Now hear this! Regarding Third-Party Hosting

Ahoy, mates!

As a reminder, please do not use off-site hosts for images that you use in your posts. Doing so can potentially cause two problems. First, the hosting site may have protection protocols in place that do not allow your images to be seen at our site; these protocols can adversely affect the functionally of MSW. Second, if the off-site host goes belly-up, or if you terminate your account with them, your links at MSW will be dead, which rather limits their usefulness.

We have plenty of image-hosting capability on-site here, so the best way to share your images at MSW is to directly upload them to MSW.

Any posts made here that link to off-site hosts may, out of necessity, be taken down without notice.

Thanks for your cooperation!

While I’m not exactly thrilled (especially since I set up a self hosting platform a week or so ago 🙂), I’ll try to make the switch. I assume this is accomplished by adding attachments when I’m creating a post? 

8 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

While I’m not exactly thrilled (especially since I set up a self hosting platform a week or so ago 🙂), I’ll try to make the switch. I assume this is accomplished by adding attachments when I’m creating a post? 

That's correct!

Dead simple to use. Easier than copy/pasting links from 3rd-party hosting sites.

James, would it be helpful to clarify MSW's expectations for three types of images: (1) your own, (2) not your own but public domain or you have right of use, and (3) not your own and you don't have right of use?

This post seems aimed at (1), i.e. not using something like Photobucket to link your own photos into MSW. But many people may confuse this with (2) and (3), thinking that they can download some image from the internet and then upload it onto MSW. For (2), does MSW want that to happen or should people still link to the original photo's source. For (3), this should not be done but that isn't stated clearly here.

Maybe this is pedantic, but given the confusion out there about copyright and related issues, it would seem useful to be as clear as possible.

No, what I'm simply saying is that when you want to insert a photo within your post/topic, and definitely within your build logs, it just makes more sense to attach/upload them when you are making your post. It's easier than using third-party hosting sites.

This topic isn't referencing use of other images and whether you have the right to use them. That is an entirely different subject and we have other topics here discussing that. This isn't a thread about copyright.

The phrasing used doesn't clarify that for the kind of person who already doesn't understand how this works. Just using a phrase like "your own photos" could make this clearer.