Half Moon by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:40 scale kit

thanks Aldo......still more to do yet....hope to have an update on her soon ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looks great Popeye- the "fix" doesn't show except that it looks real good.  And I echo the sentiment on the cleanness of the decking.

Crisp!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

thanks Adam......I should be back at it shortly.  I still haven't found the string I've been using for the dead eyes and running rigging on the Goth.....I'm hoping soon........before the hobby stores switch gears.   who ever heard of flying a kite in a snowstorm?  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Flying a kite in a snowstorm is cold work I would think. Your Half Moon is looking great!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

hee.....hee.......would make for some great excercise though ;)   found some string like it,  but it's like the next size up.  I'll save it for larger builds.  I think I'll have better luck at the dollar stores........I mentioned the string on my Goth build ;)   thanks for looking in and the good word....I hope to have some progress soon ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about this the other evening,  after I had finshed what I was doing on the trawler.   I have the wales for her already to go,  but I couldn't decide whether to stain the hull first,  or just throw caution to the wind.           sooooo...........

I finished sanding the hull.......I didn't have much to do.

post-612-0-91308700-1381107155_thumb.jpg

then I used the Billing's Mahogany stain.........

post-612-0-72389400-1381107209_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-17203600-1381107219_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-64508000-1381107226_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-14333300-1381107234_thumb.jpg

when I get the other cabin bulkheads done,  I will stain the interior of the ship

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

OOooh, now that is a nice rich stain color.   Like it!!     You said that was billings?  I havn't found too many stains that I really like the colors always seem to light or too dark; but never thought to try some of the hobby stains out there.   That there color - SUCCESS!!! :D

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Beautiful finish to her, she will look stunning as per your usual work I am sure!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

thanks Adam  :)      you see......I am in a much different dilemma with my wales.   I want to paint them a darker color before i put them on,  but I was also curious about this stain......I've never tried it before.   it looks a bit on the red side......but I am pleased to see the glue blotches are very few.  as I had mentioned on your build.....the hull would not have a uniform appearance.....weather and  'patchwork' would have a lot to do with this.   the wales may even hide some of them ;)   thanks for the good word :)

thank you Robbyn...... this is a bold step.   the last time I stained a ship,  I ended up renaming her.   I think that this one though,  will be good  I have to bite the bullet and start somewhere  ;)     thanks for the good word.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Planking looks just great....and the color makes her POP!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Wow! that is one very clean looking planking and staining work Popeye, she looks a treat! B) 

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Popeye, the stain looks great on her! I like the color and didn't realize that Billings had a line of stains also.

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I don’t remember the trawler having such a high stern, and I thought it was already painted.  What did you do?   :(   :huh: 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

oh....crap!!!!  I put that structure in the wrong ship!!! :D :D :D :D    you would have to read the goings on in  SkerryAmp's mayflower log to get an idea of what I was thinking.   I wanted to do the wales,  but I don't want them done in this color.   I also have a bit of painting to do,  but was unsure how to go about it.  so,  I took the bull by the horns and did it.......now I don't have to worry about glue blotches from the wales and rub rails.   I need to finish the last two cabin bulkheads {change the direction of the planking},  before I can stain the interior. 

you should have seen the mess I made......in the first picture,  you'll notice a cap on the table.......it's from the bottle of mahogany stain.  I stirred it to be sure it was mixed.   folding up a rag,  I held it loose to the bottle,  so the stain could saturate the cloth.   it did alright.....it went all over my table!!!!   so,  as I was staining the hull........I was sopping up the excess on the table.  then the admiral tells me that it was 11:00PM.......I should be asleep by now..........wake up is at 3:30 AM.   made for a very interesting work day ;)

so,  for now the trawler is off the table,  but there are a few things I can do in between everything else.   I want to do a little on the Half Moon......but I also want to get back to the shrouds  {Sjors will get mad at me if I don't}.  so much to do...

thanks randy for the good word....I always wondered what the Billing's mahogany looked like ;)  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I finally got those recessed cabin bulkheads corrected........and yea......it wasn't easy.   it went quickly though......and that was a plus,  dispite having to sand them to shape and all.   using the templates I traced earlier,  the aft bulkhead planks were cut.

post-612-0-16678000-1381405436_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-61080300-1381405446_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-92499300-1381405460_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-79306100-1381405471_thumb.jpg

this one was made a bit easier,  because of the opening in the deck above,  trading the plank from one tweezer to another.   then,  the fore bulkhead.........

post-612-0-85158900-1381405781_thumb.jpg

the two on the bottom have already been shaped a little.   the top plank needed to have 1mm removed from the width.

post-612-0-55785000-1381405980_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-32859800-1381405997_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-23193700-1381406016_thumb.jpg

now I can stain the interior.  from there,  I can the support posts for the aft deck,  cap off the ends of the upper decks {to hide the ends of the plywood platforms},  and install the cap rails.

post-612-0-05061600-1381406400_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Feels like I'm standing right there on her deck Popeye :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Very nice Popeye - love the lighting on those shots through the grate.  Makes the quality of the work stand out.

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

let's hope your vision as better than my camera :D :D :D    thanks a bunch!  ;)

thanks Adam.......just a perk from the position of the lamp ;)    now that the corrections are done......I can move on

thanks for the good word Augie and Adam  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good.  I knew you could do it.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

nice Popeye, ........ everything looks ship shape, like your color choice on the stain........ I know the feeling when you spill whatever it is your using on the table, good thing I use a work bench , man I've tipped over many paint bottles, that's why I'm trying out tube acrylics, so far I 'm getting to like them .I bought some Jo Sonja artists colors, they are a matte acrylic lay real smooth and flat..... I think they have some stains also, might give those a try , anyhow your build is looking real good keep up the good work!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks Bob......yea,  it was a feat trying not to get glue ooze on the planks ;)

thanks as well Frank......you use that paint too huh?!?   I have a friend on another site that has been experimenting with Jo Sonja and Chroma paints on plastic.  he's proven {believe it or not} that it is doable :)   other parts that are not in the kit,  are the doors for the cabin bulkheads.  I've made some.....what I'm working on at the moment.   a bit more progress here.......and I'll head back to the Goth

thanks for the good word Bob and Frank  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You don't have problems Popeye, you just have setbacks, and boy do you know how to deal with them, Great fix mate.

Love the colour, I also wasn't aware that Billings had stains, was that a single coat or did you have to apply several coats ?.

Your ding a fantastic job on her mate, keep it up.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

The bulkheads look really great Popeye. The Half Moon is really shaping up.

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

thanks to all for your kind words.   I have been working on the doors for the bulkheads........should be finished with them today.  I can then do the stain job to the interior and begin on the cap rails.  that will be a cool feature....I hope  :)

hello Alex!   nice to see you.......hope to see more on your fine build ;)

thanks John......it really wasn't that bad.....that will teach me not to follow what my initial thoughts were.  I should have done this in the first place  ;)

thanks Mobbsie......yea,  there really isn't any difference......problems VS setbacks.  I've read a few logs where folks knock the kit for these inconsistancies....sadly,  some even end up being scrapped,  because of them.   this kit is already missing a few parts.......it already suffers it's own handicap.....not an impossible task for  "Bash man" :)   

the Billing line of paints aren't that old........they've had 'em for a few years now.   they also have the metallic paints as well....copper,  silver,  and gold..........they are unique,  because they don't have the luster that Testor's paints do.   it's a nice antique look when they are fully cured.   as for stains,  the only one is the mahogany stain,  that I know of.   so far,  this is only one application,  but after the interior and cap rails are done,  it will get a second application,  and then sealed.   I'm not concerned with the archive pen calking,  by the time I get around to doing the clear finish,  it should be long dried and won't become solvent.   the hull work still has a way to go yet.

thanks Patrick..........so far........so good  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the doors as I mentioned,  are missing in the kit........an entire sheet of parts is missing.   the rigging sheet is 1:1 with the model,  so I was able to trace the doors from the over view diagrams,  on the other side of the sheet.

post-612-0-47436500-1381533701_thumb.jpg

I cut them out from a left over piece of 1/16 flat stock.

post-612-0-48142300-1381533792_thumb.jpg

I made a couple of extra,  so I can select the better of them.   there are two large doors and one small one......they were sanded and shaped.   I intend to cover them with .5 X 2mm strip Annegre.   the edges will be penned in.

post-612-0-66155600-1381534013_thumb.jpg

once they were done,  they will be trimmed and sanded.   the outer edges will be done with the archive pen,  and given the dark mahogany bars.

post-612-0-09860800-1381534194_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-08560900-1381534206_thumb.jpg

I took a couple of miniutes and used the scroll saw to cut the posts for the lower aft deck.   there needs to be a beam along the underside of the deck......there is a noticeable curvature of the deck lip.  it will also need to be pulled together......the walls sort of splay outward.

post-612-0-72324200-1381534475_thumb.jpg

the doors were cemented in place...when the interior is stained,  they will be stained as well.  then I can put some hardware on them then.

post-612-0-19469300-1381534667_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-60410900-1381534692_thumb.jpg

in preparation for the cap rails,  the stern edge needs to be shaped with a curve.   the ends were wet down and wedged between two glasses and allowed to dry.

post-612-0-11533400-1381534848_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: