2020 NRG Conference

2020 NRG CONFERENCE
October 15, 16 & 17, 2020
CANCELLED
WILL BE HELD IN 2021

The Nautical Research Guild is pleased to announce the 2020 conference to be held in conjunction with the Channel Islands Maritime Museum. The conference will be held October 15, 16 and 17, 2020 at the Channel Islands Maritime Museum 3900 Bluefin Circle, Oxnard CA 93035. The Museum is located in the Channel Islands Harbor about 50 miles north of Los Angeles.

maritime1-900x450.jpg.b9be6f826e64f06215dce58cc842b5d0.jpg

Collections at the Museum consist of seascape and marine art from the early 17th to the mid-19th century featuring such artists as Van de Velde the Younger. A large model collection with over 50 models is on display including one of the largest prisoner of war and bone model collections in the country. See the following links to learn more. https://cimmvc.org/old-site/paintings    https://cimmvc.org/old-site/models

museum.jpg.7aa61d6cdc75e4c0d2723c5d87540658.jpg
The exact conference schedule is still being finalized but a tour is being planned for Thursday, modeling subject speakers and round-tables on Friday, social hour and banquet Friday evening. Saturday will feature general subject speakers and Nautical Research Guild membership meeting late in the afternoon. Lunches will be furnished Friday and Saturday.

Please note that all events of this conference including registration will be held at the Museum.

The selection of hotels in the area consists of resorts and smaller chain hotels. The lower priced hotels are too small to handle a group of our size. The larger hotels are all resorts and thought to be too expensive for some of our members.

For these reasons there is not a designated Conference hotel.

A downloadable list of area hotels is provided on the website for your convenience. The hotels are listed in descending order of the closest hotels first.

A group of attendees including most of your directors will be staying at the Embassy Suites.

The museum is providing a space on the main floor of the museum for us to display our models. Space is limited, first come first serve, so register early. Models not preregistered can not be accommodated. Models will be shown at the owners risk but will be in the same area as the museums models and the museum proposes to have docents in the area to watch over models. It is highly recommended that all models be in a display case.

There may be a space on the main museum floor for vendors. If you wish to display as a vendor please contact Mike Lonnecker NRG Director and conference chair.

The nearest airports are Los Angeles (LAX), Santa Barbara (SBA) and Burbank (BUR). LAX is approximately 70 miles from the museum. There is no regular airport/shuttle service to this area.
Further details, a detailed schedule and registration forms will be will be posted and emailed as they finalized.

There is plenty of free parking at and around the museum.

The NRG Conference Committee
Mike Lonnecker - NRG Director
2020 Conference Chair

Edited by kurtvd19

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

We have visited that museum twice, all are in for a really great experience and time. Just a fantastic place to see and explore.

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Hmm.. 11 hours one way.  I want to but do I dare?   Haven't been to Oxnard in maybe 50 years.  Seems about time.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

9 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I want to but do I dare?

It would get you out of the apartment and a chance to see what the world has become in the last 50 years Mark. It would be 18+ hours for me plus any traffic. Lots of radio time,(See joke entries).

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 2 weeks later...

This is really exciting. Mrs. Cathead and I love the Channel Islands and have done some great multi-day hiking there in the past. We're strongly considering attending this year and combining the conference with a lots of time out on the islands. Also falls pretty close to our anniversary, all the better.

• 1 month later...

The conference reluctantly had to be cancelled due to the COVID-19 virus.

We have confirmed with the museum and we will be rescheduling on (approximately) the same dates in 2021.  Venue will be the same and the speakers we had confirmed are all on board for 2021.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Mike:

As a NRG member you should have received an email last week - a constant contact email with other news too - about the cancellation.  I was just reminded to make the announcement here - forgot about it totally with all the rest of the stuff happening.  Like the Manitowoc cancellation.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Huh, I don't think I got that email. This was the first I knew of, though I was expecting something of the kind. We were strongly considering going, so hopefully it'll work for us in another year. Definitely the right decision under the circumstances. Thanks for getting the word out, Kurt.