailors surely got a different care. :D

Anyway, in Dutch flutes there was usually a door but beneath the aft castle, not beneath the fore castle. It was usually open, under the fore deck, but kit manufacturers prefer to keep it closed to simplify the work to modellers: if we think to all things that could be there (knees, beams, stays, anchor devices, ...) we can understand the reasons of this choice.

Because of the little height of the first aft upper deck, the aft door was usually higher than the deck, which had a typical rounded shape. In this case, a middle-way between flute and gallion, I think it's better to follow BB instructions and really think that we weren't on the shipyards of that era to control the shipwrights' work ... and our shipmaster Popeye have been doing an excellent model.

Cheers

Alex

I really don't think they were either Alex......I guess we'll have to rely on the law of probability

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Well, my most humble apologies.. Commodore!  I was away in the woods with the wife and some friends, beer, lawnchairs, beeftips and my guitar while the great promotion went through.  So you are over there.. at that :P table now.   Congratulations to you sir! :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

-Adam

Edited by SkerryAmp

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

I thought of that John.......it's insuring that they butt up against the bulwarks,  that concerns me.   when I do the stain work,  I'll try it out.

great minds think alike....huh?    although,  if I had a great mind,  I wouldn't have done it this way in the first place.......LOL!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Congratulations, Commodore Popeye, Sir!  ;) Super smooth planking work, Popeye, she's a real beauty :) 

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

still the ground work so far........can't wait to get some color on her....  thanks for looking in aldo!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 weeks later...

having pointed out the problem with the cabin bulkheads....it left me scratch'in my head,  as for an easy way to do this.  I then thought about the parts panel I have put away.   I got them out and laid them on the table......between looking at the plan diagrams and the panels,  I figured out which one has the cabin bulkheads.

post-612-0-53936100-1378441638_thumb.jpg

this can also serve as sort of a tutorial.....I keep these panels for a number of reasons.  they are good to have in case a part needs to be replicated,   in the event you need to make a part from  'like'  material,  and for some of the shapes they have,  they can be used to ease the scratch making of parts for other ships.  in addition to all this,  they can be used to trace out the parts for other hulls,  and scratch build the rest.....outfitting it as you see fit.  I've made two hulls already.

post-612-0-36116000-1378442064_thumb.jpg

in the box,  I have the panels for the Boulogne Etaples,  the lobster boat,  the AmericA,  and the Gothenborg.  I have another box stashed away which has the Mary Ann,  and the Regina {I want to make one of these hulls}.  I have just about every panel from the ships I've done,  except for the Nordkap and the Cux {which is the same hull as the Mary Ann}.   on a piece of paper,  I drew out the ribs and measured the height of the bulkheads.

post-612-0-86181100-1378442421_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-75442400-1378442431_thumb.jpg

starting at the stern transom,  the planks were cut and shaped,  so they would fit flush with the bulwarks.   I used my archive pen to simulate the calking.......not sure if this was a good thing to do,  but to me it looks good,  so I went with it.

post-612-0-43568500-1378442637_thumb.jpg

after it was dry,  it was trimmed and sanded to shape.....the second level bulkhead was done next.

post-612-0-86480100-1378442724_thumb.jpg

the top plank for this one needed to be trimmed as well........there are small appatures that needed to be allowed for.   the bow bulkhead was done next.

post-612-0-60915000-1378442841_thumb.jpg

the two main deck bulkheads are going to be a bear to do,  because they are recessed under the decks.  I also found that I had forgotten to draw out one of them.   I'll get to them for the next update.

post-612-0-30631100-1378443103_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-27561500-1378443115_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow your moving fast.  And as always looking great.  I think I've said it before but I really like the lines of this ship. 

Holy smokes....you're in warp drive!

Just one thing on that archive pen.  I don't know what kind of finish you're planning but test it on a sample 'caulked' plank to make sure  nothing strange happens.  I think my memory is telling me I've screwed something like this up.

Yup --- old plans, templates and spare wood.......the modeler's treasure chest :D  :D :D  

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

What a good fixing!

For the inside panels, perhaps you can make them so: first pasting wooden strips on a card sheet; then drawing the correct shape on the reverse side of the sheet, than shaping the panel in its correct form, in the end pasting the whole new panel on the old one. It's better to keep a bit abundant the sides and shape their edges little by little with sand paper or a file.

Cheers

Alex

the  'well almost'  John is going to be these last two..........I just hope the frustration is small enough,  enough to keep it from becoming a 10 min heat source ;)  {I'd say 15 mins,  but that's giving it too much credit}

thanks Daniel........did a  'hare'  just run past me?    the real lines are going to come from fitting the top rails on the bulwarks.  Billing's isn't too clear as for how to do this,  so I'm going to have to get creative.   I'm not real keen on the material that they are made of....very stiff plywood.

I haven't had too many problems from using this pen Augie.........of course the laws of probability,   probably hasn't reared it's ugly head at me yet.   I think that by the time I do get to the point of applying stain,  it should be long dried.  I still have those last two to do yet.......I had better get on with the Gothenborg though,  before you know who really gets mad at me  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

yepper.......that's what I'm doing Alex ;)   I leave them just a tiny bit longer,  so I can fit them flush to the bulwarks.   when I do the calking, I don't get any on the ends,  so they will blend in better.  I'm so glad I was told about this....this soon into the build....I never even thought about it {well' not much actually} ;)

I saw this in the plans........I wasn't too keen on the deck and the bulwarks going in the same direction........but that's the way the plans said and that's what I did.  I should have followed my vision instead.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks for the pictures Popeye  :D  :D  :D  :D

It looks great and a very nice fix !

Now I understand why Anja have so much problems with her Half Moon.

I have to help her so she can go further with her Half Moon.

I wouldn't blame anyone John......if I come across a problem.......it'll be because I bore down too hard with the paint brush  hee....hee!

yes they are keith.....they are made of plywood.   there are some rather significant bends I'll need to make.  what I'm going to do is sub in some basswood.........cut to shape,  get it wet,  and bend it in a jig {which I still have to make}.  but all this will come later,  so I still have plenty of time to set all this up.  I need to get through with redoing the cabin bulkheads,  staining and painting.  I plan to stain everything, deck and all........there are enough hard to reach places already,  without adding the cap rails into the mix.   there are also areas that need paint.   I don't throw anything away.

you never know if they can be used on another build or something ;)

I miss watching Anja's progress........I thought of her when I started this project.  she sent me some wonderful information.......but I found more on my own.  I plan on doing her like the picture a few pages back.   I'll see if I can get the decal maker to do those designs.  the rub rails alone will look really cool.......I have ideas.   trouble is........I have to get there first!  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent fix on the bulkhead planking, Popeye, and very nice and clean deck planking Sir B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo