From the Pacific Nortwest

PopDavid

Hello All

I am a long time model maker returning to the stash of kits and started models I have accumulated for my retirement.  My first memory of model building is when I got a Revell trio of warships for Christmas when I was nine.  The carrier "Franklin D Roosevelt", some battleship or cruiser and a pt boat.  This was before every pt boat had to be the PT 109.  I had a wall mounted peg board of plastic ship to move when I was twelve.  It survived that.  In my teen years I turned to trains, girls, life, etc.  I started my first plank on bulkhead model, a Billings "Bluenose", while I was in the navy in the late 60's.  Moved that hull to Bermuda, where I realized, I could not safely ship a rigged model back to the states.  Build and shipped a 16 foot cuddy cabin outboard boat instead.  Finally finished and cased the "Bluenose" ten years later (1980's).  I did a number of RC boats, good and Dumas, thru the years with some scratched builds included.  Most successful of these was a little pusher air-screw sled from "Model Boat" magazine.  Now have four grandsons, still interested in trains, my 1.7 scale GP38-2 comes in time for Christmas (again) and have three false keels with bulkheads   in various stages laying on my bench.  I have stuck on a picture of my last scratch built boat (purchased blocks and other bits) for entertainment purposes.  My answer to 'how did you do that?" is always 'one stick at a time'.

Ok, big sticks.

"

on crane.jpg

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

My only question is why lift it so high? Trying to fly out over the trees?

Welcome aboard Dave from a fellow Pacific Northwesterner.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I have heard of building so big that it would not get through the garage door but never having to lift it over the house. Next time build it in the front yard!:D The neighbors will have to start calling you Noah. After all we live in the PNW EVERYONE knows it is supposed to rain here a lot!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hi David.

Welcome to MSW from another PNW but in the south part.  :P

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

but in the south part.  :P

REBEL............................... :rolleyes:

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

18 hours ago, lmagna said:

I have heard of building so big that it would not get through the garage door but never having to lift it over the house. Next time build it in the front yard!:D The neighbors will have to start calling you Noah. After all we live in the PNW EVERYONE knows it is supposed to rain here a lot!

I was called Noah!  Now my grandson is named Noah.  It would not have fitted in the front yard, plus the evil empire (city of Portland) would have seen it.  That is the mast on the right hand edge.  50'  The house in the upper left was built in my original exit route.

img001.jpg

Edited by PopDavid

From another PNW'er to you, huge welcome to our group.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

4 hours ago, PopDavid said:

The house in the upper left was built in my original exit route.

So it was not a case of poor planning, just slow building! Your neighbor got his house done before you got your boat built.:stunned:

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

18 hours ago, lmagna said:

REBEL............................... :rolleyes:

Damn Yankee... but I'll drink to your health anyway.  party.gif.80d4a780b6b2228c018048c498929c63.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

26 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

but I'll drink to your health anyway

Yeah that would be cool from this end too. Now that we have an excuse to get drunk we need to find the time and place.:(

Turns out that you live closer to David than I do! 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Yeah that would be cool from this end too. Now that we have an excuse to get drunk we need to find the time and place.:(

Turns out that you live closer to David than I do! 

Mark can pick you up.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

9 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

The only problem with that is that Mark lives about 350 km (+-) from me while he practically lives in David's back yard. Plenty of room there now that the boat is gone.  

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

21 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

OC.

Hmm... Portland is about 250 miles as the highway wanders.   Big storm rolling in tonite and tomorrow through Weds. and roads may be a mess until Friday....  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Hmm... Portland is about 250 miles as the highway wanders.   Big storm rolling in tonite and tomorrow through Weds. and roads may be a mess until Friday....  

Just me causing trouble  - whitling man leaves room gently backwards.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Big storm rolling in tonite and tomorrow

The news talking heads are already lined up on the dark roads with their coats gathered up around their ears forecasting gloom and doom and the sky is going to fall! They are now showing that everyone should be carrying a folding shovel in their car and blankets/rations just in case. That probably means we will have a dusting in the morning that will be gone by 10am!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

3 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Ezekiel is coming to torment you ! :D:o;)

He will have to stand in line. The torment season in my house has already started. Getting everything just so for the annual holiday visit by the kids is in full swing. Cleaning eating areas, (Meaning the elimination of any model working areas) shampoo the carpets, Clean up my reading/research area, etc etc etc. There are four people in this house, you would think that the other people would have to at least stash their activities for the season too.  

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I'm not going to like that, Lou.  All that hard work before and after.  Push the button that it's time for the kids to take turns doing Thanksgiving.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

15 hours ago, mtaylor said:

it's time for the kids to take turns doing Thanksgiving.

Don't I wish!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey