Spitfire IX (Late Mark) by Old Collingwood - FINISHED - Eduard - 1/48

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

So, where do you get this "Blue Tack"? that type of soft edge effect I used to do with sponges or elevated stencils......

this method looks so much easier....

Here you go bro,   just a quick search in Flea bay.

OC.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blu-Tack-Original-Reusable-Adhesive-Bostick-Blue-Tac-Pack-Home-Office-Use-New/141623976949?epid=1759135950&hash=item20f97263f5:g:I8AAAOxy2HFSU-lE

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Slight update on this -  I de - masked the camo, it didn't come out too bad  but neded a few areas of  gentle re spraying  - so it was a case of stage by stage  re masking where I dont want over spray to go, I started by covering most of the plane in a plastic bag then ran some lasking tape to trap it  - then more tape and  Blue Tack  to get a  smooth  line, then I touched up around the tail using Grey first.

I will remove the bag and move over the plane doing the same as there are a few areas that need  the same work,    practice makes perfect they say.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

8 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Thank you OC, not going to buy it from evilbay uk but at least I know what I'm looking for locally... 

Thanks..

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Evening all,    more work on the Spit - first I stripped off all the masks and examined the camo closely,  I decided to use some fine wet and dry and give the whole thing a gentle sand over - I then noticed that I was fading the camo and giving the whole surface a worn appearance  with a few areas where the primer is showing  - question does it look normal  or should I  touch up the paintwork, not forgeting  I will be shading the panel lines and high lighting, after the decals are on.

OC.

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

The whole point of masking the way you were is to keep a clean demarkation between the different colors but create a fade over effect in scale between the colors. (it's called feather edging) Extremely hard to do with an airbrush alone.....

It's only my opinion my friend, but it's too rough an edge, there wouldn't be that much wear and tear on the paint, especially in the areas where it's showing greatest... the edge between the colors would remain feathered but still very clear....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

16 minutes ago, Egilman said:

The whole point of masking the way you were is to keep a clean demarkation between the different colors but create a fade over effect in scale between the colors. (it's called feather edging) Extremely hard to do with an airbrush alone.....

It's only my opinion my friend, but it's too rough an edge, there wouldn't be that much wear and tear on the paint, especially in the areas where it's showing greatest... the edge between the colors would remain feathered but still very clear....

To be honest I was very dissapointed by the finish  and  without a doubt its down to my less than clinical masking  as there are some quite tight turnes using the blue tack - the idea  is to roll the it into long  worm shapes   then press it down onto the  fuselage/wings, then  cover the part not to be sprayed with either paper or tape,  the other difficult thing  is the holding the plane without touching areas to be painted - for this I try to attach a stick underneath held in place with lots of  tape, then there is the control paroblem using a blast from the Rattle cans, its too fierce  and if you go to close to make sure the camo lines are filles  - then it can buld up causing runs.

In hind sight it would have been better if I could have masked and painted the  fuse  and wings seperate   like I did the mossie  as there was more  surface area to work from that way.

I guess I am Always going to have these issue having to use the methods and equipment I have to use  - its a viscious  circle with no rememdy.

I see people using fine air brushes and I am so jelous and envious  and know its whats holding me back  - that and not having a man cave or even shed to use use.

OC.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

5 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

I see people using fine air brushes and I am so jelous and envious  and know its whats holding me back  - that and not having a man cave or even shed to use use.

Oh don't get disheartened brother, I owned an airbrush once, used it once, then put it away. (eventually gave it away) I've been rattle canning ever since....

The thing with rattle can that is most important is distance from what your spraying, right between 10-12 inches..... closer and your concentrating the spray too much, farther and the paint is dissapating/drying before it lands... Also important is spraying past the object your painting, multiple light coats, if you have to wait between coats then wait, comes out better in the end...... one other thing is a steady stroke over the object while spraying not too fast, not too slow, it took me almost 10 years to get the hang of it ........ It's like anything else, the more you do it, the better you will get at it...... while I was learning, one model would have a great finish, another would look blobby in places, it comes with time....

Also, there was a time in my life where the only modeling space I had was the kitchen table.... everything had to be picked up and put away before dinner time or bedtime... Admirals orders......

An airbrush isn't holding you back my friend.... That first packard I built for the wife was built and sprayed on the kitchen table....

You have the talent brother, ease comes with more time and repetition.... I'm sure you know the old saying practice makes perfect, and trust me when I say we have all practiced a bunch to get where we are at.....

And learning to rattlecan only was part of that practice....

Quote:

25 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

the other difficult thing  is the holding the plane without touching areas to be painted - for this I try to attach a stick underneath held in place with lots of  tape,

Ok another question? 

Why?

What I would do is find a decent sized cardboard box that can be knocked down when not being used, use it to place your model on when painting therefore you do not have to touch it when painting and you only have to control the paint not both paint and model at the same time....  when done painting knock the box down flat and slip it into a closet.....

Quote:

I'm just so off the idea of having to have to re mask the whole thing all over again  - it feels like a chore  (even a head ache)   almost dont have the interest  tempted to just spray over it in one colour and pretend it was ment that way.

Thankfully the seafire is more straight forward  just Sky underneath  and dark grey ontop.

So glad my other builds I brouht ages ago are single colour  builds  no camo patterning.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

7 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Ok another question? 

Why?

What I would do is find a decent sized cardboard box that can be knocked down when not being used, use it to place your model on when painting therefore you do not have to touch it when painting and you only have to control the paint not both paint and model at the same time....  when done painting knock the box down flat and slip it into a closet.....

Dont have anything to hand like that  - I see how easy it is  with painters using those turntables  hand free painting,    I always seem to rush the painting as I am battling either against wind we get funeled in our patio  or  dodging showers  or insects due to heat.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Cheer up brother, we've all been in the same boat.......

You do beautiful work.... don't let anyone (especially yourself) tell you otherwise....

Quote:

I'm just a bit fed up at the moment  - fed up and angry at the way the world is right now,  and my build is supposed to be some light  relief to de-stress  its actually having the opposite effect  making me tense and wound up.

I will sort it  (probably wont be as first intended) but it will be built    -  remember the Yellow Subamrine  song?     nah only joking aint gonna paint her yellow  -  Pink she  will be.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I could resort to plan num2  - build her as a High Altitude IX  in overall  Ocean Grey  with just the  sea grey underneath, that could work and would still be viable  and No masking for camo.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

18 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

I could resort to plan num2  - build her as a High Altitude IX  in overall  Ocean Grey  with just the  sea grey underneath, that could work and would still be viable  and No masking for camo.

OC.

Give it time my friend, a course will soon reveal itself....

Quote:

Anyone used those camo paint masks you can get  - any good?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

What I was trying to achieve  - deffo not a hard edge  sprayed on  using rubber  masks I believe on the real things.

Pic off the net.

OC.

a72544c22595f7a8f8d2d6187d62376b.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

What I was trying to achieve  - deffo not a hard edge  sprayed on  using rubber  masks I believe on the real things.

Pic off the net.

OC.

That was sprayed directly by hand brother, no masks involved on the real thing.....

Quote:

OC - I’m no expert in this, but have you considered using masking fluid? You can buy this in any art supplies store. You basically paint it on and it dries solid. When you’re done, it simply peels off. I’m thinking of this as an alternative to your blue-tac method.

I have put this aside for now  same with my Seafire  - just need to get my mojo back on those two.

In the mean time  I have started something else from my old stash  - 

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

5 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

I have put this aside for now  same with my Seafire  - just need to get my mojo back on those two.

In the mean time  I have started something else from my old stash  - 

OC.

It will come brother, with a little time it will come... Somebody around here will do a feathered edge camo job..... It's bound to happen... 

Quote:

4 hours ago, gjdale said:

OC - I’m no expert in this, but have you considered using masking fluid? You can buy this in any art supplies store. You basically paint it on and it dries solid. When you’re done, it simply peels off. I’m thinking of this as an alternative to your blue-tac method.

Masking fluid works well for doing hard edge camo, (as long as the base coat of paint adheres well) he's looking for that soft sprayed edge camo effect in the picture..... It's very doable with rattle can, (at least two different ways in my knowledge, probably more of them out there) but the technique is a bit more involved but not much different than his bluetack method.

But you do have to see it done then it all falls into place.....

Somebody will do one to illustrate the technique.... I'm sure of it...

Quote:

38 minutes ago, cog said:

OC I use a stick up it's nose with a lot of bluetack to hold the plane, in that way I can twist and turn the body and wings any which way I want

Thanks Carl,   thats certainly something to consider  when I come back to her.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I've heard of blue tack,  but never tried it.   normally,  I use masking tape cut into shapes,  or strips cut in curves and such.  rattle can will do as well as an airbrush,  but knowing the temperment of whatever you use will determine what outcome you'll have.  with the tape method,  light coats are a must........rattle can must be done in quick passes.   it's sometimes good to let 'em sit.....you'll come up with a plan of attack.   don't change it just yet  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

5 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I've heard of blue tack,  but never tried it.   normally,  I use masking tape cut into shapes,  or strips cut in curves and such.  rattle can will do as well as an airbrush,  but knowing the temperment of whatever you use will determine what outcome you'll have.  with the tape method,  light coats are a must........rattle can must be done in quick passes.   it's sometimes good to let 'em sit.....you'll come up with a plan of attack.   don't change it just yet  ;) 

Thank you Denis.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi all,   I have kicked this one off again  - I have started to re mask by using Blu Tack  but making cleaner curves to cover the rough edges.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 minute ago, gjdale said:

Glad to see you haven’t given up on this one OC.

Thank you Grant,

No  - what I have learned  is to be more careful with rolling the Blu Tack  into smoother smaller  sausage shapes  and longer runs, then to be more precise  how I place them, also I am pressing them down further than I did before  to make sure they have better adhesion  with the plane, hopefully  this way the lines will be smoother.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

7 minutes ago, druxey said:

Thank you for that  - very interesting pic.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.