Adventure Pirate Ship by gremreeper1967 - Amati - 1:60

One thing that I do not like about false decks, and this is an issue in most kits, is that while the deck can be pinned down wherever it lies atop a bulkhead, the little flaps in between the bulkheads have no such substructure; they can still flex, resulting in a slight undulation along the deck edge. The "waviness" might not be readily visible, but it can play havoc with things like properly aligning cannons with their ports. Rubber bands will make that problem worse, because of course they will exert a downward force in exactly the wrong places, i.e. between bulkhead extensions. To properly address the issue, some kind of ledges need to be provided between the bulkheads for the deck to be fixed to.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I did try pinning and my thumbs were not happy with me as it is pretty tough to push those pins in the plywood. I'm still thinking about nails but not sure how hard they would be to pull back out. Using weights might be the only reasonable answer. I really appreciate the ideas!!!!!

Edited by Gremreeper1967

10 minutes ago, Gremreeper1967 said:

I did try pinning and my thumbs were not happy with me as it is pretty tough to push those pins in the plywood.

Try push pins -- the kind with the plastic head. And be sure to drill pilot holes to make the job easier and reduce splitting.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

20 hours ago, Gremreeper1967 said:

I did try pinning and my thumbs were not happy with me as it is pretty tough to push those pins in the plywood. I'm still thinking about nails but not sure how hard they would be to pull back out. Using weights might be the only reasonable answer. I really appreciate the ideas!!!!!

Search Model Expo for a nail driver. I’ve had one for 30 years. A great tool for pushing small nails. Drilling a small hole prevents splitting. Also, I saw an identical driver at Ace Hardware at about $5 cheaper than Model Expo while doing a quick Google search this morning. 

37 minutes ago, ragove said:

Search Model Expo for a nail driver. I’ve had one for 30 years. A great tool for pushing small nails. Drilling a small hole prevents splitting. Also, I saw an identical driver at Ace Hardware at about $5 cheaper than Model Expo while doing a quick Google search this morning. 

Thanks for the heads up ragove. I have a drive for in any day. I used push pins yesterday as was recommended by another member.

2 hours ago, Gremreeper1967 said:

First layer of one side done.

I’m not certain if you did or not based on your pictures but I have seen it recommended that you plank both sides at once to minimize the chance of the hull warping. I don’t have enough experience to know how critical that is but it might be something to keep in mind in the future. It’s looking good so far!

1 hour ago, VTHokiEE said:

I’m not certain if you did or not based on your pictures but I have seen it recommended that you plank both sides at once to minimize the chance of the hull warping. I don’t have enough experience to know how critical that is but it might be something to keep in mind in the future. It’s looking good so far!

Hull warping never crossed my mind but I will keep it in mind for future builds. Thank you for the tip.

• 3 weeks later...

It's looking good, very tidy planking btw!😁👍

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

14 hours ago, Snow said:

Hi mate going  great 

At least now we have  more time  to build  

Happy  modelling 

Cheers snowy 

Snowy, we started watching our grand daughter since the closed the day care so I don't get to work on it quite as much right now. She is two and I did have her helping me drill some holes the other day. She is going to catch the bus real early, lol.